• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

Can anyone comment on the quality of the BtMoM PDF on DTRPG? Since its unlikely I'll be able to afford an actual copy of it, and its on sale ATM, I'm thinking of getting the PDF and then getting a really nice PoD printing of it, but want to make sure its a good quality PDF and not a scan of the original book.

#2 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:17 AM

I suspect that some of the older Chaosium scenario/supplement books are scans rather than OCR'd files as they may not have the files in current machine readable formats any longer (software is deprecated etc). I don't know about BtMoM in particular though but I do know that Chaosium are arranging to have people scan and OCR the old Worlds of Wonder material for rerelease in a crowdsourcing initiative so it may be that they will eventually get all their older material into this format (OCR'd etc).

Relevant to this I got the POD printed copy of the Swords and Glory book from Tekumel that the Tekumel Foundation put out and it's a scan rather than OCR'd and it's perfectly legible despite being in a very small font and having all the diacrital marks entered by hand as found in the original. So assuming that any previews are legible you can almost certainly assume that the whole book is legible and will be so after being printed.

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

The PDF I have of BtMoM is a full electronic print copy rather than a scan. Looks fine to me.

#4 BrianL

BrianL

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

I bought the PDF a few months back (direct from Chaosium) and it's a very good quality scan, as far as I can tell. Zooming in on the text and images, I can see that they look crisp and sharply defined. I suspect it would print well. The maps look a tiny bit pixelated up close but I don't think it would be noticeable if printed out normal size.

I assume it's the same PDF that's on DTRPG.
Omnia exeunt in mysterium. | G+

#5 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

Thanks PoC! That helps!

#6 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

As PoC said, not a scan, but an electronic copy. Very good.
Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#7 Travern

Travern

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

DTRPG's "Format" notation in the product specs column (all the way on the right of the web page) specifically says whether the title is a "scanned image" or an "original electronic" document.  (Most of their title also come with a PDF preview containing enough pages to give an idea of the overall quality.)  The scanned titles I've purchased from them have been of good enough quality and include a machine-generated OCR layer, for what it's worth.

In any case, DTRPG offers BtMoM as a digital document, just like the one from Chaosium's store.  Incidentally, while the latter is running a sale on fiction for Halloween, the former has one for horror titles from Chaosium and Arc Dream, among many others.

#8 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

I also noticed that while the sale price at DTRPG for this is cheaper atm ($15, normally $22), the normal price at Chaosium's site is cheaper ($19.47)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Buy, Publisher