• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 perspexorange

perspexorange

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Hi. Hope someone can help.

I have all of HPL's extant fiction multiple times in various different editions, but I was after a good eBook. You know, something that I can keep by my side for those moments when I want to be richly terrified.

Can anyone suggest a good book to buy.

I'm preferably after something that ticks the following two boxes:

A) includes the Joshi corrected texts.
B) contains pretty much all the available stories, including Lovecraft's revisions.

I've noticed one from Delphi Classics that seems to fulfill B) with very few stories missing (the exceptions appear to be the C M Eddy revisions, which I think are under copywrite).

Anybody have experience of that particular edition? Or can anyone suggest another good buy (preferably on iBooks or Kindle).

Also, if anyone knows of a good HPL poetry selection in the same format, that would be great. Can't seem to see that The Ancient Track collection is available digitally, which is a shame.

Any help, gratefully received.

Hmm. The sunglasses emojis should read B ).

[Fixed. Under "Post Options" (near top right in Full Editor) uncheck the box that says "Enable emoticons?" ~Mod.]

Can't seem to edit my post.

Apologies.

#2 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

You can purchase the Hippocampus Press Variorum editions as ebooks on Kindle.

Edited by AdamAlexander, 23 April 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#3 perspexorange

perspexorange

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

Have been tempted to get the Variorum editions in physical format and probably will at some point. I think though, that these editions might be a little too detailed for me to get in a digital format.

I would like the corrected texts, but probably just need the stories to read rather than the scholarly study I understand the Variorum editions are.

Also, there's a slight reluctance for me to buy these books digitally (£8 each; 3 volumes), especially if I'm planning on getting the physical editions soon (at £25 each). Not that I'm a cheapskate, honest!

Thanks for letting me know about this though; I didn't know they were available digitally.

#4 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

You're welcome. I have them in print and picked up volume one in ebook format. The price is a bit steep for an ebook, but well worth it for what you get. I'm not familiar with other ebooks that have all of the Joshi corrected text - I'm not saying that they don't exist, I'm just not familiar with them.

If you are planning on getting the hard copy you may want to wait for the paperback edition.

Edited by AdamAlexander, 23 April 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#5 perspexorange

perspexorange

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thanks Adam.

I might just have to get the Variorum digital copies, if I can't find other corrected versions as they do seem rather nice.

Was just kind of hoping the Delphi publication included the corrections, as it looks like a good deal and includes (most of) the revision stories also (which don't appear to be covered in the first three volumes of the Variorum).

I'll hang fire for a few days and see if anyone has any good experiences with specific ebooks. If not, I'll take a punt on the Delphi one for starters. It's only £1.50, so very cheap, but it would still be a bit of a waste for me if they weren't the corrected versions, which I'd really like. Especially, if someone suggests another ebook which does house both the corrections and the revision stories.

#6 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'm interested to see what experience others have, too.

#7 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:35 PM

From what I've seen of the print version of the Hippocampus Press books, they're not very hard to read, either - there are footnotes on just about every page, but they're non-intrusive, and the text itself is large, clear, and easy to read.  I don't read e-books much, so I cannot answer for those for certain, but if the print edition is anything like the ebook, than I can only imagine that the Ebook would be a bit pricey but hard to beat.

The cheapskate in me says just find the free stuff at Project Gutenberg, hplovecraft.com, dagonbytes.com, etc. - as far as the corrected texts go, you're getting what you pay for here (i.e., I doubt they're corrected), but since they're free, it's hard to complain about the price.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#8 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

The ebook version is also very nice, but there are a lot of other options out there that will cost you much less. This http://arkhamarchivi...ok-nook-kindle/ is the way to go for free.

Edited by AdamAlexander, 24 April 2017 - 12:26 AM.

#9 Ningauble

Ningauble

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

The cheapskate in me says just find the free stuff at Project Gutenberg, hplovecraft.com, dagonbytes.com, etc. - as far as the corrected texts go, you're getting what you pay for here (i.e., I doubt they're corrected), but since they're free, it's hard to complain about the price.

hplovecraft.com uses the corrected texts. Gutenberg and dagonbytes don't (and despite claiming otherwise, dagonbytes is far from complete. hplovecraft.com isn't either, actually, but the only things omitted are the four Eddy revisions, because of copyright reasons.).

#10 perspexorange

perspexorange

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the answers, folks.

I went ahead and bought the Delphi ebook, but haven't yet had chance to examine it to see if these are the corrected texts.

Does anyone one know of a good way of checking this, i.e. perhaps a website showing examples of the text, pre and post corrections?

I'm still deciding on whether to buy the Variorum editions digitally, but have noticed that they only seem to be on the Kindle store. I would rather get them on iBooks as I rarely, if ever, use the Kindle app. I have asked Hippocampus if they plan to sell on iBooks in future, but have yet to receive a response.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Buy