41 replies to this topic

#41 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:46 AM

That looks like a great resource, especially for those short films!

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#42 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Resurrecting this thread again, for the ghoulish* 1968 Mexican sci-fi/horror film series that includes Alien Terror, which Yankee Classic Miskatonic University Lovecraftian Filmography describes as:

"[Alien Terror is] Believed by some to be based on The Whisperer in Darkness"

* Note:  Alien Terror was one of four ultra-low-budget Mexican horror films finished in 1971 using footage recorded by the ailing and agonized Boris Karloff in 1968 as a favor to the film-makers just before he died; the four films share the same directors, writers, producers, cast, crew, sets, effects, and Boris Karloff content, but don't have much else in common except for alleged ties to Lovecraft and Poe stories.

The complete film series and its alternate titles include:

• Invasión Siniestra (1968), AKA The Incredible Invasion (1971), Alien Terror, Sinister Invasion 
    (A professor and his helper must stop a killer, the byproduct of a sinister invasion triggered by the professor's experiments with an atomic ray.)
  • La Muerte Viviente (1968), AKA Snake People (1971), Island of the Snake People, Cult of the Dead, Isle of the Living Dead
    (An evil scientist and a sinister dwarf command a veritable army of LSD-crazed voodoo zombies.)
  • La cámara del Terror (1968), AKA Fear Chamber (1971), Chamber of Fear, The Torture Chamber, Torture Zone
    (A doctor finds a living rock and feeds it hormones from frightened young women.)
  • Serenata Macabra (1968), AKA Dance of Death (1971), Macabre Serenade, House of Evil
    (Relatives of a recently-deceased man meet at his eerie castle for a reading of the will, and encounter a piano-playing toy maker and his deadly dancing toys.)

I'm hoping that someone out there can help clarify the "believed by some to be based on Whisperer in Darkness" comment:  I finally got my hands on a copy of the film and I've just watched it, and the only possible connection I can think of is that they've both got aliens (alien fungi from Yuggoth on one hand, and some blond-haired-blue-dyed dufus in a metallic leisure suit with a flying saucer on the other, which could make E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial an even more faithful adaptation of Whisperer in Darkness...)  My best guess is that some author of a "Lovecraft Filmography" somewhere slipped that into their film list to catch plagiarists who might copy-and-paste the list without any original research?

In a similar vein, supposedly, Fear Chamber is based on a Lovecraft story, too, but I can't make any connection there, either.

Also, any insights on how Dance of Death from the same film series is based on Edgar Allan Poe would help me sleep a little better, because I don't understand that connection, either, and, unlike the Lovecraft comments, that writing credit seems to have come from the film-makers themselves. 

At a stretch, Snake People has some superficial similarities to Lovecraft's "Herbert West: Re-Animator" on paper, and that's the strongest resemblance i noticed, but as far as I know, I'm the only one to have made that leap - that's the closest I've been able to come to making a connection between any of these four films and either Lovecraft or Poe.

In short, I didn't think any of the four films were especially "Lovecraftian", and I have no idea where the original comparison came from or how it could be justified, so I've come to YSDC for help.  As always, the insights and wisdom of the members of this site are greatly appreciated!

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 29 March 2017 - 10:50 AM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film