#1 Chitin

Chitin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, MI

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

Golden Goblin Press' latest Kickstarter, ending on 3/31/17.

https://www.kickstar...edition-adventu

"Cold Warning is a Jazz Era, Call of Cthulhu 7th edition scenario set in Arkham, Massachusetts and Hudson, Maine. What begins with the dubious suicide of Joseph Sutton and the bizarre behavior of his widow Marilyn, leads investigators to Winter Haven, a remote hunting lodge in rural Maine. Here they experience mysterious phenomena, encounter suspicious lodge guests and staff, learn of ancient legends, and confront strange and frightening creatures before finally witnessing the awesome power of a Great Old One. Golden Goblin Press is proud to present this chilling adventure from Golden Age master Scott David Aniolowski." -Their Kickstarter Page

#2 Chitin

Chitin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, MI

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:46 PM

Funded and working towards the first of two announced Stretch Goals, both of which are $15 POD books (as add-ones, or free PDFs at the right backer level or higher.

Details here: https://www.kickstar...u/posts/1841562

#3 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

Golden Goblin Press' latest Kickstarter, ending on 3/31/17.

https://www.kickstar...edition-adventu

This looks like a worthy Kickstarter campaign to bring a "lost classic" from one of the game's great writers *finally* into print. If you're curious about the history of this project I'd urge you to check out the recent audio interview that the Miskatonic Uni Podcast folks did with Scott where he describes the background to the KS in more detail.

BTW, two important points about this KS that aren't explicitly highlighted above:
  • Unlike most KS campaigns, this one only runs for seven days -- so if you want to back it, don't think about it toooo long; and
  • Unlike the most recent GGP campaign for "Invictus", which ran into some sticky problems due to international shipping charges, this particular book will be purely produced Print on Demand (and distributed by Lightning Source's chain of printers in several locations around the world). This cuts down shipping fees a bit ... although, compared to Lightning Source's normal fees, the stated KS shipping fees for EU and Aus seem a little high to me.

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#4 Chitin

Chitin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, MI

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, I scrolled through their shipping. Looks to be $5 for the USA and $10 for pretty much everywhere else (sorry Dean, I didn't scroll all the way to the A's, so I may be wrong on Australia).

Even USA shipping on their last Kickstarter (Cthulhu Invictus) seemed high to me, as did the book price itself, which made it the first GGP Kickstarter I didn't back (sorry, GGP).

But this one, it's two stretch goals, and shipping all seem pretty darn swell to me.

#5 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

Yeah, I scrolled through their shipping. Looks to be $5 for the USA and $10 for pretty much everywhere else (sorry Dean, I didn't scroll all the way to the A's, so I may be wrong on Australia).

Even USA shipping on their last Kickstarter (Cthulhu Invictus) seemed high to me, as did the book price itself, which made it the first GGP Kickstarter I didn't back (sorry, GGP).

Aus shipping for this KS is currently running at $15 (and as far as I can see it's $5 to the US, and $10 to the EU).

Compare this with POD shipping for the 96-page "Convicts & Cthulhu" sourcebook from CR -- which is also sent via Lightning Source: shipping to US is ~$4.14; UK is ~$4.80; AUS is ~$5.70 [based on the last time I ordered individual books for people living in those regions].

Of course, none of that should dissuade anyone from backing this book -- it's still a great project. And yes, it's stretch goals do look intriguing (although the thought of having to pay the same rate again for shipping POD versions of the unlocked rewards sort of makes me shiver a bit, even though the digital versions are free).

Dean (from Adelaide)

Edited by dce, 26 March 2017 - 01:32 AM.

#6 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,399 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

I could easily be wrong (as I haven't done it myself), but if the entire run is POD then it would seem more efficient and cheaper to issue a "voucher" for DriveThruRPG for a copy of the print edition and then the backer to pay DriveThruRPG themselves for print shipping - if that can be done? I know Stygian Fox use a voucher system.

That would also mean Kickstarter doesn't take a bite of the postage costs. Again I'm not sure if the two things (printing and shipping) can be separated but if they can that would seem better all round.

#7 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

I could easily be wrong (as I haven't done it myself), but if the entire run is POD then it would seem more efficient and cheaper to issue a "voucher" for DriveThruRPG for a copy of the print edition and then the backer to pay DriveThruRPG themselves for print shipping - if that can be done? I know Stygian Fox use a voucher system.

That would also mean Kickstarter doesn't take a bite of the postage costs. Again I'm not sure if the two things (printing and shipping) can be separated but if they can that would seem better all round.

I believe that in the broader world beyond the Lovecraftian realm this sort of thing is not uncommon for RPG kickstarters -- I'm not sure exactly how it's implemented, though. This page (written 2013) seems to summarise some of the pertinent discussion.

While I agree that there are huge benefits to doing things that way, one challenge is making sure that backers know that they will still need to pay extra above-and-beyond their pledge to cover the shipping element. No matter how many times you write it down it seems that some people seem to miss reading that part and then get mad when they need to pay more overall than they pledged.

Overall, though, I'd say that Stephanie is on the right track.

[Oh, and feel free to split this off into a separate thread -- didn't mean to hijack the GGP discussion]

Dean (from Adelaide).

Edited by dce, 26 March 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#8 Chitin

Chitin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, MI

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

I knew when I started this thread that shipping costs would be a big part of it so I, at least, don't think it's been hijacked, Dean.

I know I've seen past kickstarters say the shipping will be extra and even give estimates, and they've ended up with unhappy backers over that, so getting things exact as well as pleasing everyone just isn't doable, as much as the project creators would probably like to.

I know quite a few people felt that both shipping and GGP's responses to some backers warranted not supporting the last project, so I think it's great that it looks like GGP listened and worked on things for this one.

I mean, even at $10 for the U.K. for shipping...what was it on Cthulhu Invictus...$40? Whereas their very next project, not even a month later, they're going POD with shipping much much cheaper? Speaks volumes to me.

Oh, and the first stretch goal is pretty close, I'm thinking a day or two tops, for a new scenario.

#9 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Interesting to note, in light of complaints about shipping costs from the US to EU/UK addresses that Magpie games charge just $5 shipping for one of their printed books. It's obviously a small part of their business but enough that taking a hit on shipping counterbalances the extra revenue from buying direct. I do notice that you can acquire their material in HC from Leisure Games as well if you wish to support your Friendly Game Store..

#10 Chitin

Chitin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, MI

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

Stretch Goal #1 has been hit: https://www.kickstar...u/posts/1842065

Currently, if you back at the $10 "Storm" pledge to get a PDF of Cold Warning, you'll also get a PDF of Riding the Northbound.

If you're a fan of hardcopies, you can add a hardcopy of Riding the Northbound on for just $15 plus shipping.

They're moving towards Stretch Goal 2, Riot at Red Plank, which will also be free to the all backers as a PDF, or $15 more (plus shipping) for POD too.

#11 Chitin

Chitin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, MI

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

Ends tomorrow (Friday) at midnight...little over 30 hours to go. Stretch Goal 2 will be unlocked and maybe (still 6k to go) a fourth scenario (taking place in Kingsport). If anyone's on the fence, time to decide.

#12 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

Frozen Fears—A review of Cold Warning: A chilling 7th Edition scenario by Scott David Aniolowski set in the New England of the Jazz Age and published by Golden Goblin Press.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#13 crazykane

crazykane

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

Will it be available from GGP for those who missed the Kickstarter?

#14 gabrielconnor

gabrielconnor

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

Just finished this last night with my players.

Spoiler

Edited by gabrielconnor, 01 November 2017 - 11:51 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Jazz Age, Fundraiser