4 replies to this topic

#1 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Pandemic over Arkham—A review of Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, the Lovecraftian co-operative board game set in Lovecraft Country based on Pandemic and published by Z-Man Games.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#2 vsolfronk

vsolfronk

Master

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBirmingham

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

I have the game- just haven't played it yet. I like the Lovecraft atmosphere of the game.

No good deed goes unpunished...

#3 B9DV8

B9DV8

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:52 AM

We bought it for Christmas and played it a few times with two and three players.  One session we got pummeled with an Evil Stirs early and never recovered and another session we mopped up everything quite readily. Overall the consensus is that we like the game. The absence of heavy book-keeping and rules debates a la Arkham Horror also leads to more harmony in the household.  

Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. still beat us up silly but at least it went a bit smoother with the app.

#4 Munchezuma

Munchezuma

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationLemont, Pennsylvania

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

I am quite fond of Reign of Cthulhu. I find it to be much more than a re-skin of Pandemic, and at the same time I feel it delivers a great experience without the time, headaches, and fiddliness of Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, and some of the other big box games.

#5 vincentVV

vincentVV

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

I'm a big fan of Pandemic, so I was looking forward to playing P:RoC.

So I did... and was a little dissapointed. =(

The game is great and it is well-made, yet..After playing in Mansions and Eldritch Horror I felt a terrible lack of atmosphere and story-telling parts. I know that there is no story in Pandemic too, but still...

Apart from this - the mechanic is interesting, the game is quick enough and easy to learn. We've played it 4 times already... yet it is in no way a rival to classic Pandemic and it can't beat it in any aspect.

But if you don't compare P:RoC to Pandemic or if you've never played Pandemic - then it is a great and interesting game. =)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jazz Age, Review