#1 JanothanSmall

JanothanSmall

Breakfast Clubber

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFreiburg

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hi,

you know, I would like to sign up for a patronage but PayPal wants a credit card. Why is that? I don't have a credit card and I am not willing to get one. So is there a way for non-credit-card-holders to become a patron?

cheers,

Thomas

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

Alas we don't control what PayPal requires. I'm not sure a credit card has always been a requirement (but if it is now, again we don't have a say).

We've explored several alternative solutions over the years and they've either not worked as intended or shut down - which is why PayPal tends to be so popular.

So I'm afraid at the moment we have no alternative available.

#3 JanothanSmall

JanothanSmall

Breakfast Clubber

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFreiburg

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

Well it's just odd, because I've had a PayPal account for ages and it has never before required for me to have a credit card. It's why I use PayPal.

It says something along the lines of "direct debit scheme not possible for this payment, credit card neccessary" so I thought it might have something to do with you.

#4 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

I suspect it's because patronage is a recurring payment and a debit card draws against your bank account with no provision for credit should the account be empty causing the transaction to fail.

#5 JanothanSmall

JanothanSmall

Breakfast Clubber

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFreiburg

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

Thanks PoC and nclarke!

I know this is probably a waste of your time, since you have a payment system that works fine. Also, you have made it clear that you don't have control over this. So, if I am starting to bother you, please fell free to ignore me. I don't expect you to answer anymore at this point. 

But I want to understand.

This is the way I understand it:

Let's say I'm attempting a one-off online purchase via PayPal and my account is not suffciently covered. PayPal cannot get hold of the money, thus the whole transaction fails. I can't make the purchase, no goods are being delivered, no harm has been done.

So,

if a recurring payment for something like a subscription would be due in advance, wouldn't it basically be the same situation as above? If the account is empty, the payment fails. The subscription would not renew. No subscription items would go out without being paid for.

Therefore, to my understanding recurring payments could be done via PayPal/direct debit without risk for the supplier.

Or am I missing something here?

#6 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

So,
if a recurring payment for something like a subscription would be due in advance, wouldn't it basically be the same situation as above? If the account is empty, the payment fails. The subscription would not renew. No subscription items would go out without being paid for.

Indeed! I think that's a very reasonable viewpoint and I don't know why PayPal would (now?) make such an insistence, though nclarke may have the sum of it.

Believe me we have looked at alternatives, but PayPal is what (generally) works and integrates with the site software - and from personal experience PayPal has been fine since I personally started using it over 15 years ago. I've only had one quibble - the people at PayPal found in my favour and resolved the issue quite speedily.

The only other thing I can say is that as a Patron, you remain in full control of your patronage through PayPal and we never see any card/account data.

#7 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

I suspect, albeit without proof, that the tightening up of money laundering loopholes in the US banking system may have something to do with changes in Paypal's rules as well.

Nigel

#8 AndreasDavour

AndreasDavour

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

Strange. I have not seen any notices of my latest subscription payments failing, and I don't have credit on the card I've registered with Paypal.

--
The Omnipotent Eye
Blogging about new school, old school and everything in between

#9 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Might be a grandfather thing where if you've had a PP account for some time and no suspicious activity they let it go or it might be country specific where certain countries fail foul of obscure or not so obscure US banking laws.

#10 Munchezuma

Munchezuma

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationLemont, Pennsylvania

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Coincidentally, I just had my payments for Patronage fail due to my card passing its expiration date. To be fair, my Paypal balance was zero, so it was trying to charge the card and unable to do so. But in that case, I do not know why it didn't just use direct debit.

I also failed my Update Paypal roll miserably at least twice in the process, and started to fear that Paul might send a Hound of Tindalos to enforce collections. 

#11 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

I also failed my Update Paypal roll miserably at least twice in the process, and started to fear that Paul might send a Hound of Tindalos to enforce collections.

I should stress that "collections" *are* purely voluntary. ;-)

Seriously though, thank you.

#12 Munchezuma

Munchezuma

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationLemont, Pennsylvania

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:47 PM

My pleasure! I mean that too, it is actually a pleasure to help support this community. (sorry, my posting has gotten even more sporadic. A new work firewall doesn't like YSDS or much else for that matter).

#13 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

... A new work firewall doesn't like YSDS or much else for that matter).

From reports that seems to happen quite a bit these days!