• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BazKha

BazKha

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Hello fellow keepers, what supplement could you advice for running Old West campaign [1865-1895]?

Last year I run Sundown, but I want to avoid pulp element`s trying mostly keep pure.

At present moment my must find and read list consist of:

Night of the Kachina

Devil's Gulch

WOC #2, 3

Maybe someone already run such kind of staff and could share experience or advice?

#2 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

Night of the Kachina is a complete waste of money - it's probably one of the worst CoC monographs that was put out.

The 3 scenarios are short and not very exciting and it wastes lots of full page space, taken up by NPC and monster stats.

Avoid!

Devil's Gulch is quite a fun supplement which gives details and stats of the town, it's surroundings and population and has two adventures set in the area. It's "weird west" so there are some mad scientist, supernatural and magic things/people detailed, but you could tone these down for a more Purist town setting.

It also gives some details of BRP rule adaptations for the western setting.

I'd say it's worth the money.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#3 MrHandy

MrHandy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

I've played a couple of scenarios using the rules from WoC #2 (The Good, The Bad, and The Utterly Insane). They're a lot of fun, but they are pulpy. However, you can just leave out the pulpier elements and get good use out of them.

Zombie Apocalypse: A Blood Brothers style play-by-post forum-based RPG using CoC rules
Space Oddity: Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes/Call of Cthulhu in 1969 Philadelphia
The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu in 1930 London

#4 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

Judas' Crossing for Aces and Eights, while for a different system, is an unparalleled level of detail for a Western (purist) town. I recommend it.

#5 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

If Chaosium would get off their keesters and publish it, I've written/compiled a 3-book set of Old West CoC books, the 1st a sourcebook, the other 2 adventure collections. In addition to several scenarios, each of the 3 books features a couple of mini-sandbox settings in a variety of flavors (mining camp, Tex-Mex border town, riverboat, Indian country fort, etc).

While you're waiting, you might check out the two Aces High monographs for BRP, published by Chaosium and probably still available somewheres. The 1st is a sourcebook, the 2nd a lengthy campaign/setting book. It's weird western material using the BRP system, so pretty easy to convert to CoC. I'd recommend these above Devil's Gulch, as I found the latter a little less serious in tone (just my 2 cents).

Kevin Ross

#6 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Chaosium is currently in the process of art development for Book 1. 

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#7 Jiminy

Jiminy

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

Expanding on the post from KRoss, there are three Western-themed BRP supplements on RPG Drive Thru / RPG Now:

BRP: Aces High

BRP: Aces High, New Mexico

BRP: Blood And Badges

There is also one much smaller Aces & Eights scenario from Kenzer on this supernatural theme:

Aces & Eights: Ghost Town

Edited by Jiminy, 16 February 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#8 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

A little detail on Devil's Gulch can be found in the YSDC Wiki (link).

The Deadlands RPG covers much of the same territory, but I've never actually seen any of the RPG books, and it might just be me and/or a trick of my memory but at the time I was most interested in tracking the books down it seemed like it was kind of tough to figure out what the core books were and where to get them, and the basic entry point into the game was just a bit hard for an outsider to the game to navigate.  Your mileage may vary on that, but at the very least, some internet searches for information on the Deadlands setting might suggest some interesting ideas.

I haven't yet got around to creating an article for "Weird West" in the Wiki, but a list of pages that will link to that article when I do create it (including a handful of suggested movies that might be looted for plot ideas, etc.) can be found here:  (link)

It might be helpful to keep in mind that the American Civil War and Old West eras were basically the "American version" of the more English/European-flavored Victorian / Gaslight Eras, so I'm sure that Cthulhu Gaslight source book and many Gaslight scenarios could easily overlap with these settings (at the very least, the Cthulhu Gaslight character sheets, equipment lists, and many of the basic rules would surely be immediately usable!)

I've never had an opportunity to participate in a Weird West RPG campaign, but it always seemed like a fun and fascinating setting to me.  If you use the setting in a game, let us know how it goes!

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#9 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

I wrote a Wild West Cthulhu scenario a while back and have run it several times at the Origins con. It was well received and ran quite successfully. It was essentially Outlaws v. The Mythos.

I just used the CoC Gaslight template and it worked fine. One thing I didn't sufficiently account for was the heavily-armed and highly proficient nature of the outlaws. Had to fudge the monsters a bit to give good action in the middle going, but in the end, their guns didn't do them much good.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#10 Agent_Bluescale

Agent_Bluescale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

If Chaosium would get off their keesters and publish it, I've written/compiled a 3-book set of Old West CoC books, the 1st a sourcebook, the other 2 adventure collections. In addition to several scenarios, each of the 3 books features a couple of mini-sandbox settings in a variety of flavors (mining camp, Tex-Mex border town, riverboat, Indian country fort, etc).

While you're waiting, you might check out the two Aces High monographs for BRP, published by Chaosium and probably still available somewheres. The 1st is a sourcebook, the 2nd a lengthy campaign/setting book. It's weird western material using the BRP system, so pretty easy to convert to CoC. I'd recommend these above Devil's Gulch, as I found the latter a little less serious in tone (just my 2 cents).

Kevin Ross

I hear that adventure collection is pretty sweet, especially that title scenario!

Formally One_ofthe_Deep

#11 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

There is just SO MUCH Kevin Ross material I'm yearning to throw good money at. Colonial, Old West.... Our Ladies of Sorrow was a fantastic collection. I played the first two scenarios and then my group split up. I'm looking at going back to it with a different crew and starting all over again. Kevin Ross is an excellent CoC writer. Please, publishers, hurry ;-)

christian lehmann

#12 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

Yes, please publishers, hurry! I ain't getting any younger!

Thanks for the kind words, Christian. Always nice to get praise from a best-selling novelist (even if it's in a language I don't speak/read/understand/gibber).

And yeah, one of those adventure collections DOES have a pretty sweet title and title adventure... ;) (Actually BOTH are pretty great, I reckon.)

#13 Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

I run "Our Ladies of sorrow" and it was my best experience as a keeper.

Can't wait for new things from Kevin Ross.

#14 BazKha

BazKha

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

Kevin Ross

Great to hear, hope to read them.

Aces & Eights: Ghost Town

Thanks for Aces & Eights helped a lot with equipment and prices for that time period.

I run "Our Ladies of sorrow" and it was my best experience as a keeper.

Can't wait for new things from Kevin Ross.

I get them with one of bundles. And goind to run after finishing one of current games,

We started, without thinking and prepping all beforehand. Just get some nice maps of territory and few photos for NPC. All begins as a train heist to bind players a little together. It worked good they get some in game connection and understanding that there no Lone Wolf in Frontier.

Appeared quite hard to introduce default CoC scenario into old west theme + frontier, so not too dig with lot a stuff I just put few hooks for explorations and combined plots for them.

Mixed a little Credit Rating rules, just for there no salary if you have no job. Added some accounting but we passed it in 15 minutes of gameplay. They get some gossip about gold deposits in mountains and some people were missing, few variations what to do.  PC joined venture for wannabe gold miner and finished last session as Ghast attacked their miner camp.

#15 7Tigers

7Tigers

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

And pdf of the sourcebook is available:

https://www.chaosium...ker-trails-pdf/

CHA23151_-_Down_Darker_Trails_Front_Cove

Edited by 7Tigers, 03 August 2017 - 08:02 PM.

#16 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:40 AM

I would be all over Down Darker Trails if it was available in print.  I just can't get into PDFs.

#17 BazKha

BazKha

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:23 AM

Not its time for salary magic to show up. I ended my Wild West Games, but still interested in this book.

#18 MOB

MOB

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC Australia

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:57 AM

I would be all over Down Darker Trails if it was available in print.  I just can't get into PDFs.

The PDF is available now. The printed book will be out in about three months. 

People who buy the PDF now get a Chaosium.com discount coupon when the printed book comes out. It gives a discount of the full amount of the PDF off the purchase price of the printed book.

#19 7Tigers

7Tigers

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

And as a reminder:

FREE Call of Cthulhu old west adventure: Sundown

http://www.chaosium....by Chaosium.pdf

“It’s easy to feel alone as the shadows gather and the pale moon rises over the High Plains. The Cherokee say that on nights like this, the cold wind from the prairie has a mind of its own — a malignant chill, born of the darkness, which eats at your warmth, and steals all compassion.

It was a night like that when Barton Duvall rode into Tombstone. A night like that when they found what was left of little Alina Hundle — the few sad remains, barely recognizable, that Barton had left for her family to bury. And, it was a night like that when you realised that justice was more than a word bandied around by fearful shopkeepers — it was a necessity.

The year is 1880, and the posse is forming.

Sundown is a character-driven scenario of the old-west written to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Call of Cthulhu.”

Scenario by Dale Elvy. 26 pages. 8.5 x 11″ pdf.

#20 Cole

Cole

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

I wrote a Wild West Cthulhu scenario a while back and have run it several times at the Origins con. It was well received and ran quite successfully. It was essentially Outlaws v. The Mythos.

I just used the CoC Gaslight template and it worked fine. One thing I didn't sufficiently account for was the heavily-armed and highly proficient nature of the outlaws. Had to fudge the monsters a bit to give good action in the middle going, but in the end, their guns didn't do them much good.

Would you be willing to share that Con adventure, Gaffer?  I'm gearing up for another Cthulhu in Old West game and hungry for content.   

Playing/Running: D&D 5e (Curse of Strahd, Reavers of the Harken Wold), Call of Cthulhu (Down Darker Trails), Aces & Eights, Fate (Art Restoration Syndicate)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, CoC 1-6e