#1 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

Greetings!

Our new roleplaying publication The Dark Times Fanzine is looking for submissions. We are a free pdf magazine dealing with all aspects of the horror, conspiracy and weird roleplaying genres. Our pilot issue will be released in a couple of weeks and will contain material for several game systems. Apart from gaming material we also accept anything that can act as inspiration for games, or has been inspired by them. This includes short fiction, artwork, movie & TV reviews, and even poetry should the muse strike you! If you were a reader of the recently cancelled Protodimension (or even DEMONGROUND "back in the day"), The Dark Times is intended to fill that gap.

If you have any material that you think fits the bill, or have any questions, you can send them along to us at:

darktimesfanzineATgmailDOTcom

Submission guidelines are available from the above address on request. We have not yet put together a publishing schedule so there is no immediate rush, but we are always open for submissions so sooner is always better if you wish to send us something.

We look forward to seeing what you have.

Thanks for your time!

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

"Superstition is a name the ignorant give to their ignorance"

#2 Chad Out of Space

Chad Out of Space

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Cool! PDM spiritual successor? Are there notable differences in mission or scope for Dark Times? I see no mention of "modern" as a focus like there was with PDM - is that intended? In fact I see that there is a tag on this post for Jazz Age as well as Delta Green and Modern. Hm....

In any case, glad to see this is already gathering steam. Looking forward to seeing this! 

#3 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Cool! PDM spiritual successor? Are there notable differences in mission or scope for Dark Times? I see no mention of "modern" as a focus like there was with PDM - is that intended? In fact I see that there is a tag on this post for Jazz Age as well as Delta Green and Modern. Hm....

In any case, glad to see this is already gathering steam. Looking forward to seeing this!

Well, following a notion first put forward by my former collaborator Norm we broadly defined the "modern era" as anything from the start of the Industrial Revolution through the present day and into the future. Gives a wider scope!

Talking of Delta Green I must point out that we have not yet sought permission to cover that game. That tag was included more in order to let people know what areas we are going to cover other than "straight" Lovecraftian horror :)

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#4 Chad Out of Space

Chad Out of Space

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

Sounds good. Cold War Cthulhu of interest? Does that require permission of some kind too?

#5 fluffy

fluffy

Breakfast Clubber

• Innsmouth House Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:00 PM

I wish you well in your undertaking.

Hugs.

Always carry a sturdy safety pin

#6 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Sounds good. Cold War Cthulhu of interest? Does that require permission of some kind too?

We are checking which games require direct permissions and which ones allow Fair Use, which is usually "go ahead as long as you don't charge money and make sure to acknowledge our IP". Chaosium, Delta Green and Atlas Games have such policies but I have contacted them to make them aware of our intentions just to be sure.

Cold War Cthulhu is definitely high up on our Master List!

I wish you well in your undertaking.

Hugs.

Thank you very much!

As of right now we can cover Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green as well as Atlas Games products, Little Fears and Little Fears: Nightmare Edition, and Lester W Smith's Popcorn Press products.

More to follow!

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#7 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

As of right now we can cover Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green as well as Atlas Games products, Little Fears and Little Fears: Nightmare Edition, and Lester W Smith's Popcorn Press products.

Now added to the list: Cakebread & Walton and Eden Studios. Still waiting to hear from Cubicle 7 and Pelgrane Press among others.

List of systems that we have permission to cover as of 7pm BST, 29/03/17 8)

Atlas Games (Feng Shui 1&2, Over The Edge, Unknown Armies all editions)

Cakebread & Walton (Dark Streets, Clockwork & Cthulhu)

Chaosium (Call of Cthulhu all editions)

Delta Green (all editions)

Eden Studios (All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Army of Darkness, Conspiracy X, Witchcraft)

Little Fears & Little Fears Nightmare Edition

Pelgrane Press (Esoterrorists, Fear Itself, Night's Black Agents, Trail of Cthulhu)

Popcorn Press (D6xD6 RPG, D13 RPG, Wolfman's Curse card game)

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#8 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

Update: we can also cover Nightmares of the Dead Dreamers by Atramentis Games. Thanks James!

Still waiting to hear about some others. Onwards!

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#9 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

Even more updates to the list of permitted games - let's have some submissions then!

--

Atlas Games - Feng Shui 1&2, Over The Edge, Unknown Armies all editions

Atramentis Games - Nightmares of the Dead Dreamers

Cakebread & Walton - Dark Streets, Clockwork & Cthulhu

Chaosium - Call of Cthulhu all editions

Delta Green all editions

Eden Studios - All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Army of Darkness, Conspiracy X, Witchcraft

Just Crunch - The Cthulhu Hack

Little Fears & Little Fears Nightmare Edition

Pelgrane Press - Esoterrorists, Fear Itself, Night's Black Agents, Trail of Cthulhu

Popcorn Press - D6xD6 RPG, D13 RPG, Wolfman's Curse card game

Sine Nomine Publishing - Silent Legions

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#10 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

This looks great!  Along with Call of Cthulhu, I'm a big fan of Sine Nomine's 'Silent Legions' rpg.  Will follow this with interest.

#11 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hi all, just wanted to remind interested parties that we are always open for fan-created submissions for the magazine.

Keep 'em coming!  8)

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#12 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

We have been quiet for a little while, so this is just a note to let you know that we are still working on the premiere issue and we remain open for submissions - darktimesfanzineATgmailDOTcom

Thanks!

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#13 Aruta

Aruta

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

So I just found an edition of protodimension on the waybackmachine.

To bad I just found out about it, looks great.

What kind of word counts are you guys looking for?

Edited by Aruta, 07 May 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#14 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for your interest, and apologies for not replying sooner. The back issue archive of Protodimension Magazine is now available once again, and should give you an idea of what we are looking for.

If you drop us an email we will send you a copy of the submission guidelines: darktimesfanzineATgmailDOTcom.

Cheers :)

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#15 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Okay, here's an update. Getting a new free publication off the ground turns out to be a lot of work, especially when I have to do most of it myself. I promise I AM still plugging away at Dark Times Fanzine! However, as always, we need more horror-conspiracy-weirdness gaming submissions so please consider sending something in. At the moment there's still more Dark Conspiracy stuff on the pile than anything else, so material for the other games in our remit is VERY welcome :)

darktimesfanzineATgmalDOTcom

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#16 Chad Out of Space

Chad Out of Space

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:07 PM

Okay, here's an update. Getting a new free publication off the ground turns out to be a lot of work, especially when I have to do most of it myself. I promise I AM still plugging away at Dark Times Fanzine! However, as always, we need more horror-conspiracy-weirdness gaming submissions so please consider sending something in. At the moment there's still more Dark Conspiracy stuff on the pile than anything else, so material for the other games in our remit is VERY welcome. :-)

darktimesfanzineATgmalDOTcom

Working on it!

#17 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Regarding my currently learning to use InDesign from scratch, it's not so much of a curve as it is one of those REALLY steep mountainside roads in the Alps and I'm driving a bus full of Mini Coopers and gold bullion!

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#18 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

I am happy to announce that the first issue of Dark Times is finally available. Spanning the horror-conspiracy-weirdness gaming genres, this premiere issue contains material forDelta Green, Dark Conspiracy, Trail of Cthulhu, Silent Legions and even a dash of Call of Cthulhu. Get your free copy from here:

http://www.darkconsp...fanzine/issues/

If you are interested in submitting material or would like further information you can email us here: darktimesfanzine@gmail.com

Cheers all!

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

#19 MorganBlackhand

MorganBlackhand

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for your interest, and apologies for not replying sooner. The back issue archive of Protodimension Magazine is now available once again, and should give you an idea of what we are looking for.

If you drop us an email we will send you a copy of the submission guidelines: darktimesfanzineATgmailDOTcom.

Cheers :)

I was looking for the issues 27 & 28 of PDM, so thanks a lot for the links! :8E:

Looking forward to read The Dark Times :-)

#20 Morthrai

Morthrai

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationBromsgrove, UK

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

I hope you like it! It's not as polished as previous efforts, but I used to be the assistant and now I'm doing it all myself so I'm still learning and experimenting. Future issues will look totally different, as I have no particular style in mind   8)

Looking forward to read The Dark Times :-)

Lee Williams.

The Dark Times Fanzine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release, Non-Mythos News, CoC 1-6e, CoC 7e, Delta Green, Jazz Age, Modern