Photo
- - - - -

MON keeping bested by beers- help needed :)

Jazz Age

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mhendric

mhendric

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

Dear all,

in our most recent MoN London session, my investigators asked their beloved Edward Gavigan (a friendly albeit nerdy gentleman scholar) for help in tracking down the Brotherhood of the Black Pharao and rolled a very good result.
I was unwilling to blow Edwards cover and remembered his quarrel with Tawfik al Sayed and him being described as a strategic mastermind. Thus, I wanted to have him sell out Tawfik in a strategic master move, but due to a few bottles of beer in my stomach, I may have played it a bit too short-sighted. The current scenario is this:

1. Edward told them to visit Tawfiks shop at a certain date that coincides with the next Gavigan Estate party (so Tawfik is not at home). He will plant evidence at his house in advance, so they will find a bloody club, arrest Tawfik and "solve" the London cultist murder. This would give Gavigan the upper hand in his power struggle, would it not be for 2.
2. The investigators know about the Blue Pyramid trucks and plan to follow them at the same day they arrest Tawfik by splitting up the party (a move my boozefilled head did not expect). They will thus be able to simply deduct Tawfik is at Gavigans estate and both are vile cultists.
3. The raid on Tawfiks shop will take place this week in a lunch session, while the "following the trucks" plot will take place in a separate session next week.

Thus, Edwards move of framing Tawfik is now incredible foolish. In addition, Tawfik's valuable Mirror of Gal will be lost for the cult. I want to repair this by adjusting his plans somewhat. What I've come up with so far is to do one or more of the following:

1. Redirect the trucks to visit a different place (but how will my investigators learn of Gavigans Estate?).
2. Launch an attack on whoever follows the truck. Launch an attack on whoever takes the mirror of Gal. Force Tawfik into hiding by "tipping him of". (but how will my investigators learn of Gavigans estate)
3. Have Gavigan Steal the mirror of Gal beforehand while planting the evidence (but how does he ensure him not being connected via the trucks?)
4. Have the truck visit the estate, but not have any evil cultist rituals take place (but how will my investigators not fall asleep during such a boring session)

I am not really satisfied with any of the options, so I thought maybe some of you have a good idea how Gavigan could set this up without comprimising himself too much. Any advice or questions are welcome :)

#2 Procopius

Procopius

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationChicago, unfortunately

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

Why not let the Investigators score the win? There's still plenty that can go wrong for the investigators at the estate, and indeed, throughout the rest of the campaign.

#3 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

I think Procopius has the right of it.

But HOW will the investigators "arrest" Tawfik (unless one or more are Metropolitan Police members)? I presume what you actually mean is that they will turn over their finds to the Yard. In that case, Tawfik will perhaps be taken in for questioning, but the evidence may not be sufficient for an indictment, especially since it will only be the investigators' word that the items were found on his premises in the course of an illegal and warrantless break-in.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#4 mhendric

mhendric

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Why not let the Investigators score the win? There's still plenty that can go wrong for the investigators at the estate, and indeed, throughout the rest of the camp

You are right, I may just be too hard on my players. But spinning such a dumb intrigue seems very out-of-character for Gavigan, and I am worried what I could answer if they ask me "Why the hell did Gavigan give away his cover without any reason?". I feel like my beer consumption may have turned Gavigan into a fool :D

I think Procopius has the right of it.

But HOW will the investigators "arrest" Tawfik (unless one or more are Metropolitan Police members)? I presume what you actually mean is that they will turn over their finds to the Yard. In that case, Tawfik will perhaps be taken in for questioning, but the evidence may not be sufficient for an indictment, especially since it will only be the investigators' word that the items were found on his premises in the course of an illegal and warrantless break-in.

Valid point that I didnt explain, sorry about that. They will raid Tawfik's house with the police in the hope of boosting their prestige with the Metropolitan Police. As they will find a bloody murder weapon, but not Tawfik (who is on his way to the cultist orgy), they will probably end up with something like a pending arrest.

But both of you may be right, I am overcomplicating matters. A new plan:
1. I ask the players to split between raiding the house and following the trucks.
2. I assume Gavigan doesnt know some investigators follow the truck and will be taken by surprise.
3. I schedule a separate session with the remaining investigators following the trucks, giving them the full "cultist orgy" programme and see how they play the situation.

The only open question would be whether Gavigan will steal the mirror of gal while planting the evidence.

Does this sound more sensible?

#5 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

Unless Gavigan allows them to disclose that he is the source of their information about Tawfik -- which means the police will come round to talk to HIM -- there's scant evidence for the police to go base a warrant for a search of Tawfik's premises. Without Gavigan's corroboration, how do the investigators claim to know about this? How does Gavigan explain his knowledge?

It appears that Gavigan has made a hash of things indeed. Perhaps his best course of action is to call the investigators and tell them he was mistaken or that he no longer believes the evidence is present and they should cancel the whole thing.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#6 mhendric

mhendric

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

Nice point. He repeatedly mentioned not wanting to be disclosed, so I can simply make the police refuse providing a warrant, have the investigators roll in on their own and thereby weaken their findings, have them decide between finding a plausible explanation for their break-in or ratting out their lovely friend Gavigan (or keeping their findings to themselves). Thats gonna be some though decisions, which in turn makes me much happier about the whole affair. Thanks!

#7 Insanity

Insanity

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

When my group split up, one loner remaining at the Blue Pyramid, the other four following the truck, those four we're never seen from again.

They decided to force their way past the gate and make their way to the house. It was ritual sacrifice night and things did not go well.

"When all else fails, give up and go to the library."

#8 Procopius

Procopius

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

You are right, I may just be too hard on my players. But spinning such a dumb intrigue seems very out-of-character for Gavigan, and I am worried what I could answer if they ask me "Why the hell did Gavigan give away his cover without any reason?". 

I think one could easily argue that Gavigan rates the investigators as less of a threat than Tewfik, who he can't move directly against. He's got his fog monsters and an army of disposable cultists who can kill the investigators at any time. The estate is a very tough nut to crack, and IIRC, there are armed guards at the gate, a substantial number of them, plus a moat, and a bridge that can be closed.

#9 mhendric

mhendric

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

When my group split up, one loner remaining at the Blue Pyramid, the other four following the truck, those four we're never seen from again.

They decided to force their way past the gate and make their way to the house. It was ritual sacrifice night and things did not go well.

That is a risk that should not be underestimated, I reckon. I will try to make the party split evenly (3/3), in order to minimize story coherence damage, as well as depict the mansion as grisly as possible, hoping they stay on their guard.

Procopius, a good comment. This does make a lot of sense- I will present the guards as barring entry, and have them come up with unlikely actions such as breaking in themselves. Gavigan, gentleman that he is,  may have underestimated the investigators willingness to ignore property rights :D

Edit: Guys, as always, this advice is awesome. Really helps making up my thoughts about the next sessions, your help is really appreciated!

Edited by mhendric, 26 June 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#10 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

The only open question would be whether Gavigan will steal the mirror of gal while planting the evidence.

Does this sound more sensible?

Yes, your new plans sounds more sensible (and fun for the players... albeit dangerous for the one group).

If Gavigan knew the mirror's location and thought he could safely retrieve it, he would've done so already. Probably easier to have the police (or investigators) obtain it for him (and use his position to have it safely 'returned' to the Penhew Foundation).

#11 Procopius

Procopius

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Yes, your new plans sounds more sensible (and fun for the players... albeit dangerous for the one group).

If Gavigan knew the mirror's location and thought he could safely retrieve it, he would've done so already. Probably easier to have the police (or investigators) obtain it for him (and use his position to have it safely 'returned' to the Penhew Foundation).

That could even be Gavigan's brilliant plan: "expose" Tewfik as a bungling incompetent unworthy of the mirror, then disposing of the investigators via enraged cultists and "retrieving" the mirror for the cult, with himself as the new custodian (naturally). As for Tewfik: 

#12 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

I think this will be a pretty rewarding revelation.

The investigators know about the Blue Pyramid trucks and plan to follow them at the same day they arrest Tawfik by splitting up the party (a move my boozefilled head did not expect). They will thus be able to simply deduct Tawfik is at Gavigans estate and both are vile cultists.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#13 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:46 PM

With Gavigan's position in society, he is not likely to be sneaking around breaking in to homes and businesses. He has trusted flunkies for that.

M

#14 Sir Wulf

Sir Wulf

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:40 PM

Perhaps Gavigan planned all along to steal some choice items from Tawfik:  The investigators are being set up as his fall guys, taking the blame for the missing items.  Gavigan knows that the investigators have involved the police, but expects that his wealth and social stature will discourage local officials from investigating him.  After all, those murders "clearly show signs of having been committed by depraved foreigners.  True Englishmen would never commit such grotesqueries."

Edited by Sir Wulf, 29 June 2017 - 11:46 PM.

#15 mhendric

mhendric

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

Ran the first part today, the raid of Tawfik's shop. It went great, the investigators are torn between trusting Gavigan and thinking he set them up. The second group will take action next week, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the support!

#16 Procopius

Procopius

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

The second group will take action next week, I'll keep you posted. 

Please do! I'm very curious to see how this plays out.

#17 mhendric

mhendric

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hey guys, I just ran the second session, it was great fun, thanks to all your help!

The group consisted of 3 investigators, one of them a "spare" character thrown in cause one player could not attend.

They followed the truck and were cautious, saw the guards and made up a very elaborate plan to take them out- Yalesha the dancer was feigning that her car broke down to lure the guards to the other two investigators. The plan semi-backfired, but opened the gates as they took out two guards. They took an awful lot of time to hide the bodies, and were spotted by cultists, which they initially didnt notice. Barely managing to fight them off, Yalesha ran back to the car, while the other two went into hiding. Even though I tried my best to easen their dice-throwing, an investigator critically failed his roll and was immediately seized by an angry mob, while the other stayed hidden. To my great unfortune, Yalesha came back with the car as they planned to ambush the stele on top of the hill by driving in like maniacs, shotgun-blasting, a plan that seemed less suicidal to them then to me. "The Great Escape"- style they drove over and blasted a dozen of cultists full-throttle, mangled maniacs bringing their car to a halt. They noticed there were outnumbered 20 to 1 though, and tried to flee, but to no avail.... While the shotgun-wielding german tried to buy time for the escape, Yalesha could get the car running again, but couldnt turn it around! Not knowing where they would end up, they tried to flee in the opposite direction of where they came from, when the unsettling singing that haunted their great action came to a halt. She turned around and saw Tewfik and ...... GAVIGAN, LOOKING STRAIGHT IN HER EYES, GRINNING! What a surprise to our naive Yalesha. She failed her power roll, certainly under the impression of this last revelation, while Gavigan rolled a 3. Needless to say, the car blew up in a fireball fitting the Michael Bay-style ambush they planned.

The players were enthusiastic about the session, albeit a bit saddened by their deaths. It was huge fun- thanks for helping me set up this campaign!

#18 Procopius

Procopius

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

There's still plenty that can go wrong for the investigators at the estate

How right I was.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age