Call of Cthulhu to Mini Six conversion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rimren

rimren

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

What if you want to run a Pulp game but you don't like Trails of Cthulhu? What if you want to run a quick Conan game, but can't use Cthulhu Dark Ages because, well, you want it to be quick! Mini Six seems a good solution, but it lacks Sanity mechanic, and its Magic system is incompatible with Call of Cthulhu. Fortunately, someone has already made Sanity mechanic, so I've tried to convert Magic system, and then put it all together in a cohesive whole.

I've decided to post this in case that someone finds it useful. The file only covers this, problematic, area. Mini Six is so simple that creatures can be created by the GM in literally mere seconds, and so I'm of the opinion that there's no need for any sort of comprehensive conversion.

Edited by rimren, 09 July 2017 - 07:04 PM.

#2 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Why is Mythos an attribute instead of a skill?

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#3 rimren

rimren

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:58 AM

Why is Mythos an attribute instead of a skill?

Because of the way in which skills work under Open D6 system. If you have 3D in Wit, for example, you have 3D in all the untrained Wit skills (training a skill only adds additional dice to these dice, specialization adds one additional die when using a skill for a specific purpose). So, obviosly Mythos cannot be a skill under an attribute, but must be a free floating skill which effectively means an attribute.

For example, if Ron Presely has on his character sheet Charm 2D, Perform 5D (Singing), that means he has bought three dice and a specialization in Perform. So when singing he rolls six dice, but when dancing he rolls only five dice to reach the target number. Let's say that he's got no more skills written down under Charm attribute on his character sheet. That means he rolls only two dice when, for example, trying to seduce someone.

Edited by rimren, 09 July 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#4 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, what I'm wondering is why you wouldn't use Wit as the basis for untrained Mythos rolls when you're correlating contents etc. 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#5 rimren

rimren

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, what I'm wondering is why you wouldn't use Wit as the basis for untrained Mythos rolls when you're correlating contents etc.

Well, as I've said I'm not comfortable with Mythos being common knowledge as would be implied by such an arrangement (because increasing Wit would increase Mythos in such a case). That being said, nothing prevents that as it is now (if I correctly understand what you mean). Player can still roll Wit, or even Computer perhaps (character does it by writing data analysis software for example), to do that.

#6 DrMonster

DrMonster

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

BRP is a classic game system but Mini Six is wonderful for low-preparation quick and dirty role playing. Given time constrains and fickle players, Mini Six is often my go-to game.

#7 rimren

rimren

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

BRP is a classic game system but Mini Six is wonderful for low-preparation quick and dirty role playing. Given time constrains and fickle players, Mini Six is often my go-to game.

Yeah Mini Six is good, but default Barebones Edition book, well, really is bare bones (though admittedly, remarkably lot was cramped into such a small space) so I tend to use Mighty Six as a Mini Six reference.

It should be noted that Savage World is somewhat similar to Mini Six, and has already got its own Mythos game (three technically, if we don't count Primeval Thule--The Realms of Cthulhu, Achtung! Cthulhu, and The Savage World of Solomon Kane)

Edited by rimren, 28 August 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#8 rimren

rimren

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

Just found out about free Into the Shadows RPG. It's basically a conversion of CoC into OpenD6 (Mini Six is a simplification of OpenD6), and even has Delta Green conversion guide.