Photo
- - - - -

Nodens (huh!) what is it good for.................?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Celebrim

Celebrim

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

In my secret Lore, Nodens is actually one of the oldest beings in the Universe - the sorcerer supreme of this universe, one of the last surviving members of the first sentient race of independent beings to arise from the primordial soup billions of years ago.  He's now god-like in power, and while he's not exactly evil, neither is he exactly sane. 

The Great Race of Yith would warn humanity against Nodens if they could.   They know Nodens has a plan.   They were almost victimized by it.

Nodens detests the universe.  He believes that the universe is an abomination with no right to exist.  But he also knows that there is basically nothing he can do against Azathoth, Yog-Sothoth, or Nyarlathotep.  They are the legitimate gods of this illegitimate universe and vastly exceed him in power, or are at the very least immortal and inherently bound to the reality of this universe and it to them.

There is only one thing to do.  Get another universe.   It should only take a few Trillion POW.

As such Nodens continually schemes to nurture the independent races which arise until they number in the billions upon billions.  At that point, he sacrifices the entire world, reaping its POW and storing it for himself.  The trick is then to harvest the crop before Nyarlathotep can blight it.   Most of the time Nyarlathotep wins this game, and the harvest is lost in an orgy of madness.  Occasionally, Nodens wins and stores up great power.  Only a few score more sentient species, and he should be able to exit this universe once and for all, and make a new more verdant, more just, and less cruel universe in his own image.  Or so he believes.

#22 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Very elegant, Celebrim.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#23 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

SPOILERS!

I believe the Delta Green setting is planning to do something with him in an upcoming book. IIRC Agents of the DG conspiracy who are unable to function in normal duty but can't go back to their normal lives turn to Nodens and the Dreamlands to continue the good fight against the Mythos. Worth noting though that this group is described as a major antagonist... You could probably strip the DG setting out and have his cult be damaged scholars and the like who were exposed to the Mythos.

I'm hoping it will be covered in the new book out sometime this year-early 2017, but don't know for sure.

You can listen to a game at Roleplaying Public Radio featuring these antagonists in "The Enemy of My Enemy."

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao