190 replies to this topic

#1 jpowell

jpowell

Master

• Patron+
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

I found the thread for the last one, but as far as I can tell none for this years.

I have booked my trip, and am meeting up with some of the guys behind Skype of Cthulhu.

Any other Yoggie's heading to this?

#2 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

I'm going and hope we can have a Yoggie meet up like last time.

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,147 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

Helen and I had a wonderful time at the last one. We'll be most jealous of those attending this year!

H.P. Lovecraft Memorial Square
Album: Providence
45 images
1 comments

It was great to meet everyone. I very much hope there is a Yog Meet!

NecronomiCon 2015 Yog Meet

#4 sasori

sasori

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Bought my ticket last night. This will be my first time, but I'm really looking forward to it.

#5 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

I bought a ticket this year.  I'll be a first-time attendee, and am looking forward to it!

#6 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:21 PM

I am considering attending for the first time. My focus would be in shopping/selling my writing, however. Is there much opportunity?

#7 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

I've been to 4 Necronomicons - 2 in the nineties and the 2 recent ones that Niels and the Arts and Sciences have put on. I was quick enough to score a Gold pass this year.I'd be happy to try to answer any questions that my fellow Yogges have.

On vending. A tough call for me to comment on that other than the price of a regular sized table for the entire con is $250.00 I think and that's reasonable since in comes with two passes. The general public has to pay $5.00 to enter the vendor area and I feel it should be free and open to the public but that's just my 02. There are @ 75 vendors - everything from t shirts to sculpture to grave stone rubbings and hydrocasts of beautiful New England grave stones, to books and other art. Fabulous breadth and scope of businesses I will warrant. 

The convention is very 'book' and author heavy - with this year having a distinct emphasis on new and current Mythos authors over last year which was admittedly HPL centric , what with his 125 yr anniversary and all.

Edited by Nick Storm, 29 January 2017 - 05:02 PM.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#8 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Just FYI for everyone, the Biltmore hotel is out of rooms at the convention rate.  The cheapest ones right now are $210.  I called them to make sure that was really the case, and it is.

The Omni still has rooms available for the convention price ($159/night).  It's right next door to the Biltmore, and both hotels have NecronomiCon events going on in them.

#9 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

the Omni is where the vendor hall is based and is attached to the huge retail mall and still in a great location for all around walking. The biltmore is the older historied building that the old man took a shine to and has about 80% of the panels inside to include gaming on top floor, the ball and of course, prayer breakfast.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#10 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

I am considering attending for the first time. My focus would be in shopping/selling my writing, however. Is there much opportunity?

Fiction writing or gaming writing? It overlaps with GenCon this year, so I'm not sure how many gaming companies will be in attendance.

#11 sasori

sasori

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

I'm heading more for the gaming. Sad about the overlap. Hope my favourite companies can find enough people to cover both.

#12 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

there is lots of mythos boardgame 'sign ups'. All the fantasy flight stuff as well as Sandy Petersen live and in the flesh. Chaosium is in the vendor area but again, if board and card mythos games are your thing, then you are in for a treat. No worries. There is also a bit of LARP stuff too I believe.

#13 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Fiction writing or gaming writing? It overlaps with GenCon this year, so I'm not sure how many gaming companies will be in attendance.

Both. I figure I'd cover each at this con. But it looks like I need to make a decision soon.

#14 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

The con is almost pure mythos and weird fiction. Not a lot of horror and almost zero fantasy. Same with the gaming. The con is a tremendously superb niche and is very specific. There will be some Robert E Howard and CAS, but again, they easily fall into the weird. 

#15 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

There's a whole hotel floor of gaming and more games every year.

Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#16 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:48 AM

the Omni is where the vendor hall is based and is attached to the huge retail mall and still in a great location for all around walking. The biltmore is the older historied building that the old man took a shine to and has about 80% of the panels inside to include gaming on top floor, the ball and of course, prayer breakfast.

I really wanted to stay in the Biltmore, but at least it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time in it.  Panels are the things I enjoy most at conventions.

I'm looking forward to seeing a list of exactly who will be there this year, a schedule, etc. 

#17 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:11 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing a list of exactly who will be there this year, a schedule, etc.

From an email that went out mid-January, guests so far:
  • Ellen Datlow
  • Kij Johnson
  • Stephen Graham Jones
  • Steve Mariconda
  • Nnedi Okorafor
  • John Jude Palencar
  • Donald Sidney-Fryer
  • Richard Stanley
  • Peter Straub

#18 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

From an email that went out mid-January, guests so far:

• Ellen Datlow
  • Kij Johnson
  • Stephen Graham Jones
  • Steve Mariconda
  • Nnedi Okorafor
  • John Jude Palencar
  • Donald Sidney-Fryer
  • Richard Stanley
  • Peter Straub

Very cool!  Thanks much!

#19 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

the 2017 guest list and special guest list should grow to over 75-100. Authors and artisans alike.  Here's last years for example.

http://necronomicon-...rchives/guests/

Edited by Nick Storm, 30 January 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#20 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

Well, I'm going. It's a big expense, but, I trust, worthwhile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Convention