Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

And pdf of the sourcebook is available:

https://www.chaosium...ker-trails-pdf/

I hope this sourcebook does for Old West setting what Invictus did for Ancient Rome. 

In a field crowded by several other strong RPGs set in the West, I still think Call of Cthulhu affords me the best way to tell my Weird West stories.  Deadlands, and so many others are great, but I love the rules mechanics and gameplay of CoC.  It's the perfect marriage for the sort of game that I like to run.

Playing/Running: D&D 5e (Curse of Strahd, Reavers of the Harken Wold), Call of Cthulhu (Down Darker Trails), Aces & Eights, Fate (Art Restoration Syndicate)

#22 Boris

Boris

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

So, I know this has only been available for a few days, but is there any chance of more information than just the cover/ back blurb? Such as table of contents, art examples, opinions/ first impressions? Just all seems very quiet...

#23 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

So, I know this has only been available for a few days, but is there any chance of more information than just the cover/ back blurb? Such as table of contents, art examples, opinions/ first impressions? Just all seems very quiet...

Yeah, it has been a little quiet ... but I am happy to share a little bit of info about the Down Darker Trails PDF (which I bought yesterday).

Even though I have only really had time to skim through the book, I have definitely formed the opinion that this is a very solid title -- pretty much exactly what you would expect from CoC veteran writer Kevin Ross. As a setting it looks more like a historical west book with Mythos added into it, as opposed to some of the "weird west" settings that commonly pop up in RPG books. There is quite a lot of page count devoted to life in the old west, the general historical context, etc. But equally there is a good amount of material about weirdness that can be exploited for Call of Cthulhu scenarios -- half of this takes the form of ideas about how to translate some of the staples of the Lovecraftian tale (strange creatures, arcane tomes, etc) into things that more naturally fit into a Western setting. The other half is a short selection of "Lost Worlds" which can be grafted on to add a pulpy kind of angle to scenarios. The book is rounded out with two fleshed out Western towns -- great starting settings for scenarios of the Keeper's own devising -- and two detailed scenarios.

Physically the book is 256 pages and colour throughout. It advertises itself as a setting for both 7th Edition CoC and Pulp Cthulhu (and there are a few sections specifically aimed at Pulp rules). There is quite a lot of art, a mixture of period illustrations and new pieces. The quality of the art varies a bit but is generally effective an building a suitably evocative feel. One aspect that I think especially shines is the cartography -- there are some beautiful new maps created in a period-authentic style.

To answer your question about the general book contents, here's a chapter-by-chapter summary:

• Chapter 1: Old West Investigators (character creation, occupations, skills, rules, etc)
  • Chapter 2: Equipment and Weapons
  • Chapter 3: Optional Rules for the Old West (chase rules, rules for insanity)
  • Chapter 4: The Historical West (a somewhat thorough summary stretching from pre-history through to the Civil War and into the mid-19th Century; includes lots of cool historical NPCs, notes on Native Americans, and a whole bunch of goodness)
  • Chapter 5: The Supernatural West (monsters, tomes, folk magic, cults etc)
  • Chapter 6: Lost Worlds of the Old West (4 different "lost world" kind of settings, each described in ~3 Pages)
  • Chapter 7: Designing Old West Adventures
  • Chapter 8: Pawheton (a sample Old West gold-rush type town in the Dakota Territory)
  • Chapter 9: San Rafael (a sample Old West town near the Mexican border)
  • Chapter 10: Something From Down There (scenario)
  • Chapter 11: Scanlon's Daughter (scenario)
  • Chapter 12: Selected Bibliography
  • Index, Author Bios

Full disclosure: the book is rounded out with two character sheets designed by yours truly (although you wouldn't know, since the credits omit mentioning that -- oops).

All-in-all I think this based on what I've read so far that is a really good book, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in dipping their toe into using the Old West as a setting for their Cthulhu games. Kevin has a great ability to fuse disparate ideas into a coherent and living setting -- he did it to great effect with the 3rd Edition revamp of the Gaslight setting, and he's done it again with this (IMHO of course).

Hope that gives you a bit more to go on ... I only wish I'd had time to read more of it and been able to give it a proper review.

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#24 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

Full disclosure: the book is rounded out with two character sheets designed by yours truly (although you wouldn't know, since the credits omit mentioning that -- oops).

That's an unfortunate oversight, and our apologies! We are correcting the PDF to fix that, which will also be correct for the print edition.

#25 Boris

Boris

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

Dean, thanks! That's a really helpful summary.

(Just a little personal aside, as an equestrian does it cover " horses in the old west" in any way?)

#26 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

Dean, thanks! That's a really helpful summary.

(Just a little personal aside, as an equestrian does it cover " horses in the old west" in any way?)

There's a little bit of stuff about horses, though it's mostly about game mechanics of fighting from horseback or having a chase on horseback.

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#27 Tristan

Tristan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

Some mistakes in the character creation tables : 

Personal description, pp. 11-12.

• The range of options should be 2-20, it's on 2D10.

• The 19 and 20 lines are duplicated (which solves the "20 options for 19 slots" issue) 

Why are they significant, p. 13

• Options 9 and 10 are from the "Meaningful location" table.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, CoC 1-6e