• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MasterFwiffo

MasterFwiffo

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

So I've been busy propmaking and running scenarios in my campaign, and I've hit a stumble.  I'm planning to run "In the Shadows", Song of the Spheres in a few weeks.  As the scenario is heavily music based, I would be remiss if I didn't use the plethora of modern technology to give this a soundtrack.  And while I've easily found some selections from the Opera Aida, and a few Walt'z by Strauss, I have no idea where to begin for the actual Song of the Spheres.  It's described as havingg a single sustained note that increases in volume, and conveys an anxious feeling of wait, it contains flute and pains, and a woman solo.

Now, I don't need all that exactly (I don't *actually* want to drive my players mad or summon Tru'nembra!), but I'd love to have a piece that is disconcerting and unsettling to play for the big reveal.

Anyone have any ideas?

#2 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:40 AM

You might listen to some Respighi and Music of the Spheres.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#3 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

George Crumb's music has some very weird sounds.  "Ancient Voices of Children" has vocal effects, and "Makrokosmos" and "Star-Child" very cosmic themes.

Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos

#4 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hey Fwiffo ... I have no suggestions about musical pieces for your run of Gary Sumpter's excellent scenario "Song of the Spheres", but I did want to make sure you knew of the existence of a free set of PDF handouts that Cthulhu Reborn published for "In The Shadows" last year.

If you don't already have them, here's the link: http://www.rpgnow.co...-In-The-Shadows

Dean (from Adelaide)

Edited by dce, 08 July 2017 - 08:32 AM.

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#5 MasterFwiffo

MasterFwiffo

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

Good suggestions everyone!  I think I'm going with George Crumb's Star-Child (as it has an operatic singer and it fits the theme), though honestly, had I more patience, combining Voices of the Children with Makrokosmos would be almost exactly as described, but I'm not sure I have the technical capability to do that well.

-edit- I did it!  Not as elegantly as I would like, but I mixed part of Makrokomos into part of Voices of the Children and I have a suitable stand in,

And yes, I do have the upgrade pack, and will be making good use of it!   :D  It will also be useful when I run In the Shadows of Death in a few weeks.   :D

Edited by MasterFwiffo, 09 July 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#6 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

If you want some quite literal music of the spheres, I always like this soundtrack from NASA: the radio emissions of Saturn's rings, frequency shifted into the audible spectrum. It's my go to for Flying Polyps, Servitors of the outer gods and insane flautists in general.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#7 MasterFwiffo

MasterFwiffo

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:39 PM

If you want some quite literal music of the spheres, I always like this soundtrack from NASA: the radio emissions of Saturn's rings, frequency shifted into the audible spectrum. It's my go to for Flying Polyps, Servitors of the outer gods and insane flautists in general.

Oh I've heard those! I'll save them for future use.

#8 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

Electronic music pioneer Delia Derbyshire created a short, haunting piece titled "Music of the Spheres".  Her piece "Ziwzih Ziwzih OO-OO-OO" featuring lyrics in a mock-alien language might also be of interest.

Edited by Travern, 28 July 2017 - 03:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age