59 replies to this topic

#1 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

Not sure how many have seen this one yet, but Golden Goblin's re envisioning of the Cthulhu Invictus setting for 7th Edition is now kickstarting until the Ides of March (15th).

Cthulhu Invictus 7th Edition

#2 Necrothesp

Necrothesp

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Yup. And they're charging more for shipping to the UK than the cost of the book!

See my blog on all things legal in CoC: The Law of Cthulhu

#3 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

I know! But I can't miss out on this one!

#4 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

Does anyone know if it's going to be hardback or softcover?

#5 CsabTheHun

CsabTheHun

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

This one's going to be an Amazon buy for me.

As much as I would love to support Oscar and GGP through the Kickstarter, $40 for shipping alone is quite unthinkable for me to fork out.

#6 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

This one's going to be an Amazon buy for me.

As much as I would love to support Oscar and GGP through the Kickstarter, $40 for shipping alone is quite unthinkable for me to fork out.

But will it end up on Amazon?

Past Golden Goblin releases (I'm thinking especially about Tales of the Caribbean) seem to have only been available through their website and haven't turned up through normal distribution channels in the UK/Europe.

I've not even been able to find them on the Chaosium site, as they have slightly friendlier overseas shipping.....

#7 carnage_lee

carnage_lee

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

The postage fee was a shock, then I looked into it a little bit.

I backed both 'Tales of The Caribbean' and 'Heroes of Red Hook' at soft-cover book levels and in both cases postal charges were $20 to the UK. The actual cost of postage on each envelope was $22.50 (USPS First-Class Package International Service (I think)) and each of those packages weighed in at around 16oz. So in those cases GGP underestimated the costs - doubly so as Kickstarter and other charges come off of the value of the whole pledge(s) - so GGP probably actually received $18 (from me) to cover the cost of posting each book.

I'd imagine that the new 'Cthulhu Invictus' book is quite a bit heftier than either of the books previously mentioned, pushing the weight up into the next pricing band (not over 48oz) which is $34.50 (to the UK). IIRC Kickstarter and payment fees can account for 10%of the total pleged; so $40 for postage looks about right - for packages sent singly using USPS.

The cost of international postage is high and is bound to put people off buying*, which is a real shame.

Edit: * of course I meant backing.

Edited by carnage_lee, 08 February 2017 - 04:20 PM.

Seeds of Doom - plot generator

@TheDholesHouse - news and updates

#8 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

Oscar posted in the KS comments that it will be a soft cover. Also, on shipping he posted:

Shipping Issues - Last Kickstarter we budgeted $30 for international shipping. In many cases shipping was actually $32, and in some cases as much as $52 (usually to the UK). I do not know why the shipping rate went up, I only know that it did and I don't have any control over it. I am very sorry because we understand and agree that these rates are outrageous, but that's what they are.

#9 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

I'd be interested to know whether the conditions of the Golden Goblin license allows them to take advantage of the Chaosium EU warehouse...

After all, if I order a similar book from Chaosium I will pay between $10 and $15 for shipping......

If I was confident that Chaosium would be getting stock of the book I might think again about backing the Kickstarter.....

#10 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

The cost of international postage is high and is bound to put people off buying, which is a real shame.

This is it in one sentence. 

If you want to see the thing produced, back at the very least at the PDF level, so that it actually raises the funds needed to produce it.

And don't whine about wanting a printed copy because you don't like PDFs. Without enough funds neither the PDF nor the book will come about.

#11 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,034 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

I'd be interested to know whether the conditions of the Golden Goblin license allows them to take advantage of the Chaosium EU warehouse...

I have no information on the matter, but I was wondering a similar thing. However I believe Chaosium books are printed in China and from there sent directly to the USA, UK and Australian warehouses, whereas I expect GGP print in the USA so cannot take advantage of that system.

I wonder what the difference in price would be getting the PDF and then locally POD printing it yourself vs. ordering the book straight from Golden Goblin?

I know some publishers (like Stygian Fox) make use of the DriveThruRPG system for printing.

Yog-Sothoth Neblod Zin

#12 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

I have no information on the matter, but I was wondering a similar thing. However I believe Chaosium books are printed in China and from there sent directly to the USA, UK and Australian warehouses, whereas I expect GGP print in the USA so cannot take advantage of that system.

I wonder what the difference in price would be getting the PDF and then locally POD printing it yourself vs. ordering the book straight from Golden Goblin?

I know some publishers (like Stygian Fox) make use of the DriveThruRPG system for printing.

The Tales of the Caribbean was printed in the USA so I would expect this one to print there as well. TotC had a POD option I wonder why that is not offered here?

#13 carnage_lee

carnage_lee

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

I was very happy with my copy of 'The Arkham Gazette' that was printed via DriveThruRPG which I received a week or so ago. This was the first time in quite a while that I had used a POD service and I'd definitely use it again.

Seeds of Doom - plot generator

@TheDholesHouse - news and updates

#14 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

The POD option may have been a bit of a stretch in terms of layout as no doubt the 'normal' printer and the POD printer (Lightning Source for DTRPG) have differing requirements possibly meaning double the layout work. I'll get the pdf and if I want a POD copy use Lulu as they do a good job and print in the UK AFAIK. I did that for Convicts and Cthulhu before the POD option was offered and the book looks great with only some slight cover imperfections where I had to stitch the front and back covers together for the Lulu template.

As Carnage Lee asserts above the Arkham Gaxette POD is a very nice example of a POD product that looks good and works to avoid the shipping issue.

#15 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

At SF we use DriveThru/Lightning Source POD, period. Pros and cons.

Advantages:

1. We don't have to do any shipping or mailing; they do it. It's just data input.

2. MOST (but not all) places a typical book will ship for $6-$10 including US and EU. Even AUS isn't horrible.

See: http://support.drive...rinted-Products

3. There are still some exceptions (Brazil and its antiquated postal system that basically requires FedEx at stupid prices), even with DTRPG. (Yeah, Luciano, I went there). I comped Luciano in Brazil a hardcover so he could write a review and it set me back $100.

4. The $6-$10 shipping range gives people some pause but if you want it super fast, double up and go express.

Disadvantages:

1. LightningSource customer service not the easiest to sort in terms of proofs and corrections.

2. There is some fiddling that has to be done with layout.

3. Strictly books. No addons like GGP likes to include. So, for example, while we'd like to do posters of some of the splash pages in FSLN and sell them, we can't without opening up a whole other distribution channel

Wash:

1. Some people still kvetch about the postage either way, its just a smaller set.

#16 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

I don't mind $6-10 shipping but the USPS $30-40 really get's my goat as it's often at least or even more than the cost of the book. Using DTRPG POD I can get a US KS hard copy book in the UK without the extra cost of transatlantic shipping.

I've found that getting a book uploaded and print ready is often as easy as stripping DTRPG's watermarking out and cutting and pasting the cover to suit the cover template in Lulu. Not such cheap shipping but quality is good and their discounts happen frequently enough to make stuff a little cheaper.

#17 rmeints

rmeints

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Chaosium used to sell licensee publications on our website because we had license agreements wherein the licensee would pay their royalty with printed product instead of cash. 

Chaosium no longer has license deals structured like that. Over time it was proven that neither the licensee nor Chaosium found it easier or more beneficial than a simple monetary payment.

Thus far, none of our licensees has asked us to sell their products via our website through some sort of distribution deal. While we are not against that in principle, the licensee would have to ship their product to all three of our warehouses at their expense, which is not a cheap thing to do at low volumes of books. Not having the books in all three of our warehouses, such as only having the book in our US warehouse, isn't worth it for us.

#18 Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

I don't mind $6-10 shipping but the USPS $30-40 really get's my goat as it's often at least or even more than the cost of the book. Using DTRPG POD I can get a US KS hard copy book in the UK without the extra cost of transatlantic shipping.

I've found that getting a book uploaded and print ready is often as easy as stripping DTRPG's watermarking out and cutting and pasting the cover to suit the cover template in Lulu. Not such cheap shipping but quality is good and their discounts happen frequently enough to make stuff a little cheaper.

If I try to buy something from the Golden Goblin Press store...it reach 300$ shipping cost to Italy.

This is insane. And probably an error (I hope).

By the way in the GGP kickstarters the shipping cost to Europe (Europe, not Cile or India) is out of control and really too high.

It seems that they don't consider the market outside the USA.

I'm sure they have their reasons.

I have my reasons too and I'm sorry, but I won't buy anything from them.

#19 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

From the responses here it looks like GGP should look into doing a second print run in the U.K. or Europe, assuming shipping is more reasonable from country to country. Set it up as another kickstarter for a special europe printing. It either will have enough backers to fund or it won't. Either way GGP will get a better understanding of the european marketplace for this niche product line.

#20 AlexK

AlexK

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

The Tales of the Caribbean was printed in the USA so I would expect this one to print there as well. TotC had a POD option I wonder why that is not offered here?

I backed TotC at the PoD level, and while the PDF and hard copies were sorted last year the PoD rewards have yet to be made available. Reading between the lines of Oscar's KS updates I suspect doing the PoD thing was a lot more hassle than they expected. Additionally, although PoD was an option, the cost of that level on the KS was higher than the regular printed book.

US postage to overseas addresses shot up massively a few years ago, Golden Goblin can't be expected to eat that cost themselves, if anyone's deserves our ire it's the USPS.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Fundraiser