#1 Mortagon

Mortagon

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationHorten, Norway

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

Has anyone else seen this? It's released on blue ray and dvd on the 7th of April and described as "pure cosmic horror" and a throwback to 80's creature films.

No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions.
Henry Ward Beecher

#2 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

The trailer has me interested.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#3 fieldworking

fieldworking

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

I have to admit, I'm pretty stoked to see this movie. I've been hearing about it for a while, and I hope I haven't built myself up too much.

#4 Mortagon

Mortagon

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationHorten, Norway

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

The movie is out in the itunes store, and I finally got to watch it. I truly enjoyed it for the most part, with my only nitpicks being some questionable acting in a couple of scenes and some underdeveloped plotlines. The practical effects were top-notch and apart from a couple of scenes there didn't seem to be any CGI. The movie certainly deserves the tagline of "pure cosmic horror", as everything that is happening seems to be connected to some malignant alien force. I highly recommend this film to anyone that's interested in cosmic horror and 80's style monster movies like "the thing". I must give a warning however, as the film features many scenes with flashing lights.

No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions.
Henry Ward Beecher

#5 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

It's available for rental on the major UK streaming sites too now.

Mostly enjoyed it, but was quite frustrated many times by the use of low-level ambient light in LOTS of scenes. Not sure if this was just a bad design choice, lack of technical checks or a conscious decision to help with the creature effects. There's a fine line to tread between displaying the monsters too much but I do think this tended to err on the wrong side ( especially since what I did see of the creature effects seemed pretty well done ).

I'm not sure if I missed something, or if I'm being thick, but I also can not for the life of me quite figure out how the father and his ( throat-injured ) son tie into all this ?!

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#6 fieldworking

fieldworking

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:12 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed The Void. As far as new horror films, this one rates quite highly for me. I felt that it dealt with Lovecraftian cosmic horror very well--better than most other such horror films that attempt the same. It certainly has flaws, but nothing that bothered me. I'll be watching for these filmmakers in the future.

I'm not sure if I missed something, or if I'm being thick, but I also can not for the life of me quite figure out how the father and his ( throat-injured ) son tie into all this ?!

I think it was just that the throat-injured son and the father lost their whole family to an attack by the cult, so they were trying to avenge this loss/stop the cult by killing everyone involved, victim or otherwise. At least, that was my take.

#7 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

I watched this one last night, and enjoyed it quite a bit - it comes across as an homage to some of the better John Carpenter films ("The Thing", "Halloween", "The Fog", "Prince of Darkness", "In the Mouth of Madness", etc.), with some of the same sorts of original content with clear inspiration from Lovecraft, and I think that folks who enjoy those films will like this one.

I was actually doing some office work while watching it and, with all the distractions, I might be the one missing something, but in regard to how the characters fit in the film, I was under the impression....

Spoiler

Anyway, I rather enjoyed it, and had few complaints - it was a bit dark with flickering lights, but I think that sort of thing kind of comes with the territory of these films, like the dialogue being hard to hear sometimes (probably decades of being a gun collector and heavy metal fan have ruined my hearing, I have to watch all horror movies these days with closed captioning turned on, or I miss key bits of whispered or muffled or screamed dialogue distorted by avant-garde soundtracks and weird sound effects.....)

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 15 April 2017 - 04:25 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#8 fieldworking

fieldworking

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Spoiler

Here's where I think you may have been mistaken as to what was going on (if I remember it correctly):

Spoiler

I think I'm going to watch it again sometime soon.

#9 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

I bet you're right, fieldworking, on reflection, because that would make sense of the one small part that didn't make sense to me until now...

Spoiler

It's a small difference, but important in tying up that loose end.

I'll definitely watch it again sometime soon, when things have settled down enough that I won't have to do so much multi-tasking.

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 18 April 2017 - 07:45 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#10 Doctor_TOC

Doctor_TOC

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

Finally got around to watching this last week. It took me a while to realise that it's a period piece - no mobiles or computers in evidence, and some truly awful non-LED torches!

Spoiler

I loved it though; it really is proper cosmic horror, and I've been thinking about it all week. Definitely need to watch it again soon.

Edited by Doctor_TOC, 12 May 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#11 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

Good catch, Doctor!  I did not at all realize it was a period film!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film