Delta Green

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jsirhc

Jsirhc

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:40 AM

Hello. I'm relatively new to Delta Green, and was wondering if anyone could explain to me what N-Space is. Any info is appreciated.

#2 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:04 AM

Do you have a copy of Eyes Only?

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#3 Jsirhc

Jsirhc

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:36 AM

No. Thanks for the link! I plan on trying to get my hands on an affordable softcover, but wanted a general idea of what N-space was...

Edited by Jsirhc, 22 September 2016 - 04:48 AM.

#4 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

The part where it's described is pretty dense, but I think it describes N-Space is another extradimensional realm accessed by turning a Tillinghast Device to even higher vibrational frequencies. Time in N-space is perpendicular to time in our reality, and things from our reality that get sent into that space attract each other, allowing a form of time travel through it.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#5 Jsirhc

Jsirhc

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

Is it inhabited by bizarre beings and creatures?

Edited by Jsirhc, 22 September 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#6 Graeme_P

Graeme_P

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

You betcha.

#7 Deodanth

Deodanth

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

As I understand... it is also inhabited by the good ship USS Eldridge (or some version thereof) and a number of her hapless crew.  This being a large-ish object from Earth's vicinity, as TDK has explained above, other Earth visitors to N-space would probably find themselves interacting with the ship.  Some have proposed that the magnetic/temporal anomaly of December 2012 (remember that?) was an an ideal "window" to explore N-space, and even mount a temporal rescue mission back to the Eldridge.

#8 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

N-Space is the same "place" as The Golden Dawn's Astral Plane.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#9 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

...And the Astral Plane can be thought of as, essentially, another face for the Dreamlands (and the Dreamlands can also fairly be descried as an "extra-dimensional realm", a "temporal anomaly" allowing for a sort of travel through time and space, a "window" into an alternative space or reality, etc....)

There is, perhaps, more than one reason why Area 51 is sometimes referred to as "Dreamland"....

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#10 Jsirhc

Jsirhc

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:07 AM

...And the Astral Plane can be thought of as, essentially, another face for the Dreamlands (and the Dreamlands can also fairly be descried as an "extra-dimensional realm", a "temporal anomaly" allowing for a sort of travel through time and space, a "window" into an alternative space or reality, etc....)

There is, perhaps, more than one reason why Area 51 is sometimes referred to as "Dreamland"....

Are the creatures that dwell there like the things in Lovecraft's "From Beyond" or more varied beings?

#11 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:33 AM

Are the creatures that dwell there like the things in Lovecraft's "From Beyond" or more varied beings?

Both, neither, it's up to you. 

#12 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:36 AM

In the 1600s, a man named Antonie van Leeuwenhoek found that, by grinding and shaping lenses with increasing sensitivity, he was able to get a close-up view of the tiniest mites visible to the human eye, and then perceive tinier creatures still that were not visible to the human eye, and then smaller creatures still, until everywhere he turned his lenses, Leeuwenhoek discovered unsuspected new and alien jungles of life of inconceivable variety teeming, swarming, creeping, squirming, flourishing in every tiny drop of water, on every surface, on our bodies and in our bodies and in our food and everywhere around us, living on, in, through, and out of everything on and in and below and around the surface of the Earth, and floating in the air around the Earth.

The Tillinghast Resonator from "From Beyond" was simply one of the first, crude lenses onto the tiniest portion of still another hidden, unsuspected world, the world of N-Space, unbounded by and co-terminous with all space and time, and teeming with a nightmare multitude of astral projections of dreaming living intellects similarly unbounded by space and time, not just from the 20th-21st Century Earth around us, but from all times and all worlds simultaneously, protean in forms shaped by their own dreams and the dreams of those around them, some monstrous in their familiarity and similarity to the living things and the myths and religions and dreams and nightmares with know, and many others monstrous by their sheer alien dissimilarity to anything any given observer might ever have known or heard of or dreamed.  One of the few sources of relief such horror might have going for it is the fact that so much of the life we might see moving on, in, through, and around the spaces we know and the spaces between the spaces that are all N-Space is the fact that much of what we are seeing is unconscious and helpless in dream.

Occultists like Aleister Crowley believed and believe that such an "astral realm" are crowded with living, dreaming consciousnesses of an unbelievable variety from countless worlds and times around us, a variety that includes the astral forms of alien beings, the ghosts of the dead, the souls of the yet unborn, never-born things native to the astral plane, gods and angels and demons and mythological monsters of all sorts... many indifferent to us, some helpful to us for mysterious reasons of their own, some hostile and malevolent and insanely jealous of the physical life that human dreamers enjoy, and when the human imagination wanders from its body to project itself into the astral world, a host of disembodied horrors and saints and devils from the astral world crowd about the dreamer's sleeping body, looking for some weakness in its armor to squirm through so that those things can "walk in" to human lives and indulge themselves or work terrible mischiefs or perform great miracles and master works of alchemy and sorcery in this world, and are thus all the strangest and most powerful wizards and monsters and holy men of mythology and religion and legend and more.

The creatures that dwell in the astral dreamland of N-Space are as varied as you need them to be to tell your story, according to the Rule of Cool and the Rule of Scary!

The short, concise, and right-on-target answer is exactly what The_Tatterdemalion_King said....

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#13 Jsirhc

Jsirhc

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the clarification and detailed responses! The upcoming Delta Green Core Book is supposed to have extensive rules for monster, artifact, etc. creation, and I plan on using it to design a plethora of entities and creatures...

Edited by Jsirhc, 30 September 2016 - 04:04 AM.

#14 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

You're quite welcome.

I just make this stuff up as I go along (it's fun for me), based partly on Lovecraft's fiction and the little I know about Delta Green (I backed the recent Kickstarter, and that's my only real experience with the setting).  So, I'm hardly an authority on the setting, and nothing I invent is meant to be "canon", and my version might vary wildly from what the creators of N-Space had in mind. 

Use what appeals to you, toss out what doesn't, feel free to substitute as much of your own version as you like and spin it the way that seems right to you.  You might have a favorite horror or science fiction story that did something in a creepy alternate dimension that you prefer (the recent Netflix series Stranger Things, and films such as the Phantasm series and Event Horizon all involve people, creatures, and other things who enter places that might be described as "N-Space", for example).  Also, using imagery from your own dreams and nightmares is always a nice touch.

Feel free to share your modifications and original creations here, I always enjoy seeing each author's personal spin on people, places, creatures, objects, and ideas such as "N-Space" and what it contains.

Edited by yronimoswhateley, 30 September 2016 - 05:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Delta Green