#1 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:28 PM

Just listened today to the BBC audio drama Ringing the Changes - shades of ​Shadow Over Innsmouth​. It's an adaptation of a Robert Aickman story, and is very evocative. It's still on iPlayer for a couple of weeks, and I think it's worth a listen.

I also listened to Death Duty​, which is a very chilling dystopian tale reminiscent of The Lottery​. It's on for about a month. Certainly good fare for this time of year.

#2 Insanity

Insanity

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

A not so eerie, but still a good audio drama series is "The Scarifyers" produced by Bafflegab. One episode deals with Shub-Niggurath being awoken on the coast of Kent in England.

"When all else fails, give up and go to the library."

#3 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

Not really audio dramas, but worth a listen IMHO, are the podcasts from Pacific Northwest stories Tanis & The Black Tapes

As they 'feature' investigative journalists they could be a good group for investigators to belong to......

#4 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

I very much recommend Glass Eye Pix's Tales from the Beyond the Pale.  They're done in the style of Old Time Radio but the stories are far more modern (for instance, some are really quite gruesome). 

http://talesfrombeyo...pale.com/store/

#5 vsolfronk

vsolfronk

Master

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBirmingham

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

There is no beating the HP Lovecraft's Historical Society's Dark Adventure Radio Theater: http://www.hplhs.org/dart.php

They are all fantastic.

No good deed goes unpunished...

#6 Insanity

Insanity

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

There is no beating the HP Lovecraft's Historical Society's Dark Adventure Radio Theater: http://www.hplhs.org/dart.php

They are all fantastic.

Absolutely. The props that come with them are also great.

"When all else fails, give up and go to the library."

#7 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

They are all fantastic.

Well, I thought they were a given on these boards.  If anyone is not familiar with the HPLHS DART programs, they are brilliant!

#8 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

Just listened today to the BBC audio drama Ringing the Changes - shades of ​Shadow Over Innsmouth​. It's an adaptation of a Robert Aickman story, and is very evocative. It's still on iPlayer for a couple of weeks, and I think it's worth a listen.....

I just want to add here that I can't recommend Aickman highly enough to fans of weird fiction.

Aickman is one of that handful of authors who, like Kafka, Lovecraft, Shirley Jackson, or Thomas Ligotti, has an instantly recognizable and vaguely obsessive style, mood, philosophy, and psychology to his stories, one that's complicated and many-layered enough that it seems like there's always some new layer or secret to discover even when the story seems short and simple at first glance, and even when the stories seem like they're running entirely on internal dream-logic, that dream-logic seems consistent with much of the author's other output.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#9 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

I just want to add here that I can't recommend Aickman highly enough to fans of weird fiction.

Aickman is one of that handful of authors who, like Kafka, Lovecraft, Shirley Jackson, or Thomas Ligotti, has an instantly recognizable and vaguely obsessive style, mood, philosophy, and psychology to his stories, one that's complicated and many-layered enough that it seems like there's always some new layer or secret to discover even when the story seems short and simple at first glance, and even when the stories seem like they're running entirely on internal dream-logic, that dream-logic seems consistent with much of the author's other output.

I did get that sense from the adaptation - the story, despite being short, relatively simple, and without a huge amount of detail, presented a strange place in an extremely compelling manner.

#10 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Aickman is a marvel. You can hear the Hospice on iPlayer too but it's not very well read.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#11 Dante7

Dante7

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Not really audio dramas, but worth a listen IMHO, are the podcasts from Pacific Northwest stories Tanis & The Black Tapes

As they 'feature' investigative journalists they could be a good group for investigators to belong to......

I definitely second this recommendation!  Tanis has more overtly Lovecraftian aspects, but Black Tapes is definitely not to be missed either.  I've been trying to come up with a way to link Black Tapes's Order of the Cenophus's (possible) plans with other malevolent musical projects like Massa di Requiem per Shuggay (and tie Alexander Scriabin in there too)

#12 fluffy

fluffy

Breakfast Clubber

• Innsmouth House Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

What a great thread, there are loads of lovely ideas. As my post festive two pennorth, another radio gem:

Jerome K Jerome - After Supper Ghost Stories http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b0868pcg

Maybe not Cthulhu but fun.
Always carry a sturdy safety pin

#13 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

I highly recommend the No Sleep podcast. Amazing horror stories read by professionals.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Audio