47 replies to this topic

#1 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

After some discussion at Games Day V, myself and RogerBW are looking at the feasibility of compiling homebrew scenarios from previous Games Days.  Roger's run three of these himself.  The idea would be to get these together as a workable collection that Keepers can use, rather than aiming for the polish and comprehensiveness of a professional supplement.

As well as a nice memento, and its general usefulness, one of the advantages would be collecting a set of proven con scenarios which a Keeper can pull out when they need something for that 3-6 hour one-shot.

We're not yet exactly sure what can be done with a compilation. The most likely outcome would be a Patron download.  (There's much uncertainty over whether YSDC could ever be in a position to resume sales, and it would introduce complications in terms of using licensed systems; either way it's not for me to say.)  If this does somehow result in any money being raised, it would go to supporting YSDC rather than the authors.

For now I'd just like to see how feasible the idea is in principle.

What we don't know at present is whether any other Games Day Keepers would be interested in the idea, or have other suggestions.  Non-Keepers are welcome to join the discussion, of course.

#2 onewild

onewild

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:54 PM

Apart from Roger's, how many of them have being the creations of the keepers? I know the Fin game I played in was already published (Well about to be)

#3 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

I don't actually know - it's one of the things I'd like to find out.

#4 carnage_lee

carnage_lee

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:39 AM

This is an awesome idea; I hope it turns out to be a workable one.

Seeds of Doom - plot generator

@TheDholesHouse - news and updates

#5 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

I ran Night Floors this year, which is from Delta Green Countdown, though I modified it to bring it up to date for the new DG rules and set it in 2015, rather than 1996.

Last year I ran The Keepers in the Woods, which is a scenario I wrote. You can download it currently for free from Pelgrane Press' website (link in my sig - shameless plug!). The fact it is freely available works against making it Patron only access though... I could convert it for CoC 7e rules and put it up?

I'm currently working on a couple of other scenarios as well - one for DG and a Gaslight one for CoC 7e. These might be suitable for inclusion in a Keeper's compendium for Patrons.

Also, if you wanted to compile these into a PDF document and needed someone to do layout, I'd be OK to help out there.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

Would the scenarios remain statted for their original systems or are you thinking of something more uniform? I know that Roger generally writes his material for GURPS.
"I can't stand burnt toast. I loathe bus stations. Terrible places, full of lost luggage and lost souls... And then there's unrequited love. And tyranny. And cruelty." - The Doctor

#7 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

If you require the services of an editor, let me know.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#8 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the offers of help - I'll likely take you up on those if we can get this off the ground.

Would the scenarios remain statted for their original systems or are you thinking of something more uniform? I know that Roger generally writes his material for GURPS.

We discussed this a bit.  There's a few options partly depending on what the end goal is.

1. We could keep things in their original. 
  2. We could convert to one standard system, probably CoC because that's mostly how YSDC rolls, although Roger may disagree :)
  3. We could convert to an open system.
  4. We could present things as system-neutral.

1) has that authentic feel, avoids the work of conversion and maybe tempts people to try a different system - plus some scenarios may genuinely work better in a given system.  The downsides are being less useful for Keepers who don't want that, and potentially multiple licensing issues.

2) involves more work, but is elegant and fits the norms of supplements better.    There are possibly licensing issues, especially if money was involved, and I don't know much about this.  I'm not even sure what the limits might be on free scenarios using Chaosium material, and I believe there's at least one entity in at least one scenario that's specifically Chaosium's property.

3) involves more work, but probably avoids licensing issues.  Keepers would likely want to convert everything back to [favoured system] to actually run it, so it's a bit bodgy.  We're basically talking NPC/creature presentation here, I think, so putting something together myself is also an option - have a few capabilities on a rudimentary scale and it shouldn't be hard to convert as needed.

4) means the Keeper may need to do a lot of work to turn descriptions into stats, though in a lot of scenarios you don't need them for much except combat.

Last year I ran The Keepers in the Woods, which is a scenario I wrote. You can download it currently for free from Pelgrane Press' website (link in my sig - shameless plug!). The fact it is freely available works against making it Patron only access though... I could convert it for CoC 7e rules and put it up?

I'm currently working on a couple of other scenarios as well - one for DG and a Gaslight one for CoC 7e. These might be suitable for inclusion in a Keeper's compendium for Patrons.

(I already downloaded it :) ) arguably for completeness it could be included in the complication anyway, and as you say if we went for a standard ruleset then that would make sense.

I like the sound of that, although it might be best treated as a separate project.  I am always intrigued by Gaslight scenarios... not in Lincolnshire I suppose?

#9 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:24 AM

I like the sound of that, although it might be best treated as a separate project.  I am always intrigued by Gaslight scenarios... not in Lincolnshire I suppose?

Not in Lincolnshire, but set in the lead mining communities of Cumbria/County Durham around Nenthead and Killhope. 

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

#10 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:36 AM

Not in Lincolnshire, but set in the lead mining communities of Cumbria/County Durham around Nenthead and Killhope. 

Nice.  I'd be interested to see how that works out.

#11 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

It's going to have a Colour Out of Space interwoven with Invasion of the Body Snatchers theme, set in the remoteness of the Cumbrian moors.

Btw, I'd be interested to hear what you think of Keepers - always looking for feedback so I can improve my scenario writing.

#12 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

This sounds like an excellent idea! Would it be sold as a Yoggie exclusive? Or maybe a fundraiser is in order? I for one would pay good money to have a collection of Con scenarios at my fingertips.

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#13 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

This sounds like an excellent idea! Would it be sold as a Yoggie exclusive? Or maybe a fundraiser is in order? I for one would pay good money to have a collection of Con scenarios at my fingertips.

Selling was, last time I heard, difficult because of VATMOSS (see elsewhere).  A ransom-style fundraiser based on donations might theoretically work.  Of course, that depends on it being a viable project first.

Does anyone know who else has run scenarios at Games Day and might be prepared to get involved?  I know Marty sometimes does.

#14 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

Might be best to ping Marty a PM? If I remember correctly he was running The Hurricane from Pulp Cthulhu this year, and ran part of Shadows of Yog-Sothoth last year, but he may have run homebrew scenarios in previous years.

#15 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

I've been doing a bit of digging and as far as I can tell, this is the history of games run at YSDCGD.  Asterisks* indicate published scenarios as far as I'm aware.

YSDC Games Day V
*Freddie - Night Floors
Roger - Still Bennies
*Mike Mason - Pandora's Box
*Fin - Final Flight
*Marty - Waiting for the Hurricane

YSDC Games Day IV
*Fin - Ties that Bind
Roger - Truant Inkwell
*Freddie - The Keepers in the Woods
Steve D - 
Marty - 

YSDC Games Day III
Roger - And Ye Gave Me Meat
Paul - Crash & Burne: The Treader of Dust
Val -  
*Chris - The Code

YSDC Games Day II
*Fin - Bloodlines
*Paul - Machine Tractor Station Kharkov-37
Chris - The Whateleys
SteveD - Savage Worlds game involving Africa
Val - Mardi Gras game

YSDC Games Day I
*Paul - Nightmare in Norway
*Fin - Keys of Madness
*Neil - Silva Nigra
Val - Trumpton Riots (didn't run?)
Chris - The Whateleys (more of a setting than a scenario I think?)

It looks like the majority of scenarios have been published previously, but Roger's are homebrews, plus there's several games I can't identify so far.

Based on archive-digging and photos, I also vote that any proposed scenario book should also incorporate the recipes used at the con and prop-making tips!

Edited by Shimmin Beg, 27 October 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#16 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

Adding in the recipes is a great idea. Also, prop making tips would be a welcome addition.

#17 clackey

clackey

Breakfast Clubber

• YSDC Studio
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationKeighley, West Yorkshire UK

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

I know I ran a playtest of an adventure that is going to be in a Call of Cthulhu book, it's called 'The Code' and it's 7th edition for the 3rd games day. The Whateleys was a setting for Hillfolk / DramaSystem, and that is different every time you run it, as it depends on the characters that folks create. I ran that twice, for the first and second Games Days.

#18 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

I know I ran a playtest of an adventure that is going to be in a Call of Cthulhu book, it's called 'The Code' and it's 7th edition for the 3rd games day. The Whateleys was a setting for Hillfolk / DramaSystem, and that is different every time you run it, as it depends on the characters that folks create. I ran that twice, for the first and second Games Days.

Thanks Chris!  I'll have to keep an eye out for The Code.

#19 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,416 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Paul?? - Crash & Burne: The Treader of Dust

Yes, a high pulp scenario of my own devising. If I can dig it up, it could certainly go in. Next year (2017) will mark the fifth anniversary of YSDC Games Day so the publication might make a nice souvenir edition?

I like the idea of including recipes and prop making tips - perhaps even round it out with a few articles? :-)

I do recall my scenario featured a large pyramid...

Crash & Burne: The Treader of Dust - Pyramid

#20 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:59 PM

Yes, a high pulp scenario of my own devising. If I can dig it up, it could certainly go in. Next year (2017) will mark the fifth anniversary of YSDC Games Day so the publication might make a nice souvenir edition?

I like the idea of including recipes and prop making tips - perhaps even round it out with a few articles? :-)

I do recall my scenario featured a large pyramid...

Articles would be nice, if we have good ideas for what to include.  Suggestions welcome :)

As an initial idea, I'd suggest the compilation might look something like this:

-------------------------------

Introduction

YSDC Games Day I

A brief overview - date etc.

Games Run: a list of scenarios and Keepers, with references for published scenarios.  Players could be listed too if they'd like?  Perhaps indicate those games that were recorded for YSDC?

Custom Scenarios from Games Day I

From the Recipe Book

YSDC Handicrafts – prop-making tips

Photographs and Reminiscences?

(repeat for other Games Days)

Articles

Index

Closing Remarks (if any)

------------------------------------

How does that sound?