Photo
- - - - -

Getting your stuff direct from Chaosium.com - four reasons why!

CoC 7e Publisher Sell Press Release

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:27 AM

[This was also recently posted on the Chaosium news page]

To all members of the Chaosium tribe, here's the deal about purchasing products direct from our website, Chaosium.com:

—All products come with the PDF included in the price

—If the PDF is released first, you'll get the full price of the PDF off as a discount when the print version comes out

—We have stock in three warehouses around the world (USA, UK and Australia), saving you time and money on shipping

—Get it first! New releases will always appear on our website before they become available in game stores or elsewhere. And some items are Chaosium.com exclusives!

...so save your SAN, embrace chaos - order direct from us! Sign up to our Ab Chaos newsletter via Facebook or on our front page and never miss out when new products are released.

16730331_725943994232265_499540607233882

#2 chrismata

chrismata

Neophyte

• 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

Awesome.

Didn't know any of this.

#3 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

BTW, if you prefer to buy your Chaosium products at a FLGS, that's great too: support stores that are part of the Bits and Mortar initiative!

#4 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:28 AM

Thanks MOB - Team Chaosium rocks! :)

#5 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

BTW, if you prefer to buy your Chaosium products at a FLGS, that's great too: support stores that are part of the Bits and Mortar initiative!

Yes, this is my usual MO.

#6 Necrothesp

Necrothesp

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

[This was also recently posted on the Chaosium news page]

To all members of the Chaosium tribe, here's the deal about purchasing products direct from our website, Chaosium.com:

—All products come with the PDF included in the price

—If the PDF is released first, you'll get the full price of the PDF off as a discount when the print version comes out

—We have stock in three warehouses around the world (USA, UK and Australia), saving you time and money on shipping

—Get it first! New releases will always appear on our website before they become available in game stores or elsewhere. And some items are Chaosium.com exclusives!

...so save your SAN, embrace chaos - order direct from us! Sign up to our Ab Chaos newsletter via Facebook or on our front page and never miss out when new products are released.

In the UK. Have lost my usual supplier (IGUK, which appears to have closed down). Looked at Chaosium. Thought "why is the shipping so bloody expensive if their warehouse is, as claimed, in the UK?". Went elsewhere to buy!

See my blog on all things legal in CoC: The Law of Cthulhu

#7 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,407 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

I just popped a copy of the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition Keeper Rulebook into the Chaosium.com online shopping basket (£45.21) and the UK delivery quote was £11.48 (with a stated weight of 6.5lbs = c. 3Kgs) - total: £56.69. An internet search shows that as of writing you can pick up the same print item in the UK for just over £30 delivered - but you don't get the PDF).

Adding in a few more items of similar weight (or just multiples) still gives a postage quote of... £11.48. So there must be a minimum for a certain weight. (7th Edition Keeper Decks for example are quoted as £6.12 for shipping.)

I tried something lighter - just the Arkham Sanitarium Forms Pack (0.18 lbs) and that on its own was £21.39 for shipping a £2.06 item - because it has to come direct from the US and international shipping is fairly insane these days.

I did note that the Call of Cthulhu Slipcase Set comes in at £106.94 [before shipping]. Certainly different days from just a 20 quid rulebook and a thin card GM screen. ;-)

#8 crazy_cat

crazy_cat

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCambridge, UK

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

In the UK. Have lost my usual supplier (IGUK, which appears to have closed down). 

That's a shame. Always good/quick service at IGUK and reasonable prices. :(

"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not wish to die"

#9 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

IGUK and reasonable prices. :(

- and I suspect that was their downfall (having worked for them in the past) - margins were *super* slim.

#10 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

I suspect that Chaosium's warehouse facility in the UK uses Royal Mail as a medium parcel (small is less than 3kg) costs £12.98 for 48 hour Express48 service and with bulk discounts could easily be £11.48. Courier prices, I believe, are similar to the RM.

#11 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:18 AM

In addition to USD, Chaosium.com now shows the prices in the following currencies - AUD, UKP, CND, EUR, JPY and NZD.

currency-for-website.png?t=1489039401

Note: All transactions and invoices are processed and displayed in USD, regardless of which currency the store is viewed in.

#12 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

Yes, it's clear that the Chaosium web shop works in US Dollars regardless of the currency it displays to you. The UK Sterling examples I cited in post #7 for example, even after less than 24 hours, are no longer accurate as the online shop references changing exchange rates against the Dollar. So what was £106.94 one day, may be a different price the next day, week or month (it may only be a tiny difference but we've seen some dramatic exchange rate swings and the bigger the total, the bigger the price change).

A handy (non-US) tip might be: if you're purchasing from the Chaosium online shop, keep an eye on your currency's exchange rate against the Dollar for when best to buy. In reality the "best time" is at a convention - no shipping charges. ;-)

#13 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

I dislike sounding negative, particularly about a company and products I very much admire, but shipping from Chaosium is an expensive option. The only real advantage, for those who care about such things, is getting the item before it hits the shops.

For example, I ordered the HeroQuest campaign book The Coming Storm when it was announced. The offer was to buy the PDF and then, when the book was eventually printed, have the opportunity to order the physical copy with the cost of the PDF knocked off. Sounded great. Unfortunately, shipping is so high that it almost makes more sense to write off the cost of the PDF and just get the book from a shop. Alternatively, buy it from somewhere like Leisure Games and they provide the PDF as well.

Leisure Games charge £3.50 to post a typical book in the UK. Numerous other shops charge similar amounts. Costs from Chaosium are two or three times that.

Sadly, it's made me far less likely to order products in advance. As for The Coming Storm, I'm hoping to pick up a copy at the UK Games Expo.

Edited by BigJackBrass, 09 March 2017 - 10:55 AM.

"I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty." - The Doctor

#14 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

Jon, as you're joining us for this month's Cthulhu Breakfast Club it may be an interesting topic to talk about.

#15 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:03 AM

I'll try to avoid it being a lengthy whinge 😁
"I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty." - The Doctor

#16 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

I dislike sounding negative, particularly about a company and products I very much admire, but shipping from Chaosium is an expensive option. 

We hate the high costs of shipping, we make no money from it, and we are always looking for the best options (which need to cover processing via the fulfillment company, a suitably robust shipping box, packing material, tracking etc so we don't end up with dings, damage or returns). As Rick Meints has pointed out on another threadwe have invested a lot of time and money setting up three fulfilment warehouses that decently cover about 85% of our main customers, something that was not easy for a company our size.

The only real advantage, for those who care about such things, is getting the item before it hits the shops.

Yes, as outlined in the original post, that is one of the advantages we do offer, and many people definitely appreciate that. If you want our most current items—for example The Grand Grimoire or Two-Headed Serpent—you can get these as a PDF direct from Chaosium long before you can get them anywhere else . 

Because we're printing in China, you get to use and enjoy the PDFs for some 3-4 months before the physical books arrive. And then get the full price of the PDF off if you order the physical book from us.  Which we'll ship to you as soon as it arrives in our fulfilment warehouse.

If you want to wait until the books get into distribution into game stores, that's fine too - but by simple logistics it's going to be at least 4-5 months after the PDF version first comes out before they appear on the shelves anywhere.

For example, I ordered the HeroQuest campaign book The Coming Storm when it was announced. The offer was to buy the PDF and then, when the book was eventually printed, have the opportunity to order the physical copy with the cost of the PDF knocked off. Sounded great. Unfortunately, shipping is so high that it almost makes more sense to write off the cost of the PDF and just get the book from a shop. Alternatively, buy it from somewhere like Leisure Games and they provide the PDF as well.

Leisure Games is part of the Bits and Mortar initiative (as is Chaosium), so if you buy one of our books from their store in person, you'll get the PDF for free as well. We're really happy to support this, as part of sustaining our industry by helping local games stores survive and thrive. 

[However, if you're suggesting you can buy the book online from Leisure Games and get the PDF too, that should not be the case as it undermines the whole point of what Bits and Mortar is all about: encouraging people to physically go to their local FLGS and support it by buying over the counter. But as far as I can see, if you order a book online from Leisure Games the PDF is not included though.]

Sadly, it's made me far less likely to order products in advance. As for The Coming Storm, I'm hoping to pick up a copy at the UK Games Expo.

Buying at conventions is a great way to get stuff directly, if you are attending, are happy to wait, and are prepared to risk us selling out of key things (as we did at UK Games Expo last year!). 

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Leisure Games is part of the Bits and Mortar initiative (as is Chaosium), so if you buy one of our books from their store in person, you'll get the PDF for free as well. We're really happy to support this, as part of sustaining our industry by helping local games stores survive and thrive. 

[However, if you're suggesting you can buy the book online from Leisure Games and get the PDF too, that should not be the case as it undermines the whole point of what Bits and Mortar is all about: encouraging people to physically go to their local FLGS and support it by buying over the counter. But as far as I can see, if you order a book online from Leisure Games the PDF is not included though.]

From my understanding (and experience), that is not the case. I've bought online from Leisure Games and received the PDF as part of the Bits & Mortar scheme. I'm still buying from a physical shop, it just has an online outlet I use because I don't happen to live in London anymore...

e.g.

This book comes with a free PDF version courtesy of the publisher in conjunction with the “Bits 'n' Mortar“ scheme. A link from which the PDF can be downloaded will be emailed to the address you enter at the checkout once we have confirmed payment, ...

Source: https://leisuregames...mplimentary-pdf

(If you can buy at conventions it's still the best way, though. ;-))

#18 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

To clarify: I'm certainly not suggesting that Chaosium are inflating their shipping costs, nor trying to greatly profit from them. From a customer point of view, though, it's impossible to ignore that most shops that do mail order charge rather less.

The choice is often between spending extra to directly support the publisher, or waiting and buying from a shop (which obviously helps them to thrive and provide a physical location for gamers in their area).

With prices overall inevitably rising in the UK these days it's hard for many gamers to stump up the extra.

#19 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

The elephant in the room that no-one is talking about is Big River Company and it's policy of heavily discounted books and free-ish shipping. For a FLGS to compete it has to offer a USP that offsets the lower price offered by BRC. Allowing people to browse and examine books is good but when the potential buyer turns around and buys from BRC after checking out the book in store it's galling. The B&M programme seems to be designed to offset that by offering a pdf as an extra incentive to get the book from your FLGS. Indeed some RPG publishers require proof of purchase at regular (or close to regular) price if the store isn't a B&M programme participant in order to claim the pdf.

A pdf is, in my experience, an essential part of preparation for running a game.  I use them to make my own cheat sheet that matches how I like to run games. I usually won't consider purchasing a supplement or rule books nowadays that doesn't include a pdf.

ALthough the cost per person per hour of entertainment is pretty low for role-playing games there is still an appreciable cost. I can see that it might behove some groups to ease the burden on their GM/Keeper by offering to buy or contribute towards rulebooks or supplements and scenario collections.

#20 tmk

tmk

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

I'm lucky enough to have a flgs in my city so I tend to try and get stuff from them as I've quite often had the opportunity to browse through the books. Unfortunately RPGs are a smaller and smaller part of the shop. They are part of bits and mortar but don't advertise it. I certainly appreciate being able to pick up the PDF included in the price.

Recently I gave them a month to get the Curse of Nineveh in as I try and get the campaigns to follow along at home. After a month they hadn't got it in and couldn't give me a timeline so I went to the cubicle 7 website and picked it up from there with the PDF included.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Publisher, Sell, Press Release