Photo
- - - - -

Horror movies adapted to Call of Cthulhu?

Film

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 JamesHuds

JamesHuds

Master

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:12 AM

Hey everyone,

Are there any call of cthulhu scenarios adapted from horror movies, I mean, apart from that most scenarios are horror movies in essence. But for instance has anyone ever made a scenario from things like Friday 13th, Nightmare on elm street, The Babadook?

The Babadook would be quite fun to try and run, an entity that drives someone to the brink of insanity before possessing them making them angry and paranoid and killing their loved ones.

#2 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

Many scenarios have been influenced, in ways large and small, by films.

For explicit attempts to recreate horror genres see:
http://www.drivethru.../m/product/1681
Or
http://www.drivethru.../m/product/1677
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#3 gomyar

gomyar

Master

• Patron+
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

I've been toying with the idea of a Jurrasic Park version where they accidentally re-geneer a bunch of snake people. But that hasn't gotten out of the random statement stage yet.

#4 Nightbreed24

Nightbreed24

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Yes, Manos: the Hands of Fate.

http://www.yog-sotho...angest-sources/

I'm always on the lookout for more.

#5 Nightbreed24

Nightbreed24

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

Here's a list of films I've seen that feature fishmen:

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

Revenge of the Creature

The Creature Walks Among Us

Humanoids from the Deep

Creature of Destruction

Spawn of Slithis

Zaat

Curse of the Swamp Creature

Demon of Paradise

War-Gods of the Deep

The She-Creature

The Loreley's Grasp

The Monster of Piedras Blancas

The Swamp of the Lost Monsters

The Monster Squad

The Horror of Party Beach

Creature from the Haunted Sea

Bog

Island of the Fishmen

Rana: The Legend of Shadow Lake

#6 alter

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBielsko-Biała, Poland

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

Blood Brothers. This was suplement with scenarios based on horror flicks. Both parts. Shadows over Filmland for ToC is also very good source for this type of modules.

My new blog about gaming, books and Lovecraftiana: bigthingswithsmallwings.blogspot.com

#7 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

While copyright issues preclude publishing scenarios explicitly based on film properties - even licensed games are few and far between (e.g. Ghostbusters, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - that shouldn't stop creative Keepers from homebrewing their own.  Psycho, for example, is low-hanging fruit, but fruitful nonetheless.  Replacing Robert Bloch's emphasis on realism with the Mythos isn't too hard, as it turns out.  Where Norman Bates in Bloch's novel is definitely interested in the occult and theosophy and owns copies of The Witch-Cult in Western Europe and the metapsychology study The Extension of Consciousness, in a Lovecraftian CoC scenario, he would have learned of the existence of the Great Old Ones, presumably through Bloch’s forbidden tomes, Cultes des Goules and De Vermis Mysteriis. Then it's an easy matter of choosing which of HPL's stories to use as a template.  Maybe Norman, instead of merely practicing taxidermy, is experimenting with full-blown necromancy, à la The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.  Or perhaps, in a riff on "The Thing on the Doorstep", Norman doesn't have a split personality but instead truly shares his consciousness with his deceased mother, who in life was a secret member of the Witch-Cult.

edit: Seconding Shadows Over Filmland.  Its "Backlot Gothic" subgenre for emulating the tone of Universal monsters-Uberwald horror makes for a nice alternative to "pulp" style play or the campy b-movie tone of Blood Brothers.  If you like the 1930s movie versions of Dracula, the Mummy, the Wolf-man, etc., Robin Laws's and Kenneth Hite's Mythos versions are excellent (and don't infringe on existing intellectual property).

Edited by Travern, 27 February 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#8 DavetheLost

DavetheLost

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island, the old Grenadier Models scenario, is an adaptation of The Wicker Man set in coastal Maine and featuring Deep Ones.

#9 MasterFwiffo

MasterFwiffo

Master

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

Yes, Manos: the Hands of Fate.

http://www.yog-sotho...angest-sources/

I'm always on the lookout for more.

tHe mAsTeR wOulD noT aPprOve

"And now the haunting Torgo theme."

Ps: For those of you who don't know, MST3K is back, with new episodes on Netflix! Right now! Really! Go and watch!

#10 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:08 AM

I'll throw in this 1980's 'straight to VHS' horror movie.

High Desert Kill

Like every year, Jim, Ray, Brad and Paul leave the town for a week to go hunting in the woods. But this year everything is different: There's not a single animal to be found, the whole forest has fallen quiet. Two female campers they meet have mysteriously disappeared the next day, leaving their whole equipment behind. And then they start to behave weird themselves... An alien power is using them for cruel psychological experiments.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097504/

If that doesn't suggest the Mi-Go, I don't know what does.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#11 DeaconBlackfire

DeaconBlackfire

Master

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:58 AM

One I'm currently working on adapting (sorta) is The Fly -- guy studies hypergeometry, "Dreams in the Witch-House" stuff, and basically ends up learning Create Gate Box scientifically rather than mystically.  Of course, with dire results though what exactly those are I have yet to determine.

I've always felt that an old Lee/Cushing British horror, The Creeping Flesh, was ready-made for Lovecraft use as well, what with the ancient evil, cure for madness, etc., all seems very Machenesque to me.

Only through deception of illusion can we experience reality.

#12 DeUniversumMysteriis

DeUniversumMysteriis

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

It's always fun to take a Horror film plot and twist it into a Call of Cthulhu scenario. My homebrew scenarios are always inspired by films (And I go as far as crafting a fake film poster for each one of them to tease the sessions to my players).

One thing I'm intending to do regarding the campaign I'm currently running is

Spoiler

#13 Dispaminite

Dispaminite

Master

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Last year I ran a horror film inspired scenario set in the 80s.

The background for the scenario is in the late 1600s, there is a group of cultists through Europe who worship some vague aspect of Nyarlothep. Through periodic human sacrifice. They're granted some super-human abilities (in 6th Edition terms, they had one stat at 19). Throughout the years they got arrogant, and sloppy, which lead them to be chased from Europe to the US, and spread through the US. in the 1800s, they had, again grown arrogant, again chased away, this time to a small town in South Carolina. where they continue their practices of human sacrifice. 

By the time the PCs show up, they have started to get arrogant again, which leads them to getting sloppy in their behavior (giving the PCs a chance).

The scenario is set in 1985. The PCs have just graduated high school and are on their way from Ohio to Florida for one last hurrah. Borrowing one of their dad's old RVs. they head out on the road. The trip is cut short when, taking a backroad short cut, they run over a black-painted strip lined with nails that someone through across the road.

And thats where the scenario starts. 

The townsfolk through set up the trap to lure in the PCs to be sacrifices. Once all four tires on the RV are blown, the PCs are in the middle of no where with very little chance of help. 

After a few minutes of thinking about what to do, and consulting the map on where to go (the last town they saw was several hours (by car) behind them a old pick up truck shows up (heading in the same direction they came from). These overly friendly hillbillies quiet helpfully agree to drive some (or all) of them to the auto-shop a couple miles down the road (in the direction they were headed). 

At this point I let the PCs sandbox it within the town full of weird and overly friendly townspeople (based on personalities from the Andy Griffith Show).

The NPCs plans are to treat the PCs are royalty (since they are going to be sacrificed to their god) as part of the ritual and and the NPCs to act completely contrary to their supposed small rural town christian facade. Everyone is overly helpful, never getting upset a the PCs actions). 

The sheriff will even invite the PCs to have dinner with his family.

A couple events I through in include:

-The PCs finding a still alive, but completely skinned, cat in the street, yeowling in agony.

-The woman behind who runs the Bed and breakfast putting on a show of making sure the girls PCs virtues intact.

-The B&Bs rooms were obsessively cleaned to the point there that even under their beds were immaculate.

-The locale diner had some of the best food they have ever had in their lives. 

-A gang of locale school kids (none older than 12) harassing the PCs including groping them (both the males and female) before running away taunting them.

-The older kids are down at the pond, lots of drugs and sex going around. Clearly loud heavy metal music. None of the adults seem to care.

-Library having a lot of weird books interspersed with the standard library books. Things that no small rural community would normally have. (use your imagination). 

-At the dinner with the Sheriff's house, the 18-year old 19 APP daughter of the sheriff and his wife tries to get one (or more) of the PCs upstairs. The parents clearly know whats going on and don't seem to care. Anyone willing to be pulled in should be shocked by how far the girl is willing to take things. Literally make the PCs uncomfortable as possible. 

-Anything the PCs do are met with amusement from the NPCs. Even to the point where they terrorized a small child (which they did in my runthrough) in front of the parents. 

-The deputies (all 19 CON) are keeping a close eye on the PCs. The PCs should have a chance of spotting their being stalked by the police, but nothing overt. cop cars driving by often.

-The local reverend is 'specially creepy. a exploration of his home finds souvenirs (old drivers license, pictures of previous victims, jewelry, even preserved pieces of the previous victims).

The important thing to keep in mind is that everyone in town is overly friendly and helpful, regardless of how far the PCs push it. PCs treated as royalty. A very shallow facade of small town christian fundamentalism (though not hell and brimstone). Kids running around out of control. Scratch the surface and it's all bad.

After one day (and night in town), the townfolks were going to capture the PCs (as unharmed as possible), take them to the fairgrounds (which the town has been preparing while the PCs are in town for the "Town Fair"), the characters are dragged there, sacrificed, and their bodies eaten by everyone in town, to consume their power and continue their pact to their evil god. 

#14 vonkeitz

vonkeitz

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

I originally adapted the 1982 classic The Thing into an adventure called Station 31 in 2000 and ran it at GenCon in 2000 and 2003 (and for my local group, TPK all three times as it arguably should be). I adapted the 1995 movie The Lord of Illusions for my local group, but set it in the 1920s. Station 31 was a CLOSE adaption; the Lord of Illusions was not nearly as close. Clearly, I was not trying running them for profit in any way so I was not worried about copyrights.

CofC addict since 1986.

#15 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

I originally adapted the 1982 classic The Thing into an adventure called Station 31 in 2000 and ran it at GenCon in 2000 and 2003 (and for my local group, TPK all three times as it arguably should be). I adapted the 1995 movie The Lord of Illusions for my local group, but set it in the 1920s. Station 31 was a CLOSE adaption; the Lord of Illusions was not nearly as close. Clearly, I was not trying running them for profit in any way so I was not worried about copyrights.

Given the The Thing's cultural ubiquity among horror fans, how many players demonstrated understanding of the premise? How many metagamed to their benefit or detriment?

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#16 Dispaminite

Dispaminite

Master

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:52 PM

I'm curious about the Lord of Illusion adaptation. Can you provide more information?

#17 vonkeitz

vonkeitz

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Given the The Thing's cultural ubiquity among horror fans, how many players demonstrated understanding of the premise? How many metagamed to their benefit or detriment?

Of course they all knew how it played out in the movie. So I changed it so testing the blood so crudely did NOT work. In all three times I ran it, nobody bothered to try it, correctly figuring out it would not "work." The way to discover a Thing was a Thing was for Copper (the MD) or Blair (the biologist) to devise a sophisticated cellular comparison, but they never got that far. In one game, the physician became convinced (like Blair did in the movie) that he had to protect the world from The Thing, so with exquisite (infamous to this day) role-playing, he murdered 3 crew members with "vitamin/amphetamine" injections to help the crew stay sharp for the fight before they gunned him down in shock and horror. Another way to spot The Thing was their long-term memories got fuzzy fast, they knew it, so those already assimilated had to do some clever role-playing to disguise the memory gaps. The first team actually killed two Things and only one was left, but the survivors (3) brought him back with them in the snow cat, 2 convinced through excellent roleplaying that he was one of them, and one PC complaining bitterly that he was a Thing, as the drove off from the burning station into the Antarctic storm...

I'm curious about the Lord of Illusion adaptation. Can you provide more information?

That's a little less fresh in my memory. Same basic plot as movie, a famous "magician" with a knack for really basic tricks like levitation (but also a legitimate magician), disappears during a show (elaborate stunt, no magic) to avoid some hardcore cultist acolytes of the person who taught him his true magic, whom he and a few friends turned on and did their best to kill (they could not) and dispose of the body. The cultists were out to find their master's body and the magician was one step ahead. The investigators were hired by the missing magician's brother to find him, and one was an insurance investigator, and they soon run afoul of the cultists as they start abducting and torturing the missing magician's friends to find out the location of their Master (and the magician).

The adventure was more of a mini-campaign with 3-4 full sessions and moves across the U.S. and a final confrontation with the Master who (of course) had been freed. Actually, very much like the movie come to think of it, which was based on a Clive Barker book. It screamed easy CofC adaption to me way back then,

CofC addict since 1986.

#18 vonkeitz

vonkeitz

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

One more movie adaption. I adapted John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness (1987) into an adventure I ran for a one-shot adventure called "A Gathering of Minds" I ran it a GenCon 2007. It went really well. I ran it for a local group in 2011 or so, tweaking it based on lessons learned from how it went at GenCon. Looser adaption,
CofC addict since 1986.

#19 YuggothBugOff

YuggothBugOff

Neophyte

• 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

I know it's not a horror movie but I ran a short game inspired David Lynch's Eraserhead. It involved one of the characters having a child and then realizing the child wasn't what it seemed, this drove them slowly insane over the course of the game. In the end, killing them. (This was a single player game by the way.)

#20 DeUniversumMysteriis

DeUniversumMysteriis

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

One more movie adaption. I adapted John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness (1987) into an adventure I ran for a one-shot adventure called "A Gathering of Minds" I ran it a GenCon 2007. It went really well. I ran it for a local group in 2011 or so, tweaking it based on lessons learned from how it went at GenCon. Looser adaption,

Funny, I'm actually planning to take some inspiration from Prince of Darkness for a future adventure.... It will not be exactly the same thing of course but my players

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film