37 replies to this topic

#1 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

Hello to all the Yoggie's out there. The time has come for...

THS Keeper Diaries.jpg

We have talked at some length on Breakfast Club and News from Pnakotus about this Pulp Cthulhu campaign that I've been running and the time has come for us to begin releasing episodes. Episode 0 (Character Creation) and Episode 1 (Shot in the Boreal) will go out soon. To whet your appetite I give you this:

*** My new book: The Science of Food ***

#2 willmize

willmize

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Any adventure that contains the term "combat accountant", I am all in.

#3 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill, NC

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Looking forward to it. I just ran my first session of THS this Saturday. Remind me to tell you sometime...about the time the hard boiled detective fumbled a roll against raining, burning, flaming monkey butt.

#4 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

And so it begins...

The first session of our Two Headed Serpent campaign is now ready to be heard! You can get hold of the files and the RSS feed over in the Silver Lodge portion of the forums here.

[File retired.]

And for completists there is also the character creation session (episode 00). Take a listen, watch my Keeper Diaries and let us know what you think.

[File retired.]

Here is my Keeper Diary for Episode 00 - Character Creation

And here is the Keeper Diary for Episode 01 - Shot in the Boreal

#5 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

Those themed notebooks are amazing! I may have to steal the idea next time I run a lengthy campaign.

#6 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thank you Scott. It has added a whole new level of stuff we need on the table. Aside from pens, dice and the usual paraphernalia - I now need to stock the table with glue sticks, sticky tape and scissors (including a left handed pair for the sinister players). A bit more work, but they all remember what they were doing in the last session at least...

#7 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Very good!

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Listening now. Is there a player/character list anywhere? I think I must be missing it despite clicking all of the links I can find.
"I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty." - The Doctor

#9 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

Whoever's going ape with the pencils at the beginning should sit on the side of the table opposite the mike next time! I actually couldn't listen because it triggered my misophonia so intensely. :?

Edited by KnygathinZhaum, 04 July 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#10 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Just for you Jon - player characters are as follows (with character sheets):

Paul - Reginald Fawcett - Accountant

Attached File  Reginald.pdf   2.23MB   77 downloads

Robin - Charles "Chuck" Bennett - Reporter

Attached File  Chuck.pdf   2.26MB   63 downloads

George - Juan "el Espectacular" Herrero - Athlete (bull fighter)

Attached File  Juan.pdf   2.26MB   55 downloads

Poppy - Marco Toscano - Photographer

Attached File  Marco.pdf   2.23MB   60 downloads

Juliet - Dr Doris Mayfair - Doctor of Medicine

Attached File  Doris.pdf   2.23MB   59 downloads

Note the character sheets are the fancy auto-complete ones from Chaosium and need Adobe Reader (on a Mac Preview can't cope with them). Also note these have been updated with the first set of experience checks.

Whoever's going ape with the pencils at the beginning should sit on the side of the table opposite the mike next time! I actually couldn't listen because it triggered my misophonia so intensely. :?

Yeah - sorry about that. That was either Poppy or George colouring something in. It was distracting to everyone - and just as I was getting to my big gunshot moment too. I gave them a stern look that seemed to stop them. I shall maybe sit them further away from the mic in future, and/or warn them to be aware of the microphone

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

You're a thoroughly wonderful person, thank you :) That makes things much clearer.

Edit: you're right about those character sheets. I'll have to wait until I'm back on the PC to view them, as all my Android PDF readers state that they are not actually PDF file.
"I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty." - The Doctor

#12 lagrippe

lagrippe

Neophyte

• 9 posts
  • LocationOeiras, Portugal

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:59 AM

Those themed notebooks are amazing! I may have to steal the idea next time I run a lengthy campaign.

In a somewhat similar vein, for our BtMoM campaign I gave each player two copies of a Starkweather-Moore field notebook (that I made using an adaptation of Mike Fanara's fantastic handouts).

They worked just as intended and copious notes were indeed taken by all!

#13 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

So, it would seem that if you give them fancy notebooks they will write stuff down. Which means they may remember what they did in the last session! I must do this with my One Ring game as well...

(And by they I mean the players.)

#14 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

They'd be perfect for bluebooking too, if it's appropriate to the campaign.

#15 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

You what now!? Blue booking?

#16 KnygathinZhaum

KnygathinZhaum

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

I gave them a stern look that seemed to stop them.

Ah, good to know. I'll skip ahead a bit and see. Since I'm about to enter into the climax of Chapter 1 this Saturday I am very curious to hear another group's exploits.  About to wrap up writing for  Chapter 3 (which really is essentially Chapter 2, proper) and am LOVING how well laid out and easy to write for this campaign is.

Spoiler

#17 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

You what now!? Blue booking?

Sorry, thought it was a common term. Aaron Allston coined it for a technique he developed during his legendary Strike Force campaign. I found a few handy descriptions online, including this one.

#18 lagrippe

lagrippe

Neophyte

• 9 posts
  • LocationOeiras, Portugal

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

So, it would seem that if you give them fancy notebooks they will write stuff down. Which means they may remember what they did in the last session! I must do this with my One Ring game as well...

(And by they I mean the players.)

Absolutely! Also interesting was the fact that some players ended up taking notes and drawing sketches in character, creating a neat notebook / in-game artifact hybrid. Who said prop making was just for Keepers?

Sorry, thought it was a common term. Aaron Allston coined it for a technique he developed during his legendary Strike Force campaign. I found a few handy descriptions online, including this one.

Had to look this up as well :)

#19 MartyJopson

MartyJopson

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

The only time I ever managed to get a player to engage with the game outside of table time (so to speak) was when I was running D&D 3.5. I had one player who obsessively micromanaged his character and had all 20 PC levels mapped out. When he once rolled a 1 for his hit points (i.e. less than he was counting on) it was as if a member of his family had died. He was inconsolable.

But yes - giving then a fancy notebook may help engagement outside the game. 

#20 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,290 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Why only today I was working with spreadsheets! :-D

(Though to be fair I do that most days.)

I am still amazed at how much work Marty puts into the handouts for our games.

pulp-cthulhu-two-headed-serpent-martys-game-handouts.jpg

Secret Shoggoth XII

Yoggie's Annual Festive Mystery Gift Exchange

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Podcast, Pulp, CoC 7e