Photo
- - - - -

UPDATED (28/01/04): The Yog-Sothoth.com Keeper's Companion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Robbie

Robbie

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 08:21 PM

After months of discussion we are ready to announce that we have embarked on a suite of online Keeper tools to appear under the working title of The Yog-Sothoth.com Keeper's Companion.

Using a similar approach to the Players' Directory, this will be a stand-alone application consisting of a database of:
  • BRP Characters
  • d20 Characters
  • BRP Deities, Beasts and Monsters
  • d20 Creatures
Each sub-application will be searchable by era and system (and other pertinent criterion), and is intended to be utilised by Keepers looking for ready-to-use dramatis personae for their game worlds.

It is anticipated that actual content will be provided by users wishing to share their NPCs/Players and custom creatures with the wider gaming community.

If this proves popular we may expand the Companion to include, for example, mythos tomes, artifacts, maps, plans and other handout material. But that's definitely for the future!

As it stands the database has been designed/tested and application design is underway.

ETA: Final days of 2003/dawn of 2004.

UPDATE 28/01/04: Two things have changed since we posted this news item originally.

1. The application has changed its name to Keeper's Toolkit.
2. Delivery time has slipped ... badly. What can only be described as 'Real Life' has colluded to put presure on me finishing an application for work -- before I get booted out at the end of February. I'll post an update here (again) when I have something to update. If I'm without work in March it will definately be done in March. Otherwise???

Apologies to anyone holding their breath on this one.

Robbie

#2 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 08:43 PM

This will be tremendous effort but the results should speak for themselves! Thank you!

#3 MrFilthyIke

MrFilthyIke

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 11:50 AM

Neat, neat, neat... :D
"The Old Ones were, the Old Ones are, and the Old Ones shall be. Not in the spaces we
know, but between them, They walk serene and primal, undimensioned and to us unseen."

#4 GHill

GHill

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 12:31 PM

When this originally came up I thought it would be a lot of unnecessary work on your behalf, but reading your plan for the layout it does sound like a cool resource and more friendly than wading through a particular thread posted for the purpose.

Cheers for the effort
Giles

#5 Cheesy_Nacho

Cheesy_Nacho

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 10:20 PM

Always glad of supporting materials.

:)
Regards

Cheesy

#6 Sacha

Sacha

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 11:48 AM

This should prove to be an invaluable resource for overworked, beleaguered Keepers everywhere. I particularly look forward to the NPC database.

Cheers,

Fingolfin.
Yes, but you're forgetting about the Rimmer Directive, which states, "Never tangle with anything that has more teeth than the entire Osmond family."

#7 Njal

Njal

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:56 PM

Good idea. Should be very helpful.

A suggestion: how about an area for people to post their scenario ideas and adventure seeds, etc. ?

#8 NestroEmichae

NestroEmichae

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:07 PM

You have my attention and my support.
If this were a CoC game, Dubya's last name would be Jermyne (intentional misspelling).

[quote:Delrio]You know English is a great language for precise communication, in much the same way that a fish makes a great hammer.[/quote]

#9 Robbie

Robbie

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:39 PM

A suggestion: how about an area for people to post their scenario ideas and adventure seeds, etc. ?

As it stands the four 'aspects' of the application -- renamed Keeper's Toolkit -- mentioned above will be the 'launch' features. However the intention is to add goodies to the toolkit, so further expansion, along the lines you mention, are being considered from the ground up. Kindly watch this space for future announcements! :)
Robbie

#10 Robbie

Robbie

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 10:53 AM

In answer to CAThompson's query: You will be able to submit characters/NPCs to the Keeper's Toolkit yourself. We wanted to make the application as 'user-driven' as possible (less work for us, more user friendly for you). ETA January!
Robbie

#11 The_Crawling_Chaos

The_Crawling_Chaos

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:26 PM

Would said program work for Macs?

#12 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:32 PM

It's web-based so should be platform independent.

Paul

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#13 The_Crawling_Chaos

The_Crawling_Chaos

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:42 PM

Woot.