4 replies to this topic

#1 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Currently brainstorming a Gaslight campaign but unsure whether to make it Mythos based or an MR Jamesian folklore based one. The setting for this second option would be E Hertfordshire / NW Essex (where I grew up) and would have the flavour of the folklore of East Anglia as a whole.

One story from the region that fascinates me is this;-

http://ghostsighting...llericay?page=1

But with the added detail from another version of the story, that on the third visit when the nurse pulled up the woman's veil she was faced with a mouldy decayed rotted skull.

I am wanting to transfer this to an ex Manor House, now hospital, but some fifty years after the initial story. Make it a curse placed by a1700's abused wife of one of the lords of the manor who finally, after much abuse, killed herself, but promised that, while she remains whole, her dead face would be the last thing every male descendent of that lord, dying in his house, would ever see!

This curse applies to EVERY male descendent (how ever far removed) who dies in the building (which, since it is the local hospital is quite frequent!) and has continued over the years but only previously spotted once, as per the above story.

But, in my scenario, the above has happened again and another nurse freaked out and so cue the Investigators!

One thing that concerns me, though, is that I want one of the Investigators, to uncover the fact that they too are a (distant) male relation of that lord!!

If you were Keeping this scenario who would you choose? My feeling is the Player who gets the most involved in roleplaying his character and who best reacts to the jumps and chills of the game?

All thoughts appreciated

Edited by ReydeAmarillo, 22 January 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#2 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

If you were Keeping this scenario who would you choose? My feeling is the Player who gets the most involved in roleplaying his character and who best reacts to the jumps and chills of the game?

Usually if a scenario hinges on a particular PC being involved, you want to pick the PC whose player is absent the least.
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#3 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

Usually if a scenario hinges on a particular PC being involved, you want to pick the PC whose player is absent the least.

That is the most practical word of wisdom ever!!

#4 SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

Aside from the Tatterdemalion King's excellent advice, there are two criteria I'd go for:

Whichever one is injured, and stuck in the hospital.

And the whichever one is most into the roleplaying option.

#5 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

Sunless Nick thank you for your excellent (and evil!!) advice.

Playing this scenario immedietly after one Investigator took major damage,and is hospitalised, gives both the hook and the motive for the scenario.

An overheard aside between two porters about The Woman and how one of them saw her hanging around another male patient just before he died should get the ball rolling.

The only problem is that being bedridden the Investigator waiting for her visit is a little limited in what he can do for the whole scenario. Lots of talking to staff and Library Use in the Records Office !!

Edited by ReydeAmarillo, 24 January 2017 - 07:18 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaslight