Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone still use Roll20 for Call of Cthulhu games?

CoC 1-6e CoC 7e Jazz Age Looking for Group Online

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pstjmack

pstjmack

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:25 AM

I notice that the last post here about Roll20 is dated 2014. Does anyone still use this platform for Call of Cthulhu campaigns? Or has any other platform superceded it?

"What nameless shapes may even now lurk in the dark places of the world?"

#2 BrianL

BrianL

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

I've used it a few times recently for shorter games and one-offs in Call of Cthulhu and it works fine. I don't think it's been superseded as such, but for Call of Cthulhu I also don't think it's strictly necessary unless you're reliant on maps and other features where you need to be able to show characters' physical locations.

Others on here will know better, but I get the sense from listening to the guys in the Skype of Cthulhu podcast that they only use Skype, and handouts etc are pasted into a Google Docs document to which they all have access.

Roll20 has the dice roller of course but again I don't think that would be necessary if players are trusted to report their rolls accurately! One thing I did use recently in running one of the Monophobia scenarios for one player was to use the media player in Roll20 to pipe in some suitably ominous music. That seemed to work quite well!
Omnia exeunt in mysterium. | G+

#3 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

I'm running games with it. As Brian says, the dice roller is one of key, though not strictly necessary, features. Since I prefer playing with camera, using Roll20 works as well as just about any other basic interface, so I may as well take advantage of some of the additional features. I do like the embedded character sheets, both for keeping track of things and being able to roll directly from the sheet. I don't use maps at all, though I do give each player a token for a quick visual on status.

Christopher Smith Adair
Freelance Copyeditor & RPG Writer
csmithadair.com

#4 pstjmack

pstjmack

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Would be glad to sign up to any campaign or standalone game that's running on Roll20 - whether Jazz Age, DG or Cthulhu Now, 6e or 7e

"What nameless shapes may even now lurk in the dark places of the world?"

#5 gladius

gladius

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:32 PM

Others on here will know better, but I get the sense from listening to the guys in the Skype of Cthulhu podcast that they only use Skype, and handouts etc are pasted into a Google Docs document to which they all have access.

That's correct, we just use a shared google doc and rarely need to know exactly where our characters are standing. Jim pastes images into it and we, the players, keep notes. The current version of our doc for the Achtung "Atlantis" game is over 65 pages long :) but it's nice to be able to keep track of everything in one place.

#6 BrianL

BrianL

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:37 PM

That's correct, we just use a shared google doc and rarely need to know exactly where our characters are standing. Jim pastes images into it and we, the players, keep notes. The current version of our doc for the Achtung "Atlantis" game is over 65 pages long :) but it's nice to be able to keep track of everything in one place.

Thanks for the confirmation! It certainly sounds like a simple and effective way to deal with notes and handouts online. Plus, I guess searching in the doc is quite easy - even at 65 pages! That's what handwritten notes lack - a "find" facility! :)

Omnia exeunt in mysterium. | G+

#7 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:03 AM

We've been running BtMoM with Trail of Cthulhu on Roll20. It's nice for maps, and the occasional token etc. But on the whole it's not nearly as necessary as it is with other games.

Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#8 nonhumanuser

nonhumanuser

Master

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

I use a combo of Roll20 and Mumble, Mumble just so that I can easily record the sessions, and Roll20 is great for showing images, maps, sounds and keeping your notes and player handouts organized.

The biggest plus in my opinion is that it allows you to attach your players to a specific game and gives you a message board for that game. It makes it easy to communicate between sessions. It also gives you character sheets which help for new players when you need to create them a character. The character sheet allows you to click to roll skills so it makes it very easy get new players up to speed. 

There are many other features which I either don't know about or don't use but all in all it is a great way to organize an online game. I agree though that it is not necessary for CoC as we tend to spend long periods without interacting with Roll20, just role playing the scene, but the ability to quickly pop an image of something to one character and have them go "Oh crap that is freaky" and everyone else is going "what is it what are you seeing" is just priceless.

#9 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'm in a bi-weekly Time to Harvest campaign and I'm contemplating starting my own on another day. I've also run a one shot. Love roll20. The 7E character sheets handle the bonus/penalty dice and hard/extreme success. It gives the campaign a central location. I did a lot of prep for the one shot I ran and had separate "pages" for each scene. Sometimes it was a map, but just as often it had pictures of the location and handouts. Never really had any problems with the built in A/V--they just upgraded it so we'll see what the new one brings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e, CoC 7e, Jazz Age, Looking for Group, Online