7 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Here are two videos I found on YouTube that could be used as the basis for Delta Green scenarios. The first one is a five minute short film in which someone discovers that the performance enhancing drugs he is taking have had 'interesting' side effects. The film raises a lot of questions that it does not answer...

The second is a 2013 trailer for a film that appears to have disappeared into 'development hell'. From the trailer the plot-line appears to involve the complete or partial upload of someones personality into a robot and it appears that the government is after the robot.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#2 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

This trailer is for a film released on Netflix (Spectral), I was inspired to look it up by the Silver Lodge discussion of the use of 'old skool' monsters like ghosts in Call of Cthulhu. The films summary on Wikipedia (Link) reveals an interesting take on the idea of Ghosts.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#3 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:17 AM

Nice catches, Graham!

I've seen some of the following suggested before as Delta Green material:

• The Fourth Kind (2009 film)  (an alien abduction film with hints of demonic ancient alien astronauts)
  • The Devil's Pass (2013 film)  (a "found footage" film about a group of investigators of the Dyatlov Pass incident)
  • The Objective (2008 film)  (a U.S. special ops team dispatched to a remote location in Afghanistan where strange phenomenon are reported)
  • Phantoms (1998 film)  (based on the Dean Koontz story about a government investigation into a mysterious "Ancient Enemy" responsible for mass disappearances through history)
  • Species (1995 franchise)  (a misguided genetic experiment following instructions from an extraterrestrial source unleashes a hyper-sexualized H.R. Giger-designed monster on Earth)
  • The Wicksboro Incident (2001 film)  (a lone survivor of a mass disappearance comes forward to tell his story)
  • The Banshee Chapter (2013 film)  (a paranoid investigation into a disappearance, strange mind-altering drugs, mysterious radio broadcasts, and government conspiracies)
  • The Omega Factor (1979 series)  (a covert branch of British Intelligence is assigned to investigate the strange and supernatural)
  • Double Vision (2002 film)  (an FBI Agent pairs with a troubled Taiwan cop to hunt for a serial killer who's embedding a mysterious fungus in the brains of victims)
  • Mimic (1997 film)  (a Guillermo Del Toro film about a population of giant, genetically-engineered insects that flourishes out of control in decaying subway tunnels, where they mimic human victims)
  • The Relic (1997 film)  (archaeologists accidentally unleash a bizarre gene-stealing mutant god-monster-thing from ancient religious relics)
  • Videodrome (1983 film)  (a body-horror-filled film about a strange conspiracy involving reality-altering television signals hidden in extreme sex-and-violence programming)
  • Alien Raiders (2008 film)  (police, SWAT teams, and the government respond when a terrorist group raids a rural grocery store they claim is the center of an alien conspiracy)
  • Millennium (1996 series)  (a consultant capable of "seeing what the killer sees" who suffered a nervous breakdown and now works for police departments investigating doomsday cult-related crimes finds himself entangled in a secret world of ancient conspiracies when the cases he works on hint at the involvement of government super-science, supernatural beings, and sinister cults)
  • War of the Worlds (1988 series)  (a television series that treats the infamous Orson Wells radio broadcast and the classic 1950s science-fiction film as part of a government cover-up for a real Martian invasion; ancient astronauts, alien cultists, strange tentacle-monsters, and other pulp elements make appearances in the show)
  • First Wave (1998 series)  (a tv series about a thief accused of a murder he didn't commit stumbles on a tome of lost prophecies of Nostradamus which reveal the involvement of a secret cult of alien invaders conspiring to replace human beings)
  • FreakyLinks (2000 series)  (tv series about a group of friends investigating urban legends and government cover-ups for their website)
  • Special Unit 2 (2001 series)  (fantasy/comedy tv series about a secret law enforcement agent which investigates crimes involving "links": missing links between humans and mythical creatures)
  • They Live (1988 film)  (a working-class drifter looking for work finds himself entangled in a vast alien conspiracy when he finds a stash of sunglasses that reveal disguised aliens and their subliminal messages)
  • Spectral (2016 film)  (a special-operations team is dispatched to fight supernatural beings which have been killing soldiers in a war-torn country)
  • The Guyver (1991 franchise)  (the grim super-heroic adventures of a young man who dons a parasitic biomechanical power-armor suit to fight a secret conspiracy of mutants and monsters led by an evil corporate industrialist)
  • Dark Skies (1996 series)  (tv series in which the dreams of an idealistic young couple joining the government in the 1960s are dashed when they begin uncovering evidence that the turbulent events of the era are linked to a government cover-up of an alien conspiracy)
  • Extant (2014 series)  (tv series about a female astronaut returning from a year of isolation on a space station who somehow became pregnant with a half-alien fungus baby after dreaming of her dead husband; she discovers evidence of a government conspiracy, and things only get worse after the child is born....)
  • The Box (2009 film)  (a financially troubled couple, given a button that will kill a stranger and give them a great fortune, discover that this sinister gift comes from mysterious travelers through space and time....)
  • The Mothman Prophecies (2002 film)  (a reporter is drawn to a small West Virginia town to investigate a series of strange events, including psychic visions and the appearance of a bizarre entity)
  • Village of the Damned (1960 film)  (the government investigates when all the inhabitants of a small, isolated village mysteriously fall unconscious for a day; when they awaken, all the village's women are pregnant, and later give birth at the same time to a group of unsettling, inhuman psychic children)
  • Quatermass (1953 franchise)  (a highly influential series of serials and films about Professor Quatermass and his British Experimental Rocket Group, who investigate alien threats and invasions)
  • Doctor Who (1963 franchise)  (the U.N.I.T. episodes from the 1960s and 1970s involve a United Nations military taskforce which helps the time-traveling Doctor in his efforts to protect Earth from alien threats and invasions)

I've not really been looking specifically for Delta Green-friendly movies and television shows (I never thought of it), so there's bound to be a lot of them I've missed.  I'm interested in any suggestions I haven't heard of!

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#4 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,413 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

I've not really been looking specifically for Delta Green-friendly movies and television shows (I never thought of it), so there's bound to be a lot of them I've missed.  I'm interested in any suggestions I haven't heard of!

In that regard there's always the Rough Magik pilot (Episode 0: An Age of Wonders) featuring Paul Darrow of Blake's 7 fame, which Adam Scott Glancy considered the nearest thing to a Delta Green film.

A Bubblehead Productions production for the BBC (never transmitted).

Plugging nicely into the RPG world of Delta Green, Rough Magik is about The Night Scholars, a clandestine organisation setup to monitor the ancient cult of Cthulhu. After decades of compiling an enormous database of arcane information, they have come to a single, incontrovertible conclusion: the Sleeping God is waking. Diana Armitage, with the help of her Home Office liaison, the mysterious Mr. Moon, launch an aggressive campaign against the Dreamers. This operation, designated the Rough Magik initiative, was successful but they trod on the toes of some powerful people, amidst accusations of financial impropriety and possible treason, and the Night Scholars were disbanded. Now years later, the old magic is returning, the Sleeping God is rising, and there are more Dreamers than Mr. Moon can handle as he struggles to rebuild the Night Scholars before its too late.

#5 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Another tale of the dangers of performance enhancing drugs and the 'interesting' side effects they can have, this time set in the UK, though it would be trivial to reset it in the US...

...kudos to the film makers for avoiding the obvious... it's a case of what does not happen, rather than what does...

#6 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:21 AM

A Quintet of short films, four are explicitly inspired by Lovecraft, the last not so much...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RITrBudjOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvSlUgSKEuc

Yronimoswhateley, I've also PMed a couple of suggestions that you might want to have a look at.

#7 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

I'm not referencing a particular video per se, but some of the incidents surrounding the TV show "The Deadliest Catch" would make for a good intro to Black Cod Island. One of the ship captains died of a stroke in 2010, and several others refused to finish voice-over work for other episodes. You wouldn't have to add much to make this a response by the islanders, after a boat went somewhere it shouldn't have. And perhaps there is some footage in the network archives that they don't want anyone to see.... https://artsbeat.blo...-quit-the-show/
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#8 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

I just found the trailer to a 'New Age/UFO Believer' film on Vimeo, it generates a nicely paranoid vibe and given that we know what the Greys really are...

https://vimeo.com/on...ningof12strands

The very detailed plot summary from Vimeo is below.

Spoiler

Later: A 12 minute Horror film with distinct possibilities.

Another 20 minute short horror/sci-fi film, this one involves someone 'hiding out' and discovering he is being watched, as it is based on flying saucer lore, the Delta Green possibilities are obvious.

Edited by Graham, 24 February 2017 - 09:37 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Delta Green, Film, TV, Resource