Photo
- - - - -

Advice for a New Modern Campaign- West Texas.

Modern

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thesystemforce

thesystemforce

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Hey guys. Long-time lurker here, that's a long-time GM as well. Here's what I've got going on- I've been asked to run a CoC campaign for a new group. I know and have gamed with 1-2 of the players, but the other 2-3 are new to me. I've asked questions to make sure they can handle CoC, and my particularly vivid descriptions, and gotten the okay to go with pretty much anything. So, I've started putting this idea together that I really like.

Here's the problem- I feel like I need more stuff to fill the gaps between major events I've planned. While some of it will, of course, be taken up by investigating, interviewing and PC-drive stuff, I feel the need for a few more creepy events, subplots, red herrings, hooks, etc. to keep things interesting even when stuff isn't exploding. 

Here's a synopsis of my plans- 

The plot concerns finding out what happened to a guerrilla documentarian who was currently performing research for a project in West Texas. He was always rather hush-hush about exactly WHAT he was working on, but now he has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.

The initial session or two will be dealing with locating the guy, which actually isn't going to be that difficult. Turns out, he was researching a far-right sovereign citizen group in West Texas and attempted to infiltrate their compound. They, of course, figured him out. Thing is, the PCs will soon find out that they're not holding him hostage. He has, apparently, converted to their crazy religion and is behaving rather... off.

While looking into this, the PCs will also be encountering a ghost that'll be pestering them throughout the mystery. 

As it turns out, several of the people on this compound are on the level. They just strongly believe in personal freedom/being left alone by the government, and felt the need to band together to get those things. But about a dozen of the others are worshipers of Yidhra (from the expanded Mythos). And, using magic derived from her ability to take on aspects of anything that she consumes, one of the cultists actually ate the documentarian, taking on his form/some of his memories.

The ghost is, of course, the mutilated form of the guy they're looking for, torn between getting the PCs to avenge what happened to them, and trying to just get them out of there, because DANGER.

On top of this, Yidhra is planning to use the cult, the other survivalists, and potentially the PCs, in a ritual involving mass sacrifice/cannibalism in order to try to release her daughter Ayi'ig from the canyon she's trapped in in Texas. Needless to say, that's something that is best prevented.

________

I have some NPCs and events worked out, of course. Local law enforcement, kids/elderly folks at the compound, and more. Also have a couple creepy events. With Yidhra having her "lurkers in the desert" I'm thinking a sandstorm wherein the PCs can see the shadows of these massive monsters whenever the storm lightens. But of course, unless they want to go out into the nastiness and run towards the unearthly hellbeasts, they won't get a really good look at them.

Like I said though, trying to come up with some of the bits and pieces that'll fall between these major moments. So, any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

What happens if the players ask the "mundane" sovereign citizens for help? And what if local law enforcement wants to help too - the survivalists need to be convinced to work with them, for example.

Who are the PCs? If they have government ties, they will be on the outside looking in. Maybe several of them will have to prove their bona fides somehow - dodging cameras when they travel to the Bundy ranch for a protest, say.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#3 thesystemforce

thesystemforce

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Asking the citizens for help is definitely a possibility. They'll have to produce some proof of what's going on, which could prove tricky. The citizens are more likely to trust some of their own than they are outsiders/new arrivals. But if the PCs can come by some decent evidence, that's one way they can turn the tide. They do outnumber the cultists even when you remove kids from the equation. 

Same goes for law enforcement. The local police support the right of the folks on the compound to bear arms, practice their personal freedoms, etc. But, if the PCs provide evidence of dangerous criminal activity, they'll find an ally in the police. 

In the cases of both the citizens and the cops, I'm definitely not going for caricatures here. These people do hold far-right beliefs, but they are still people. Some will be sympathetic, some will be pricks. Some will be motivated by protecting their kids/family. Some will be motivated by the belief that outside this place, their freedoms are in danger. As I explained to some other GMs I've been chatting with, these guys aren't going to be running around with a confederate flag tattoo, a NASCAR hat, a beer in one hand, and an assault rifle in the other. And as such, these NPCs will be a potentially useful resource.

We are still in the process of getting the "who are the PCs?" thing finalized. They're all folks that have a past connection to the missing documentarian, whether as a friend, a coworker, a family member, or as a fan that possesses the skills to help find him. No government types at this point, but we've still got a couple players that are up in the air. 

#4 Hardrada55

Hardrada55

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:26 AM

the Marfa lights.  https://tshaonline.o.../articles/lxm01.  Though generally a dry, desert like place, there are historically several artesian springs scattered across West Texas and Eastern New Mexico, e.g. "Comanche springs" "the blue hole", "big spring", "Mescalero springs", "roaring springs".  Perhaps one of these connects with the cavern where Ayi'ig is to be found. 

#5 thesystemforce

thesystemforce

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Got caught up in real life for a few days, but back to working on this now.

Can't believe I forgot about the Marfa lights. Those will be getting some mention, for sure. Whether just as a local red herring or something tied into the Mythos, I haven't quite decided yet. 

Going to search out info on those springs now. They also seem like an excellent idea. TY. :)

#6 Oncorhyncus

Oncorhyncus

Master

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

As far as red-herrings go it is always fun to throw in some socially unacceptable types who can be blamed by the locals for anything bad.  Perhaps have a completely (relatively) innocent compound of Jack-Mormon polygamists or some displaced poly-amorous eastern religious ashram (if you remember the Bhagwan Rajneesh you know what I'm talking about) established nearby to possibly misdirect your investigators . . .

Edited by Oncorhyncus, 07 August 2017 - 10:06 PM.

#7 thesystemforce

thesystemforce

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:46 AM

As far as red-herrings go it is always fun to throw in some socially unacceptable types who can be blamed by the locals for anything bad.  Perhaps have a completely (relatively) innocent compound of Jack-Mormon polygamists or some displaced poly-amorous eastern religious ashram (if you remember the Bhagwan Rajneesh you know what I'm talking about) established nearby to possibly misdirect your investigators . . .

I've got some of those sort of red herrings worked out for the first bit of the campaign.

The first "act" is going to see the PCs just trying to figure out where the documentarian has gone. It's going to be more traditional investigation than the rest of the campaign, interviewing folks, finding a paper trail, search for evidence in the guys hotel room, etc. In this section, the PCs are definitely going to encounter some folks that blame anything weird on anyone that doesn't share their values. They'll also have to deal with folks that don't want to open up because they don't want to tread on anyone's personal freedoms.

Mind you, this will be the shortest section of the campaign. The meat of the adventure will be while the PCs are dealing with and/or at the compound itself.

#8 Hardrada55

Hardrada55

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:18 AM

West Texas cults

https://en.wikipedia...House_of_Yahweh

http://www.houstonpr...n-texas-6395774

#9 alter

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBielsko-Biała, Poland

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Is there Scott Dorward scenario about Texas? In Things We Leave Behind? From Stygian Fox.

My new blog about gaming, books and Lovecraftiana: bigthingswithsmallwings.blogspot.com

#10 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Yes. I don't recall the title, though

#11 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip