#41 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Yes indeed!

I would need to go back and look at the photos of the various events, as I don't recall what we made. But happy to put together recipes if they are needed (wanted).

I can help there!  Listed comestibles from the Yoggie archive:

1 a secret lost to the mists of time, and better forgotten

2 Necronomicake, Cthulhu Cookies, Mythos Muffins

3 Rice Krispie Cakes of Ibn Ghazi

4 Turbulence Below Marble Cake, Mi-Go Brain Buns, and of course the Bake-Off Cthulhu Cakes

5 Kill the Cultist Cupcakes, Tasty Shoggoths

I'm still here, just horribly busy (and now I've actually seen this thread). Could you remind me of just how you'd like to see the notes converted/etc.?

To avoid any licensing issues, my suggestion would be to avoid any existing systems (unless you know a good straightforward open-licence one, in which case we might as well use that).  I was thinking maybe basically a 1d10 system (or 1d10/3d6 parallel) and just rate abilities 1-10, maybe with some keywords for RP and advantage/disadvantage purposes?  Then people can easily match it to their preferred system.  Better ideas are welcome!

#42 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,371 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Sounds like a neat idea!

I can also supply my sourdough pizza recipe for the book and "secrets of shoggoth sourdough success!" (if anyone would actually be interested in such) - though that may be going a little off-topic. ;-)

Pet Shoggoth

#43 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

I can also supply my sourdough pizza recipe for the book and "secrets of shoggoth sourdough success!" (if anyone would actually be interested in such) - though that may be going a little off-topic. ;-)

There are definite precedents: Richard Tucholka of Tri Tac Games publishes his Damn Strange Cookbook, while S. John Ross, who has stated that "...all of my RPG books include cooking and sex," has released details of his sourdough starter. No reason to separate gaming and food  :-D 

"I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty." - The Doctor

#44 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,371 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Will be part of a fine tradition, then! :-)

#45 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

To avoid any licensing issues, my suggestion would be to avoid any existing systems (unless you know a good straightforward open-licence one, in which case we might as well use that).

Have you ever seen the old Citybook range published by Flying Buffalo? They used their own framework for presenting the material, designed to allow it to be easily adapted to any RPG by not using any specific system. There's a similar idea in use by Peter Schweighofer for his Any-System Key material, which you can download freely to get an idea of what he's done. Perhaps he might allow others to publish in a compatible format? 

My other suggestion would be to use the Fudge RPG as a base. It employs a seven word ladder to rate abilities, making it very handy for adapting to and from other games. There are also existing tables and articles on converting to 3d6 and d100 systems, and the whole game is free anyway if anyone wanted to use the stats directly. Fudge has the other advantage of being available for use under the terms of the OGL.

"I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty." - The Doctor

#46 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

What about GORE: Generic Old-school Role-playing Engine which is derived from the System Reference Documents (SRDs) for Mongoose's RuneQuest and RuneQuest Companion? Simon Todd used it for The Fenworthy Inheritance and so it is Call of Cthulhu compatible.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#47 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for these suggestions!  I'll take a look and get back to you.

#48 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

Have you ever seen the old Citybook range published by Flying Buffalo? They used their own framework for presenting the material, designed to allow it to be easily adapted to any RPG by not using any specific system. There's a similar idea in use by Peter Schweighofer for his Any-System Key material, which you can download freely to get an idea of what he's done. Perhaps he might allow others to publish in a compatible format? 

Any-System looks like it would work very nicely.