37 replies to this topic

#21 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

I'll try and start finding time to post them up (at least those that are not stepping on Chaosium's toes).

However at the moment my head is full of One Ring. This weekend I'm in Manchester with friends and Tolkien role playing. My brain can only cope with one game at a time.

*** My new book: The Science of Food ***

#22 Friedland

Friedland

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:42 AM

I'm starting the Two Headed Serpent campaign with our group next week.

I must say Marty's recordings have been an inspiration.

As most of my players are beginners, we've done several one shot scenarios with pre-gen characters. The character creation intro finally convinced me to get them rolling up their own. I think using a similar method of cut and pasting some copies of the relevant sections from the Pulp supplement, we can get this done quickly.

#23 lagrippe

lagrippe

Neophyte

• 9 posts
  • LocationOeiras, Portugal

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

I'll try and start finding time to post them up (at least those that are not stepping on Chaosium's toes).

However at the moment my head is full of One Ring. This weekend I'm in Manchester with friends and Tolkien role playing. My brain can only cope with one game at a time.

When you have the time, please do!

I am a die-hard enthusiast of prop and handout use in our games and would love to see you work.

#24 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Finally had a moment to dig out the files for the notebooks I made. Here they are at a reasonable resolution for making up into A5 spiral bound booklets. I used Vistaprint to make the images into what they call "photo notebooks". I created images for the front and back cover, and the inside covers too. 

Front cover - I tried to make the style of the other Caduceus stationery and maps

CaduceusNotebook_1.jpg

Inside front cover - a calendar for 1933 that was supplied in the excellent Resource Pack by Chaosium.

CaduceusNotebook_2.jpg

Inside back cover - a couple of period adverts found on the internet. Slightly distorted to fit A5

CaduceusNotebook_3.jpg

Back cover - including address for a period printer of stationery

CaduceusNotebook_4.jpg

Let me know what you think below...

#25 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

Find out how combat accountancy saved at least one palyer character in:

El Toro del Diablo

[File retired.]

and this is the accompanying Keeper Diary

#26 RogerBW

RogerBW

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Locationnear London, UK

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

I tend to do things somewhat the other way round from Marty - I like PDFs when I'm preparing the game (I can quickly look through multiple books and search for the specific thing I'm after), but I prefer a hardcopy book when I'm actually at the table. For me a laptop has a distancing effect something like a GM's screen, so even if I use one it'll be off to the side.

For adventures (whether written by me or published by someone else) I always have the active notes on disposable paper (copied from the book if necessary), because I like to be able to write in changes as they happen - this encounter happened here so it won't happen there, he's now dead, etc.

Role-playing: Tekeli-li including podcast "Improvised Radio Theatre - With Dice" and the new home of Whartson Hall Gamers
3d printing for boardgames, RPGs, etc.

#27 ContentsMayVary

ContentsMayVary

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

@RogerBW: I use an 10" tablet to view the PDFs at the table - it's a lot less intrusive than a laptop (and it's actually smaller than the books!)

Edited by ContentsMayVary, 26 July 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#28 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

Episode 3 is now available - but my Keeper Diary is delayed due to paid work and / or incompetence :-)

[File retired.]

In this one, entitled Lafuente Unmasked there is a dramatic and dangerous fight at the camp site. Like the title suggests, the big-bad is revealed...

#29 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

And here is my Keeper Diary containing an interview with Mike Mason, line manager for Call of Cthulhu games and designer for Pulp Cthulhu. There is some interesting stuff here, including some hints about upcoming releases...

#30 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Now! Available for your ears! Episode 4 of The Two Headed Serpent. It's Frittata time as the players discover the Temple of the Dreamer and a whole mess o'snakes.

[File retired.]

More keeper diary goodness coming up...

#31 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

And here is the Keeper Diary for this one:

#32 AndreasDavour

AndreasDavour

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

I usually improvise and cut in sections of other scenarios when I run a game, being able to grab a book and thumb through to some interesting section is vital. For that, dead trees can't be beaten.

Using an electronic copy would be very useful for times when you look up specifics, as then you could use search functions. For me that has yet to happen, though, as I have no screen good enough to use for an extended time period.

--
The Omnipotent Eye
Blogging about new school, old school and everything in between

#33 RogerBW

RogerBW

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Locationnear London, UK

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Cliffhangers: it's nice when they happen organically, but I don't try to force them. I think RPG narratives have their own shape, just as film or book narratives do, and they work best when they're not made to conform to the expectations of other media.

Role-playing: Tekeli-li including podcast "Improvised Radio Theatre - With Dice" and the new home of Whartson Hall Gamers
3d printing for boardgames, RPGs, etc.

#34 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Woot - back from my holiday in the Dales. God's own country and all that. And it's snake time!!

The latest episode is entitled "Mammaries on a snake" and can be found in your podcast feed of choice, or at the usual place here:

[File retired.]

But possibly even more exciting is my interview with the author of this chapter, Paul Fricker. Enjoy...

#35 Lost Sojourner

Lost Sojourner

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationThe Dreamlands

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

Marty, I have been directed to this thread to ask about the above map: What year is it?

Edit: To clarify, I see the map is of 1926 NYC, I am asking whether it is a prop or a reprint, or if you discovered a period map.

Edited by Lost Sojourner, 31 August 2017 - 08:53 PM.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-Douglas Adams

#36 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

It is an A3 print of a map I downloaded from the David Rumsey Map Collection. I will post about this more later but here is link to the site

The map in question was slightly altered to change the name of the building that houses the Caduceus Foundation.

#37 Lost Sojourner

Lost Sojourner

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationThe Dreamlands

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Marty.  You actually answered my question about the Caduceus Foundation.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-Douglas Adams

#38 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

Hi all - sorry for a lack of Keeper Diaries. Real life has kept me away from such frivolity. More will arrive in due course...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Podcast, Pulp, CoC 7e