6 replies to this topic

#1 bilio77

bilio77

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently running an external lies conversion with my group, and am looking for some music for the savannah section, any tips for artists or play lists you've used your self?

#2 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

I'm not familiar with the adventure but I did live in Savannah for several years. What era does the adventure take place?

#3 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

It's set in 1937, and involves a sanitarium in town & an antebellum plantation not far away.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#4 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

To get a real Southern feel musically I'm going to use Jonny Mercer, the famous Savannah born contemporary composer of the 1930s -1950s as a guide. Mercer was heavy influenced by black cultured music and would seek out music from genre known as "Race Records". Race Records being albums featuring exclusive African-American artists that feature a variety of musical styles. Some African-American artists that recorded for OKeH Records, one of the many music companies that produced "Race Records, included the likes of  Sara Martin, Eva Taylor, Shelton Brooks, Esther Bigeou, and Handy‚Äôs Orchestra. You can also look at Delta Blues artists, as there music though geography more west is still very in tone with the deep south. Look for artists like Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Tommy Johnson, Charley Patton, Muddy Water. A good Delta Blues album featuring a variety of artists with old crackly recordings and open G tuning slide guitar music is "Blues Masters Vol. 8: Mississippi Delta Blues". I don't know of any particular gospel music, but I would look for baptist gospel songs of that era. Hope this helps. 

Also something to incorporate into the Savannah chapter. Natives to Savannah like to host and are big on drinking, the alcoholic kind. I don't know if this is a more modern thing or goes back to earlier eras. As I was schooled by the local when I lived there, when you first meet someone from Atlanta their first question is usually, "what do you do?" in reference to your occupation. In Savannah it's, "what do you drink?" 

Savannah has a very large Irish heritage and their Saint Patrick's Day celebration is their biggest event of the year. Depending on when Saint Patrick's Day falls on the calendar that year, celebrations can last all week.

#5 bilio77

bilio77

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

That's awesome thank you

#6 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

Look at the gospel options in the Lomax archive:

http://research.cult.../home-audio.jsp

11,000+ recordings free for use.
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#7 dulcamara

dulcamara

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:24 AM

Ohh, I can't do it justice at the moment, but I'll have some suggestions for you sometime tomorrow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Audio