#1 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

SPOILERS ALERT!

So... I finally have read this purist scenario. It is really nice. It has space for investigation, for roleplaying and some tough choices. It is creepy and disturbing in some places.

And it has a BIG NASTY FAIL right from the start. =(

What I mean is the whole adventure hook.

The PCs don't know each other but they all arrive at the same time in the same town. Ok. Maybe it is not a coincidence but a call of blood, fate or fatum. Let it be.

And then they see a photo of themselves aged 2-5. And from this they get an idea that they are connected.

WTF???

How can a person totally not remember himself at such an age?? I don't remember my childhood day by day, but hey! I'm pretty aware of where I was and what people were around me.

I could understand if the person don't remember himself at the age of 1 month, 10 months, 1 year - that's pretty ok. But in this case I don't think the players can recognise themselves at the photo at all!

And this little fact ruins can ruin the whole scenario if played as written!

So, has anybodye made any twists or changes to this scenario to void this fail?

I think about a letter from a dying priest who summons all the PCs to a town. By the time the PCs arrive the priest is dead, of course, but they can investigate and find his notes about church records and birth/death book, and after they look at these books - they find their names and dates of birth and have a vague idea that they are connected. And investigating deeper - they find out that at the age of 0,5-1 year they were all given away to other families.

And then the scenario goes on...

#2 Mulciber

Mulciber

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hmmm, well, obviously it doesn't work for you but I think I'd make a virtue out of the fact that the characters *can't* remember the incident of the photo or any time previous to it. It has the potential to be reasonably unsettling in it's own way, surely, if like you say people should remember details of themselves from that age.

I have to say, beyond the vaguest of things I honestly couldn't recall much detail of my life before I was four or five.

In any case, if you hate it, change it. Your solution sounds workable.
"Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives."

#3 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

I have to say, beyond the vaguest of things I honestly couldn't recall much detail of my life before I was four or five.

Well, you may not recall ALL, but I'm pretty sure you can recall where you lived and at least what your house was like.

And such a major event as changing a family? Can it pass unnoticed to a child?

As for the "They *can't* remember" - that's quite an option, but there is not a word about it in a scenario.

Again, it may be mysterious and creepy to players - but the Keeper *has* to know why they can't remember their childhood and why they doesn't it bother them.

All in all I mean only that it is an interesting scenario with a major flaw that can ruin it right from the beginning. =)

#4 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

Yeah. I thought not remembering was meant to be ominous.

#5 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

It was fine when we played it but if it lacks verisimilitude for you then there's no problem with changing it. The characters were adopted at a very young age which is why it is suggested they don't remember much. I've got a pretty good memory but I don't remember much from the age of 2 or 3. And these characters have not only been separated from each other but haven't seen early photographs either. I recognise myself in early photos, but I've seen them many times. We had a recent quiz at work where we had to recognise our directors from their childhood photographs. There were a few where it was obvious but nobody, out of around 200 entries, got them all right.

All the priest, if you use that device and set it in England, is likely to be a vicar.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#6 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

Well, I only mean that adopting, been separate from mother and father at the age of 2 or 3 - how can it be forgotten? In the scenario it is described pretty good how the PCs *remember* the house and small details and that's OK for me, but the main event... I just can't buy into it. =)

Yeah. I thought not remembering was meant to be ominous.

Yeah, that's ok, but WHY? It is not explained.

It was fine when we played it but if it lacks verisimilitude for you then there's no problem with changing it. The characters were adopted at a very young age which is why it is suggested they don't remember much. I've got a pretty good memory but I don't remember much from the age of 2 or 3. And these characters have not only been separated from each other but haven't seen early photographs either. I recognise myself in early photos, but I've seen them many times. We had a recent quiz at work where we had to recognise our directors from their childhood photographs. There were a few where it was obvious but nobody, out of around 200 entries, got them all right.

Well, and then why shold PCs recognize themselves on photographs if they haven't seen themselves on the photos of the same age before?

All the priest, if you use that device and set it in England, is likely to be a vicar.

That would be a notable and atmospheric detail, thanks.

#7 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

I have read accounts of people being removed from a family around 3 and not remembering them at all, especially if the new family never mentions it. Certainly there have been studies where false memories are implanted, even in adults. I have photos in which I can recognize myself at age 2-5, but none of the people in the photo with me, who were probably neighbors or friends of my parents.

Maybe the first person (or the oldest) to see the photo recognizes himself, turns it over, and there are the first names of these others that he thought were strangers.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#8 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

One more thing to consider - why give yur children away to another family? What's the point? To keep them away from their destiny?

And the main question - where are all other worm-people? Are they real at all?

#9 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

One more thing to consider - why give yur children away to another family? What's the point? To keep them away from their destiny?

Maybe you can't change their diapers when you're a worm?
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#10 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

And the main question - where are all other worm-people? Are they real at all?

To spread the worms around the globe ?

SPOILERS...

Once you change into a worm in the scenario you go under the earth to live so any worm people still above ground look "normal" because they haven't mutated yet.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#11 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

but how many are they?

We have Jack. We have Geoffrey. But not a word about the others.

Why did they ruin the village? HOW did they do it? Why once in 119 years?

Did they simply start to borrow and the houses collapsed and they killed all who survived?

It is said that they do it to "claim their land" - but how do they claim it? They kill everybody - and that's it. Then they leave and go underground for another 119 years - so what did they claim?

Is it an army of creatures going from underground rampaging? Or is it just 4-5 of them, strong enough to kill maim and destroy?

Or are they supposed to be an unseen everpresented menace not showing their faces at all?

Again, after Jack contacts PC they may easily aim for finding him. Then what?

Maybe you can't change their diapers when you're a worm?

Maybe, but thay adopted the children of age 3-4-5. ))))

To spread the worms around the globe ?

But it looks like they always return to Manesty when time comes and the worm-people reside under Mannesty and the only purpose of their existence seems to be destroying Mannesty once every 119 years. =) Sounds very Gygaxish ;) A monster in the room for the sake of monster.

Once you change into a worm in the scenario you go under the earth to live so any worm people still above ground look "normal" because they haven't mutated yet.

That's right. But what provokes the mutation?

Geoffrey is a brother of one of the investigators - so he must be between age 30-35 as suggested in "Creating your own investigators" part.

Jack was born in 1870 (see timeline). When he married Mary he was 55 and he disappeared 4-5 years later - at the age of 49-50. 

So, looks like Age is not a push for mutation. Then what? =)

All the above questions are not to ruin the scenario or to show how incosistable it is.

All those questions are for new Keepers to keep in mind so that they are more prepared for their games. I hope this tread would be of help to them.

#12 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

I've run this scenario twice now as written with no changes and it has worked beautifully each time. The players tend to go with the concept.

Also, as GBSteve has mentioned, we often don't directly remember much of what happened to us when we were 2-5, just snatches of memory that are compounded by the things we are told by family members - parents, older siblings etc. If the investigators are removed from their parents and home at an early age, separated from each other and moved to other families, then it is less likely that they remember each other and their initial childhood. 

The scenario plays on this by making the reveal that all the investigators are related to each other (and at the beginning most will only think it is a potential relation - the fact it is real will increasingly dawn on them over the course of play) weird and unsettling. Also, those snatches of memory from an earlier life come out in play - memories of the wallpaper in their old home, those that hark back to days in the old schoolhouse and so on.

In reference to why the children are given away - this is clearly explained in the scenario. Victoria, the first wife, sends them away for adoption without her husbands approval in order to try and remove them from their destiny to become the monsters they are bound to become. This makes the fact that the investigators have all been drawn back to the Lakes all the more creepy and ominous, especially when they discover Geoffrey and the fact that he is undergoing the change...

However, as others have said, if you don't find something in a scenario to fit with how you think if should go, simply change it.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura