• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Maaack

Maaack

Neophyte

• 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

What's the best way to contribute free content to the community, get feedback, and maintain authorship? I'm new to this community, but have been playing CoC for a few years now, and enjoy writing for the Lovecraft universe. I was coming up short for advice on this topic in the forums so far.

To be more specific, I'd like to contribute a scenario under a free license, probably the Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International Creative Commons license. Secondly, I'd like to get feedback from the community on how to improve it, or even opportunities to run it a couple of more times with other members (newbies and veterans alike). I have one that is nearing completion and am aiming to write two more.

Where would I share the scenario? It's currently a Google Doc of 30+ pages. Should I put up a personal website and host it there, put it in a public drop box, or just share the google doc? And then who would I reach out to for feedback? Thanks!

#2 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

I have somewhat the same question.  I am writing something up now for my group, and after it is used, I am minded to post the scenario as a blog entry.  I am less concerned about maintaining authorial control than the original poster, but I wonder if it would work for him.

#3 MrHandy

MrHandy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

You might want to consider submitting scenarios to The Dark Times: http://www.yog-sotho...ks-submissions/

Zombie Apocalypse: A Blood Brothers style play-by-post forum-based RPG using CoC rules
Space Oddity: Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes/Call of Cthulhu in 1969 Philadelphia
The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu in 1930 London

#4 Maaack

Maaack

Neophyte

• 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:56 AM

I have somewhat the same question.  I am writing something up now for my group, and after it is used, I am minded to post the scenario as a blog entry.  I am less concerned about maintaining authorial control than the original poster, but I wonder if it would work for him.

I may do that with the final version. Thanks for the suggestion! 

You might want to consider submitting scenarios to The Dark Times: http://www.yog-sotho...ks-submissions/

Thanks! I reached out to them and asked about their submission guidelines.

#5 SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

Thankyou for mentioning this.

(Are you same Mr Handy who plays the good Dr North?  Small world).

#6 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Wombat, I am of course always happy to take a look at anything you've written :)

opportunities to run it a couple of more times with other members (newbies and veterans alike). I have one that is nearing completion and am aiming to write two more.

Where would I share the scenario? It's currently a Google Doc of 30+ pages. Should I put up a personal website and host it there, put it in a public drop box, or just share the google doc? And then who would I reach out to for feedback? Thanks!

If it's something that fits my groups I might be able to run a playtest for you and feed back, or at least take a look at it in general.  Feel free to PM me.

Several kindly Yoggies have given me feedback on my 100+ page scenario and it really tightened things up.  I started a forum thread asking for feedback and found interested people that way.  I now have another one in the Patron forum for a second scenario with development notes as I go.

#7 MrHandy

MrHandy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:44 AM

Thankyou for mentioning this.

(Are you same Mr Handy who plays the good Dr North?  Small world).

You're welcome, and yes, it is I.

Zombie Apocalypse: A Blood Brothers style play-by-post forum-based RPG using CoC rules
Space Oddity: Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes/Call of Cthulhu in 1969 Philadelphia
The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu in 1930 London

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modern, New to Cthulhu