7 replies to this topic

#1 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:40 PM

Well, I'm not sure what to say about this one, but I don't remember anyone else mentioning it yet:

Animated, "coming soon".  "After visiting his father in Arkham Sanitarium, young Howard Lovecraft accidentally uses the legendary Necronomicon to open a portal to a strange frozen world filled with horrifying creatures and a great adventure."

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#2 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

"I've got a bad feeling about this."  Indeed!

Edited by Tony Williams, 01 October 2016 - 04:48 PM.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#3 vsolfronk

vsolfronk

Master

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBirmingham

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

The Graphic novel is pretty good. Think of it as Lovecraft for younger fans. I haven't watched the movie yet.

No good deed goes unpunished...

#4 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA - In the cool, dark earthen floor. USA

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

Tons of reviews are coming in with a grossly disappointed majority. Even from a childish entertainment standpoint, I am reading that it falls down huge-ly. I'll not sully myself with a viewing. No, I will not.

'Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911, But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shyte out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get' . 

#5 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

I broke down and got it this week; I enjoyed the graphic novels.  I wasn't disappointed and they plan to do a sequel.  Of course, there was "supposed" to be a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai, but I digress.

There is a mini-flyer in the blu-ray case that promotes an Elder Sign pendant and a "Spot" plush doll.  I haven't been able to figure out if they are available yet though.

#6 vsolfronk

vsolfronk

Master

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBirmingham

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:33 PM

I have the Spot plush through their KS. A different and nice take on most Cthulhu items.

No good deed goes unpunished...

#7 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

I was given it for Xmas, as WH Smith is selling it off cheap.

"Hmmm..." about sums it up. The kids said that it was the oddest film they'd ever watched

#8 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

I might check it out on a slow day some day - I've never expected a five-star movie or anything, but neither the trailer nor the reviews I've seen have given me any good reasons to think it's anything worse than a mostly-harmless animation whose worst crimes are in being targeted toward a rather narrow and hard-to-please audience, and in not having the benefits of the budget and experience usually given to a more mainstream film of this sort.

It looks like the labor-of-love work of a well-intentioned fan who managed to get the support of professional fans who could afford to help give an amateur work a little extra push, with results that weren't great, but were kind of cute.  The IMDB page seems to suggest it's largely the project of one guy, with the help of a small animation studio, a couple friends, and a handful of well-known actors who surely couldn't have been paid much to lend their voices to a project that I suspect they supported more because it sounded like fun than because of the money. 

With that perspective, it seems to me like many of the amateur internet reviews I've seen for it seemed rather more mean-spirited than really necessary for something like this.

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 11 January 2017 - 08:41 PM.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Film