• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 QueenArdana

QueenArdana

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

Hi there,

I'm about to run a one shot of ToC and have the idea to use the Asylum of Sucker Punch as my main site. Most probably the film's building as the real thing, a front for what's beneath. Some sort of cult for sure. I'm now looking / asking for ideas for what's really behind/beneath the Asylum...

Thanks a lot in advance for your input.

Cheers

Ardana

#2 OlderNick

OlderNick

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

So I haven't seen Sucker Punch. Did just watch a trailer though. And then I watched some guy who probably thinks he's really funny spend ten or so minutes telling us why the movie is stupid.

So I don't really have a lot to go on, but this is my spontaneous thought:

The Dreamlands.

Parts the staff at the asylum are aware of the Dreamlands, but can't go there themselves, so they are experimenting on their patients to send them there.

As the patients learn about the Dreamlands, the two worlds blur together and they are able to escape the asylum. However, the path they escaped through is open long enough for the staff/cult to enter the Dreamlands physically. They of course use the Dreamlands for some nefarious deed.

The Investigators would either be patients who explore the Dreamlands, escape, and then have to return to take down the people who kept them in there.

Or they could be the people who get sent to capture the escaped mental patients, and as they return them one by one to the asylum they start realizing that something is very wrong...

The Shadow over Dewsbury

#3 QueenArdana

QueenArdana

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

Thank you. That is already a great idea!

#4 johnmcfloss

johnmcfloss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationCardiff, UK

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:00 AM

There's a game by Dennis Detwiller called Insylum that may be worth a look at for fluff (I believe it's free on his webpage - https://detwillerdes...space.com/free/) - it's awfully similar to OlderNick's suggestion, only about Carcosa instead of The Dreamlands.

It's always struck me as having an awful lot of potential.

#5 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

This is a fun place to set things: http://trans-alleghe...aticasylum.com/ (for fun read horrible). I've got some atmospheric photos from our visit earlier this year. One of the exhibits was the patient's artwork. Here's a flavour.

a1.jpg a2.jpg

Also, check out Crazy Block from Toying with Humans. We had a great time with it.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#6 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

Dreamlands is totally the way to go with this.

D.

#7 QueenArdana

QueenArdana

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks all, will try tonight and report afterwards.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film