9 replies to this topic

#1 Ghul

Ghul

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

Yog Sothoth readers,

My name is Jeff Talanian, and I routinely post in the Arkham Market Square, which is described as thus:

For/about publishers (free & commercial), traders, fundraising, announcements & collector talk.

I have a small publishing company. I make posts in the designated area for my small publishing efforts. I always confine my project posts to a single thread. Some folks have enjoyed my commercial posts, which, again, I have kept limited to a single thread; I do not spam the board,I am a frequent reader, but I don't typically post outside my commercial posts, again -- in the forum designated as a place to make commercial posts.

Today I noticed my thread was locked:

http://www.yog-sotho...-edition/page-3

It included a link from PoC that reads the following:

Posts announcing crowd funders, Kickstarters and promotions etc., are very welcome in the Arkham Market Square forum, as are updates on progress, however due to some ... over-zealous... use of the facility (especially by those whose only contribution to the community seems to be their crowd funder) - creators/promoters are now asked to keep to a limit of five posts regarding their crowd funder or commercial promotion - this is to help it not feel like spam, i.e. it's usually best to update when there is something significant to report.

Exemptions to this limit are available to members holding site supporter accounts. Please contact me to discuss.

Either way, if you're crowd funding or promoting your commercial activities please try to be considerate of your fellow site members when posting about your project. Everyone wants you to succeed but I'm sure no one (including you) wants your activities to feel like spam! Thank you.

PoC is in a position of authority here, with an admin account and 17,000+ posts. He (or she) has locked only my thread in the Arkham Market Square, so I'm forced to conclude this is directed completely and solely at me: A new rule, a single poster's thread locked; hence, a new rule created and directed at me and me alone.

So, to the community, I'm curious about the following: When one creates a thread in a forum that is "For/about publishers (free & commercial), traders, fundraising, announcements & collector talk" and a publisher of Mythos-related gaming material makes a crowdfunding thread for a Mythos-related project, and keeps it confined to a single thread, are you offended? Have I crossed the virtual line by making frequent updates? Or is this simply PoC's "old boy" network, and I'm not one of PoC's "old boys"?

Who knows? Maybe now I have crossed the line for my sheer audacity. Perhaps this thread will be locked and deleted before too many people read it. I would not be surprised. 

Kind regards,
Jeffrey Talanian
North Wind Adventures

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea: Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

#2 Deodanth

Deodanth

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hi Jeff.  PoC is, as far as I know, the site owner and head admin here.

I know ASSoH to be an outstanding product, so congratulations are in order.

Apart from the above, I don't have any opinion.  I wish you all the best in your business and your gaming.

#3 Ghul

Ghul

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

Hi Jeff.  PoC is, as far as I know, the site owner and head admin here.

I know ASSoH to be an outstanding product, so congratulations are in order.

Apart from the above, I don't have any opinion.  I wish you all the best in your business and your gaming.

Thanks for your support, Deodanth. Well, in that case, PoC ought to be ashamed of himself for his behavior. Reality check: I'm not "spamming" the board when, as a small press publisher of HPL-inspired materials, I am promoting creative content for the gaming community who enjoy and gather here for this very thing. I'm not here saying buy Coca-Cola or "Check out these new wireless phone rates!" I'm promoting creative content to the community of gamers who enjoy the works of REH, HPL, and CAS. If that is spamming here, then something is wrong, and the creator/owner of this community has lost sight of things.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea: Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

#4 MonkeyPrime

MonkeyPrime

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:34 PM

So, to the community, I'm curious about the following: When one creates a thread in a forum that is "For/about publishers (free & commercial), traders, fundraising, announcements & collector talk" and a publisher of Mythos-related gaming material makes a crowdfunding thread for a Mythos-related project, and keeps it confined to a single thread, are you offended? Have I crossed the virtual line by making frequent updates? Or is this simply PoC's "old boy" network, and I'm not one of PoC's "old boys"?

Who knows? Maybe now I have crossed the line for my sheer audacity. Perhaps this thread will be locked and deleted before too many people read it. I would not be surprised. 

Kind regards,
Jeffrey Talanian
North Wind Adventures

Hi Ghul
I think it does count as spam as you're bumping your own thread, most boards I post on dissuade this. I don't feel that there's an "Old Boys" network in Yog-Sothoth, I actually think its quite welcoming and I tend to agree that if you contribute to the site in other ways. Until recently I was a patron and you get your money's worth and I think that works for those who are using the site to promote their business. But that's just me.

I would say that posting this here when you're still possibly a bit wound up about it won't really help and starting on PoC isn't the best idea. He's a fair guy and I think runs the site well. Sorry if this wasn't what you wanted to read
"Give me pony, or give me death.... or quiche actually that would be nice as well"

#5 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hello sir, and congrats on your releases! The Game is amazing and I think you have a lot of fans on this site. I know PoC has recommended your companies work several times, and included helpful links for getting access to your materials.

It's possible the lock happened in error, or was a quality-control issue. (I.E. looked like spam, so it just became automatically blocked) I'm betting on a simple error, but I don't think aggressively picking a fight with the administrator is helpful to you cause. A simple PM to PoC will clarify the situation I'm sure.

As for an "Old Boys" system, I don't know what your implying or why you'd accuse Yog-sothoth.com of wrong-doing. I understand becoming terse sir, but can't we remain civil?

Edited by Aklo, 08 December 2016 - 01:45 PM.

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#6 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

Hi Ghul,

I can see you're upset, but as Deodanth pointed out, this is Paul's site, and that means it is up to him to set and enforce the rules.  That does include whether he wants to allow more leeway to users who contribute financially to keeping the site running, and those who are heavily involved in the community beyond giving publisher updates (useful as those are).

I noticed that you're posting every new Kickstarter update in the thread, and I can see that coming across as excessive - people who want that much information can follow the KS itself.  As Aklo said it's not an unusual policy to discourage bumping, and I wouldn't take it personally.

YSDC has always been a friendly and welcoming community, which I why I ended up staying here and becoming a Patron.  I don't think making a public post like this will help matters, especially when you end it by taunting/challenging the site owner.  I appreciate you originally didn't know who he was, but if you've got concerns or questions about site policy I would take it up with Paul privately.

#7 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

BTW besides your promotional posts and this complaint thread how many of your 75 posts have been participating in the other forums on this site?

If you don't participate in the forums then I'm not surprised that Paul has locked your promotional thread as it might be construed as adding nothing to the discussions here.

#8 Armitage

Armitage

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Have you contacted Paul and asked why your post was locked?  You're not banned or we wouldn't be reading this post so that says something.  Also I'm afraid labeling Paul a "good ole boy" doesn't hold up especially with his last product review and interview of Mike Mason.  It has been my experience that Paul is a gentleman and is both polite and very approachable so PM him first before you hurl accusations on his web site.                 

"Sanity is a sawed-off shotgun." -Frank Gulp

#9 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:17 PM

If you take issue with the site's rules and moderation, under the Terms of Use for YSDC, you should contact PoC or the other moderators directly rather than making a post in this way.  As the Terms state:

Issues with forum moderation should be taken up privately with the relevant moderator. Forum moderation is not considered a topic for public discussion. Posts edited by Moderators should not be further edited.

Thread locked, pending removal.

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

Moved to META.

Thank you, Bret (and all, for your replies). I will just crack open the thread to make this post.

So…

PoC Makes Up the Rules for Yog-Sothoth on Whims

Yes I do.

If by whim you mean drawing on more than a quarter century of experience of moderating online forums and taking thought before enacting decisions. I am in fact, by the terms of the web site, a Tyrant.

The tyrannical site owner is PoC. As such all posts, comments and other materials are made under aegis of the site owner and moderators.

An unpleasant position, but history has proved it to be a necessary one. There are many people who help out with Yog-Sothoth (admins, moderators, contributors) but the buck always stops with me.

PoC is in a position of authority here, with an admin account and 17,000+ posts. He (or she)…

I do not spam the board, I am a frequent reader...

In which case, being such a frequent reader, after my 17,000 posts you might have ascertained if I was male or female by now? ;-)

A new rule, a single poster's thread locked; hence, a new rule created and directed at me and me alone.

Incorrect.

Why the new rule? As explained in the META forum post, they do begin to feel like spam. Relentless day after day posting and promotion freely leveraging traffic built up over nearly 20 years yet with little or no other contribution to the community. Is the new rule a ban on promoting projects? No. It's simply to help reduce the number of posts to something more meaningful and considered than following some hackneyed “Kickstarter Promotion 101 - post early & often” tactics; especially when that is ostensibly the only contribution to the community. People have spoken to me on this matter and a decision was made. Again the buck stops with me.

Or is this simply PoC's "old boy" network, and I'm not one of PoC's "old boys”?

If you had indeed spent more time here you would have realised (as others have said), that this is not the case. Everyone is subject to site rules, whether you’re a new sign up, patron, or member #3. Keith Herber and Sandy Petersen were also the subject of moderator comments in the past. I do not care about who or what you are. What I care about is the content of your character. [I find that to be a general life rule.] So no - there is no "old boy" network at play here.

Perhaps this thread will be locked and deleted before too many people read it. I would not be surprised.

As noted, site administration and moderation are not topics for forum discussion (again a general rule developed over many, many years), but an exception is being made here in order to counter the errors and allegations you have made publicly about me on my own site.

Your Kickstarter project was very successful (a sincere congratulations) but your behaviour and attitude here have not covered you (or your colleague chainsaw) in glory. Still, I wish you well with Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, I do enjoy the first edition but alas I might not be picking up the second...

- but in the end you were right, this thread was locked.