Photo
- - - - -

Cthulhu Dark Ages Question - Taking Investigators to "Level 10"?

Dark Ages

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Myghell

Myghell

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

Greetings all,

If this is in the wrong place please forgive me.

I am being invited to play Cthulhu - Dark Ages, and I have not played this version before. The group I have been invited to join has played this only one other time, so we are all fairly new. The storyteller is telling us to make our investigators level 10. because she wants to let us go up against some "big boys". I do not know how I would go about elevating my investigator. Does anyone know how to do this? 

Thanks in advance for any help

Myghell

#2 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like either the D20 version of CoC which is IIRC out of print or the Keeper is using something other than standard Call of Cthulhu. You probably need to check and find out what is actually being played as a system.

#3 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:00 PM

Yes, in the standard, non d20 rules, if one wishes to increase the power of an investigator, one would add more skill points to the two skill point pools, either by increasing the multipliers used, or just assigning some arbitrary number of points, which would be determined by the Keeper.  Is there a formal d20 version of Cthulhu Dark Ages?

#4 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,416 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

Is there a formal d20 version of Cthulhu Dark Ages?

No, just the core book and Gamemaster's Pack and a few re-issued supplements with d20 stats (like Lovecraft Country Kingsport and Dunwich). Delta Green was also re-issued with d20 stats back in the day - but nothing for Dark Ages.

#5 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

The version of "Cthulhu: Dark Ages" I'm familiar with doesn't use levels, and I'd be surprised if the new version is much different in that respect.

"D20 Call of Cthulhu" does use levels, and could probably be converted to "Cthulhu Dark Ages" easily enough with a little home-brew work and some 3rd Edition D&D reference books.  However, D20 CoC, and especially a home-brew D20 Cthulhu: Dark Ages, are weird enough that I'd have to think that the RPG group would have surely mentioned that's what they were doing.

The "Pathfinder" variety of D20 D&D could in some ways be considered a sort of "Cthulhu: Dark Ages", in that it's a D&D variant with Lovecraft references heavily built into the setting, though it's far more a D&D standard-issue-sword-and-sorcery-fantasy setting than it is a Dark Ages setting by default, and would probably require some extensive home-brewing to be properly called "Cthulhu: Dark Ages", and I don't think most "Pathfinder" groups would call their game "Cthulhu: Dark Ages" in any event.

I would definitely get some clarification from the GM and the group about what's really going on with the rules set.  I'm suspecting either some sort of home-brew thing that you've somehow been left out of, or there's some sort of bizarre misunderstanding going on.

When you get the clarification, I would be very interested in hearing more about exactly what this group is using for its rules set, just to satisfy my own curiosity.  Do let us know what's going on!

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 24 October 2016 - 07:56 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#6 Myghell

Myghell

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I finally got a chance to sit down with the storyteller. What I was told me was this, she said that the group had only played Call of Cthulhu, 2 other times and that this was the first time any of them had played dark ages. She said that she wanted to start our investigators at level 10, because she wanted us to be able to enjoy the game, and not have investigators that “would crap their pants and die, the first time a real villain showed up”. She has said that she will talk to the others once some others get their investigators setup and would most likely take the advice that was given about just giving us some “bonus” points to use. 

#7 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

That still doesn't explain what she means by 'level 10'!
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#8 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

Exactly--the printed version of the Cthulhu Dark Ages rules has no levels, it is based on a different engine from Dungeons and Dragons and the rest of the d20 tribe, hence the confusion.

If someone (not me) has the big gold book to hand, please remind me of what suggestions are made for increased skill points for different levels of super-hero play.

Edited by wombat1, 27 October 2016 - 07:14 PM.

#9 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

My 2004 edition of "Cthulhu: Dark Ages" doesn't have any special rules for super-heroic play.

The BRP book suggests:

Spoiler

I'm sure that Pulp Cthulhu could also be used as a model for creating superheroic characters, and some sort of Pulp Dark Ages hybrid should be easy to house-rule together with minimal effort and fuss (considering that Pulp Cthulhu is basically a set of optional rules that can be added to any BRP game)..

I have a bad feeling about this: it sounds like the GM doesn't have much experience with the BRP game system, and isn't interested enough in the system to do even basic homework about how it works, and is making D&D style assumptions about how it works while wanting to throw hordes of big monsters D&D-style at the players rather than relying on subtler atmosphere to do the work.  It's not a complaint about D&D - that system is great for running a system off D&D's genre expectations - rather, it's my feeling that the GM doesn't have a very good handle on the differences between the genres or their respective game systems.  Furthermore, I can't imagine the group are all on the same page with this:  we've suggested about a dozen different ways to simulate "level 10" without even trying, and that's more than the GM has bothered to do; every member of the group could easily independently create characters each using a completely different and incompatible home-brewed method based on the minimal guidance the GM seems to have offered.  I hope I'm wrong, but from my safe distance, it looks like this might be a slow-motion train-wreck in progress.

I'm still inclined to say that either the GM is running off a mistaken idea of how the rules work, or the GM is using some system other than BRP (say, D20 or GURPS or something), and nobody bothered to tell the original poster.

Good luck, in any case!

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 30 October 2016 - 06:09 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#10 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:09 PM

I have a bad feeling about it too, Yronimos, which is why I suggested looking in big gold book for other point valuation systems--super-heroic being the one that came to mind, even though there is no link to it in Cthulhu Dark Ages.  I cannot think of any other way to translate developing your characters as "Level 10" for Call of Cthulhu purposes.  One thing that one can do that might equate would be to give the players an extra skill point budget.

#11 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:51 AM

And, for any casual observers who aren't very familiar with the default rules system (Basic Role-Playing or "BRP") used by Call of Cthulhu and Cthulhu: Dark Ages:

Spoiler

As Wombat hinted, "level 10" (or "level" anything) is an alien concept in BRP and in any Cthulhu: Dark Ages content I've ever heard of, and there's no real equivalent in the rules system for Cthulhu: Dark Ages for anything like a leveled-up D&D adventurer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Ages