• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lordingrey

lordingrey

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

The story of Carteia intrigues me as a site for an Ancient adventure in middle republic, a few years after the influx of the 4000 resettled sons of Roman soldiers in the Phoenicean colony in Spain.  Between the defeat of Carthage and its final destruction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carteia

Imagine the cultural Romans (of mixed blood) as the "new Englanders" and the locals as the folk of Dunwich/Innsmouth.

Are there any good sources online or in books about Hispania during the Republican Period/Punic Wars, Roman provincial governance during this period (proconsul as governor etc.)?

Rob

#2 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

Keay, S.J., Roman Spain (Berkeley and Los Angeles: U. Calif. Press, 1988).  (isbn: 978-0520063808) is a not bad introductory volume.

Curchin, Leonard A., The Magistrates of Roman Spain (Toronto: U. Toronto Press, 1990) (isbn: 0802058418)  I have not seen this but it sems to cover the issue of governance.

The wikipedia article mentions Livy and that, plus Cassius Dio, were both very handy to have around when I ran my Invictus campaign back in the day.  One can get the Loeb classical translations by interlibrary loan, as they are rather expensive nowadays otherwise, and  both Livy and Cassius Dio run to multiple volumes.

Edited by wombat1, 09 October 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#3 lordingrey

lordingrey

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:28 AM

Thanks, I had wikipedia but not the others, first is on google books.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Invictus