#1 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Has anybody tried adapting Masks for Pulp? I am about to run Masks for the first time and I'm reading a lot about TPKs, potential TPKs and the like...not to mention many people seem convinced that the campaign is a far pulpier heroic adventurer's affair than a proper Lovecraftian cosmic horror mystery. So those two aspects got me thinking: What about purposefully making it pulpy by running the Pulp Cthulhu ruleset and simultaneously giving the players more rope to hang themselves with?

Would love to hear if anybody's done this, thought of doing this or any issues/benefits anybody might see.

#2 alter

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBielsko-Biała, Poland

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

You know what? Same thing here! I'm about to embark on this grand journey with only my wife as a player. We will be using Pulp Cthulhu as our to go system. Don't know if I will play some pre session, but it is possibility to check out how is Pulp Cthulhu in game terms. I think that next weekend I've start with New York chapter. Maybe then I'll write something after the initial session. 

My new blog about gaming, books and Lovecraftiana: bigthingswithsmallwings.blogspot.com

#3 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

You know what? Same thing here! I'm about to embark on this grand journey with only my wife as a player. We will be using Pulp Cthulhu as our to go system. Don't know if I will play some pre session, but it is possibility to check out how is Pulp Cthulhu in game terms. I think that next weekend I've start with New York chapter. Maybe then I'll write something after the initial session. 

The Pulp system is pretty darn nifty, imo. I've had three sessions with it so far, (currently running 'The Two Headed Serpent' for a different group) and it's pretty easy to cherry-pick which elements you want to incorporate into vanilla CoC and which not to. For Masks, I am thinking low-to-medium pulp, forgoing the psychic powers, weird science and death-defying luck-spending (which my THS group is chock full of), since Masks seems like it is inherently pulpy yet was written aeons before the Pulp ruleset existed. 

#4 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

If you want to get into the whole Pulp vibe, you can do that. But Pulp characters really aren't that powerful and if you wanted to just run a straight CoC horror campaign and give the investigators a better chance to avoid trivial deaths and stagger through to the end, it'll do that too and do so without giving them any reasonable chance to beat anything truly dire.

#5 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

But Pulp characters really aren't that powerful

Don't tell MY pulp coc group that!  ;-)

Seriously though, I think psychic powers, talents, insane talents, weird science and luck buy-outs are pretty dang powerful in and of themselves. But you bring up a good point that I didn't really consider: Just upping the HP of the characters. I dunno. I do think that the flavor of the campaign is inherently pulpy, so having a "pulp-lite" vibe to it might be nice. As long as I'm clear in the char creation that certain things will be off the table (like psychic powers, weird science, etc).

#6 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

The psychic powers and weird science in Pulp Cthulhu don't seem all that powerful or unbalancing and it seems that Luck spends are fairly finite, though I haven't implemented them. I expect you could go Pulp Cthulhu in Mon and it would still be plenty challenging.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Pulp