• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Finn

Finn

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

I haven't seen any mention in these parts about Pelgrane's new Gumshoe One2One system, and their Cthulhu Confidential release.   I've bought the pre-order version and taken the pdf out for a run a few times and jotted down a few thoughts here if anyone's curious.

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 17,649 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

We also talked about it in the Cthulhu Breakfast Club, and here's a recording of Marty playing it with the author:

It should see official print quite soon.

cthulhu-confidential-limited-dragonmeet-2016-edition.jpg

#3 Finn

Finn

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

I watched and enjoyed the Robin/Marty session when it was first announced.   The audio clip is new to me though... listening now.   thanks!

#4 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

It's Sp-eye-vee. I ran a playtest for Ruth Kitchin-Tillman's adventure on Skype and it went really well. I looking forward to using this system for more one to one, and for group games such as The King in Yellow. But I think it's eminently suitable for improvised play too, although Robin wasn't so sure in a recent KARTAS.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#5 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

But I think it's eminently suitable for improvised play too, although Robin wasn't so sure in a recent KARTAS.

Some generic contests and condition cards would go a long way towards making it easier to play on the fly. But the way you can delay incapacitating resolutions until they have real narrative weight is brilliant.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#6 Finn

Finn

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

Some generic contests and condition cards would go a long way towards making it easier to play on the fly. But the way you can delay incapacitating resolutions until they have real narrative weight is brilliant.

That's the way I've gone for my own peace of mind.   When converting my existing adventures I've added in custom challenges, Edges and Problems for the key scenes and encounters, but I've also made a few generics to cover the usual scrapes, strain, stresses and setbacks that are likely to come up in the rough and tumble of a typical session.

Here's a specific result in case my player tangles with the Dimensional Shambler lurking in the old cult house and breaks free just in time...

2ibgrc9.jpg

But I also have generic ones like "Bruised", "Momentary Panic" and so on that can be dropped in whenever required by the situation and the player's choice of actions.

#7 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

When converting my existing adventures I've added in custom challenges, Edges and Problems for the key scenes and encounters, but I've also made a few generics to cover the usual scrapes, strain, stresses and setbacks that are likely to come up in the rough and tumble of a typical session.

Here's a specific result in case my player tangles with the Dimensional Shambler lurking in the old cult house and breaks free just in time...

2ibgrc9.jpg

But I also have generic ones like "Bruised", "Momentary Panic" and so on that can be dropped in whenever required by the situation and the player's choice of actions.

Outstanding ... and they would help aspiring Keepers figure out when and how to frame challenges, too.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#8 Finn

Finn

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

I was worried at first that writing an adventure would be much more time consuming given the challenge system, but it's really not.   Converting an existing upcoming scenario for my Trail campaign to Cthulhu Confidential was actually really easy and also helpful - because I knew that the Challenge system had to be addressed it really helped me tighten up some key scenes and think about alternate approaches and outcomes (and potential setbacks) that I might otherwise have had to improvise on the fly.   I think my rewrite is a lot tighter as an adventure than my original "Trail" draft.  Yes there's a little bit of a work overhead in that I like to design cards for specific Edges & Problems and import them into Roll20 but it would be just as easy to just have a simple text entry for them and that would save a lot of time - as it is though I enjoy the act of creation.

#9 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Pelgrane in their February 2017 See Page XX have stated that the final print release will feature an extra Mythos chapter.  The full publication will be known as the Cthulhu Confidential: Case Notes Edition.

ETA for those who pre-order, mid-April.

#10 xthawx

xthawx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

I am looking forward to the print release with much anticipation. In the meantime, their Hawkin's Papers set of props for The Dracula Dossier is about to ship and they look fantastic.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds

#11 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 17,649 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

I see the print release is out!