2 replies to this topic

#1 MoundOfMadness

MoundOfMadness

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:08 PM

I'm looking for information on couture dressmakers for female investigators in both London and New York for both '20s and Victorian settings.

Men's wear fine Brooke Brothers in New York and Henry Poole in London.

The only one I have found so far is Mason Lucile in London.

Now I understand that Paris and Milan ruled the roost in terms of women's fashion world. But how would a fashionable woman in 1920s New York obtain a new dress? Or would off the peg fashion from like likes of Lord & Taylor or Sak's be her choice?

Also on a side note is there a New York equivalent to James Purdey or William Evans in terms of firearms?

Any help would be most appreciated.

#2 Hardrada55

Hardrada55

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:29 AM

The company Griffin and Howe formed in 1923 in New York City to produce custom hunting rifles in standard and magnum calibers.  In 1930 it was bought by Abercrombie and Fitch.  In 1917,  Abercrombie and Fitch, an upscale sporting good store, utilized all of a 12 story building in New York City.  The basement had a shooting range and the 7th floor had a gun room for the retail sale of all kinds of guns, from all over the world.  Von Lengerke & Detmold was another New York City firearms retailer.  They mainly imported fine European firearms to the US.  Fred Adolph was an very skilled German immigrant gunsmith of Genoa, New York who imported and built his own high quality firearms. 

#3 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

As for the couturier, there is, of course, Eulalie Souers, which could be very fun in a campaign context:

https://en.wikipedia.../Roderick_Spode

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaslight, Jazz Age