#41 Shrike

Shrike

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

Very sad not to hear my name called for the folio treasure, but I do hope the Fall of the Wall becomes something you are happy about rather than resigned to happening. If someone does not step forward to buy the whole lot, how will you go about selling the collection item by item? I can only assume the collection extends well past the 2005 cut-off date in the listing you've shared ...

I for one could be persuaded to bid on some Pagan Publishing rarities for a good cause, for example, and who knows what else.

#IITWI

#42 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

If the collection does not sell as a complete archive I will set out how it will be sold piecemeal in a new thread in Arkham Market Square, should the time come.

#43 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

Oh I'm a sucker for good stationery, even if I'll probably get in trouble if I get more notepads :) So #iitwi please.

Thanks for another fun instalment. Thanks especially for the crowdfunding discussion, which was very frank.

#44 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

Oh I'm a sucker for good stationery, even if I'll probably get in trouble if I get more notepads :) So #iitwi please.

If you win them, they're guilt-free! :-)

#45 Lost Sojourner

Lost Sojourner

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationThe Dreamlands

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:27 AM

That was a very suspenseful wait for announcing the winner.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-Douglas Adams

#46 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

I am still, like Chris, upset that you have to get rid of your collection, Paul. However, I know the decision has its reasons and I hope its sale can raise a good chunk of money for the site.

The show had a frank account of some of the problems with Kickstarting things. That said, people should grab a copy of The Express Diaries, because it is a great read! I hope both you an Chris enjoy Cthulhu Dark when it comes out - I picked up Cthulhu Dark Zero from Graham at Dragonmeet last year and it is a cracking good read. I unfortunately couldn't back the Kickstarter, but I hope Graham will have copies available in the future...

The Yellow King RPG looks intriguing - I have backed this, mainly because it is a Pelgrane product and they always product high quality books. Plus it is Gumshoe, which is one of my favourite systems. And that slipcase set looks gorgeous.

I can't remember whether the winners of the Chaosium scenario writing competition have made it to NfP or CBC yet, but you should give them a mention at some point if you haven't already. some scenarios have been run at Origins this month, and other look to be making their first appearances at Gen Con in August.

Finally, the Stationery Isle is one of my favourite threads in the YSDC Patrons area - some really neat ideas and links to cool stationery stuff. I would love a new Rhodia pad to try out their clairefontaine paper, especially if it is a dot pad so I can start a new bullet journal to support my blogging. #IITWI

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#47 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

FreddieF, Some of the Chaosium competition winner scenarios were run at UK Games Expo this year, 4 IIRC. I ran Weekend in the Woods, Matt Ryan's scenario. CJ Romer ran The Kids are Alright and others ran two more.  I don't know if Those Within was one of those two off-hand.

Nigel

#48 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for this, Nigel. I am unsure of which conventions (other than the biggies) that they are getting run at - I wasn't aware that any aside from The Kid's Aren't Alright were being run at the Expo, but it is good to know that some were! I am interested in getting some feedback on how mine was received by other GMs, purely for my own benefit of growing as a scenario writer  :-D

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#49 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

I checked through the listings at the UKGE website and The Necropolis and Midnight Masquerade were run by David Mascari and What's in the Cellar and Midnight Masquerade were run by Si Barnes several times as demo's. Not sure if Kids wasn't properly formatted in time as the reason for it not running, but we were down to the wire  with some of those scenarios coming in to the Keepers on the Monday or Tuesday before Expo making getting them into the programme very hard and needing organiser assistance.

Nigel

#50 MiskatonicProf

MiskatonicProf

Neophyte

• Old Patron
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

Any show that deals with both Lovecraft and stationary has my full attention!  For some, office supplies are a source of stability.  For others, the path to madness.   In any case...  #IITWI

Edited by MiskatonicProf, 28 June 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#51 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Any show that deals with both Lovecraft and stationary has my full attention!

Ok that obviously begs the question: is there any Lovecraftian stationery available to buy? Maybe some custom Rhodia notepads? :)

#52 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

There's a few pieces on places like Redbubble for Cthulhu and Lovecraft stationery (or stationery-ish) items.

It's something I hope we get a chance to look into further once we've regenerated the Yoggie coffers a little bit more.

#53 Wolverstone

Wolverstone

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:20 AM

I've been a lurker/fan/patron of the site for quite some time, but recent events have made me want to try to interact more often.

I'm certainly #IITWI this time. I discovered Rhodia notebooks through one of PoCs videos about them a couple of years ago and now use one of their dot pads as my preferred notebook at work.

I am also looking forward to the Two-Headed Serpent files when they are ready. I'm a fan of the pulp era and this just sounds like fun!

#54 RogerBW

RogerBW

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Locationnear London, UK

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

A great episode, and I'm certainly #IITWI for the stationery.

I'm with Chris in that it seems a shame that something specifically planned to help fund YSDC ended up not doing so (or at least nothing like as much as planned). I'll be upgrading my patron status when the current year's membership expires.

Kickstarter hasn't had the huge crash that some people were predicting, but I think that it's become accepted that you pretty much need a slick video and a massive social media presence – and lots of stretch goals to stop the whiners from whining, even though that may well end up losing you money. I'm starting to see a few campaigns deliberately departing from the stereotype, which is fine as long as they don't mind staying medium-small.

Role-playing: Tekeli-li including podcast "Improvised Radio Theatre - With Dice" and the new home of Whartson Hall Gamers
3d printing for boardgames, RPGs, etc.

#55 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

Good insights on the kickstarting industry. The narrow window of sales has been in the back of my mind but interesting to have the reality revealed.

I do have a pair of nice notebooks with a latex Cthulhu on the cover, which will be used one day for the right project but as my wife says you can't have too many notebooks.

#IITWI

#56 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

...but as my wife says you can't have too many notebooks.

- and there is wisdom. It seems we're quite a errr... wise household too. :-D

(Though we are trying to fill them!)

#57 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:46 PM

I bought my first Rhodia notebook based after reading about them in the stationery thread and quite like it, but I'm still questing for the perfect one.

The KS conversation was very interesting.

#iitwi

#58 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

I've found Rhodia Premium to be the best for me so far (90 gsm vs. standard Rhodia 80 gsm). There are many other fine (fountain pen friendly) notebooks. Also well regarded are:

This is definitely heading into "Stationery Isle" territory. ;-)

#59 AndreasDavour

AndreasDavour

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

Are Chaosium going to publish those scenario winners somewhere? They did publish something online, but maybe that was Old Chaosium days?

#IITWI

--
The Omnipotent Eye
Blogging about new school, old school and everything in between

#60 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

Are Chaosium going to publish those scenario winners somewhere? They did publish something online, but maybe that was Old Chaosium days?

#IITWI

Hi Andreas

We will/are making the competition winner scenarios available to the Cult of Chaos, our volunteer GM/Keeper programme (you can join up for free on the Chaosium website).

In time we may make decide to fully publish certain scenarios, where they suit a particular book.

Many are being run at GenCon and other conventions this year.

Mike

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Podcast