• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Hi all - I've posted this same question over on Google Plus and Facebook, so apologies to any widely traveled 'net wanderers who see the same question there. With the new Delta Green rpg, I've got a skill use question:

Is the Bureaucracy skill essentially the Persuade skill for organizations instead of individuals? That's my mental shorthand for it, but want to make sure I'm on the right track.

For example, I have a Professor of English as a Delta Green agent. He wants to convince the hospital not to look too deeply into the incident that brought him to the hospital for stitches. He's not affiliated with the hospital, and essentially wants to waive away uncomfortable questions. He uses Bureaucracy to do this, yes?

#2 MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

Based on my understanding of the DG system, I'd call that a CHA roll not a Bureaucracy roll. It'd depend on how well they made their case, but to my mind it's not 'fast talk'.

That said, if your hacker can get into the hospital computer system, a bureaucrat could do a good job of hiding information away in plain sight.

My mental summary for bureaucracy is "game the system"

#3 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:17 AM

Based on my understanding of the DG system, I'd call that a CHA roll not a Bureaucracy roll. It'd depend on how well they made their case, but to my mind it's not 'fast talk'.

Wouldn't a 'fast talk' roll be Persuade?

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#4 Deodanth

Deodanth

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:04 AM

I know it's not the same rules system, but the CoC 7th ed. Keeper's Handbook offers some very apt guidance for this matter, on p.196: "Ask the Player!" It can be fun to resolve tasks by relying on the numbers on your character sheet and/or a few good dice rolls (indeed that is the essence of both game systems); but it can be even more satisfying to win through good role-play. As a Handler I would encourage this trend by compelling the Agent to come up with a specific plan and then narrate through it.

In this case, your English Prof should decide on a story or "pitch" to convince the physician or nurse to treat his injury without telling the whole truth of how he got it. Once the player comes up with the pitch, the Handler plays out the dialogue and decides how to resolve it -- most likely referencing either the Prof's CHAx5, his Persuade skill, or a combination of the two. A really convincing story can be rewarded with the discretionary +20%, or even auto success. I can see the Bureaucracy skill being used only for a specific kind of pitch. Maybe the Prof has memorized some ections of the HIPAA law and can impress the doc by reciting them, then claim that his insurance policy with the University has a specific clause allowing him to be treated without disclosing a lot of information... Far fetched I know, but it fits with the general mood of desperation in Delta Green.

#5 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:04 AM

Yes. It says as much on p32, it is used to manipulate and persuade the rules and people that govern an organisation.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Delta Green