8 replies to this topic

#1 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:21 AM

Chances are that if you have ever run Call of Cthulhu games set in the modern-day era, you will have bought a copy of Chaosium's excellent scenario anthology "The Stars Are Right!" First published in 1992, then again in a second edition in 2004, the book is Chaosium's only collection of contemporary scenarios published to date. It's writing team boasts some of the best names from 1990s era Call of Cthulhu (including Richard Watts, Kevin Ross, John Scott Tynes, and Gary Sumpter -- just to name a few).

While the scenarios in "The Stars Are Right!" are generally well-written and tackle a bunch of modern-day horror themes, there's no denying that the fact that most of the scenarios are now 25 years old does lead to a few anachronisms. Most of these relate to the ways that technology -- in particular information and communication technology -- has changed over the past few decades. Fortunately, game scenarios being somewhat fluid things, the majority of the anachronisms can be easily fixed with a combination of small plot tweaks and conversions of old information sources from older to newer formats (e.g., printed newspaper clipping to online news article).

cr1002-the-stars-are-right-upgrade-pack-

To make this process of "modernising" the scenarios from "The Stars Are Right!" easier, Cthulhu Reborn have created a free PDF "upgrade pack" (which also updates the scenario's stats up to 7th Edition). This is available right now for download direct from our site

The upgrade pack contains Keeper resources which fall into three categories:
  • New versions of each of the scenario handouts, converted to more "modern" forms and rendered in full prop-quality detail. For some scenarios we've also created new handouts (things that are alluded to in the scenario, but never explicitly provided as handouts)
  • Some brief notes on ideas for tweaking plot elements in the scenarios to make them feel more "contemporary" -- mostly these are slight, but one of the scenarios (Steve Hatherley's intriguing "Fractal Gods") has some deeply embedded anachronistic elements that warrant some more significant rewriting [sorry Steve]
  • Updated statistic blocks and skill roll descriptions, which bring the scenarios up to 7th Edition compatibility
The montage below shows just a few of the 48 handouts that are included in the pack:

cr1002-the-stars-are-right-upgrade-pack-

We hope that fans of modern-day Call of Cthulhu will consider using these revised handouts and resources to revitalise the scenarios in "The Stars Are Right!" and terrorise their players anew. And if you *don't* currently own a copy of "The Stars Are Right!" the good news is that Chaosium still has print copies (and PDFs) of the 2nd Edition for sale on their website.

[Legal Note: The Stars Are Right! Upgrade Pack is released under a Creative Commons license, and complies with the terms of Chaosium's policies on "fan material" which must always remain free of charge. The pack is not a standalone product, and will not be helpful unless you already own one of the two editions of the Chaosium book. Call of Cthulhu is a trademark of Chaosium Inc.]

Thanks,

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#2 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Dean!

#3 lagrippe

lagrippe

Neophyte

• 9 posts
  • LocationOeiras, Portugal

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Superb!

#4 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

Thanks a bunch DCE. I ran Fractal Gods using Cubicle 7's Laundry setting and had a great time with it. As an IT professional it took me waaay back to early days before I got into the business although later on I did get the chance to handle a 5MB hard drive and 8" floppy disks while working on hardware and software for NASA. Some of the equipment  I had to deal with during the 90's had been in use  for some of the early Gemini and Apollo missions thirty years before but with custom real-time operating system it was cheaper to keep the old hardware and software running than go out to tender for low usage fresh software and hardware.

Sounds like there should be a plot for a game there somewhere.

Nigel

Edited by nclarke, 10 July 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#5 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

Thanks a bunch DCE. I ran Fractal Gods using Cubicle 7's Laundry setting and had a great time with it. As an IT professional it took me waaay back to early days before I got into the business although later on I did get the chance to handle a 5MB hard drive and 8" floppy disks while working on hardware and software for NASA. Some of the equipment  I had to deal with during the 90's had been in use  for some of the early Gemini and Apollo missions thirty years before but with custom real-time operating system it was cheaper to keep the old hardware and software running than go out to tender for low usage fresh software and hardware.

Nigel, I know exactly what you mean -- going back and re-reading all the older "modern" scenarios certainly took me back to an early era in my own career of messing about with IT stuff. Back when a lot of the 90s scenarios were written the cutting edge was BBS systems ... now I wonder whether most readers would need to google that term to even know what it is :)

Hopefully the CR handout pack will refurbish the scenarios enough to keep them relevant for at least another few decades ... but doubtless someone will need to refresh them again when cool "now" technologies are supplanted by the next big thing.

Dean (from Adelaide)

#6 beasterbrook

beasterbrook

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

Excellent once again!

Brette:)

#7 AndreasDavour

AndreasDavour

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing!

--
The Omnipotent Eye
Blogging about new school, old school and everything in between

#8 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:04 AM

Thanks Andreas & Brett,

We're thinking we will probably make more of these types of packs ... if you've got suggestions about which older books could benefit from this kind of treatment, feel free to suggest them over on this thread.

Dean (from Adelaide)

#9 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

Good props, but with the two Peter Van Dyson book covers I would have liked it if they had been designed as flat to the page, it would make it easier to make fake book covers for props (For example something you could wrap around a hardback book.)

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release