15 replies to this topic

#1 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

Fenworthy Hammer Horror—a review of The Fenworthy Inheritance, a Hammer Horror style one-shot scenario with Lovecraftian undertones published by MontiDots Ltd. for use with Goblinoid Games’ free to use GORE™ Open Game Content Rules that is not incompatible with Call of Cthulhu, Sixth Edition.

http://rlyehreviews....mer-horror.html

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#2 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 02:25 AM

Hammer-style horror: Yes!

No website to look at perhaps ordering: Sigh.

Here's hoping MontiDots Ltd. at least gets this up on DriveThruRPG.

#3 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

I did include details of how to contact the author at the bottom of the review.

Best that I could do at this point.

#4 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Nothing wrong with your review. Just hoping MontiDots Ltd. does a bit more to make this more available than a supplement from say 1983.

#5 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

An enjoyable review and the scenario does sound very interesting. I do hope the author does well enough to consider establishing themselves on DriveThru RPG.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#6 Judgetrev

Judgetrev

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

The review mentions that it was written for Goblinoid Games GORE rules. It might have been better written for Goblinoid's Cryptworld rules. Based on the Chill RPG from Pacesetter Games, Cryptworld is more like Hammer Horror than Call of Cthulhu.

#7 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:10 AM

I dropped them a line and asked about getting it on DriveThruRPG, especially for those outside of the UK who are interested.  They sounded intrigued. I'd suggest other interested parties also drop them a line so they know there is the interest.

#8 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

Indie Press Revolution (http://www.indiepres...tion.com/xcart/) might be another one to hook them up with.

#9 Chitin

Chitin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMuskegon, MI

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

http://www.rpgnow.co...thy-Inheritance

#10 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

The review mentions that it was written for Goblinoid Games GORE rules. It might have been better written for Goblinoid's Cryptworld rules. Based on the Chill RPG from Pacesetter Games, Cryptworld is more like Hammer Horror than Call of Cthulhu.

That is quite possibly true, but the likelihood is that if it had been written for use with Cryptworld—which I have reviewed here—then I would not have posted my review here. The similarities between Call of Cthulhu and the GORE™ Open Game Content Rules, plus the content of the scenario itself, were reasons strong enough for me to do so. Which means that The Fenworthy Inheritance may not have come to your attention.

#11 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

I  purchased a copy of it and read it and I agree with Pookie that it is a good scenario that could be converted for Call of Cthulhu.  I also see what he means about the suggestions for follow up adventures.

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#12 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:26 PM

I  purchased a copy of it and read it and I agree with Pookie that it is a good scenario that could be converted for Call of Cthulhu.  I also see what he means about the suggestions for follow up adventures.

I believe the author is already working on a sequel.  Is the need of a follow-up such that it is not a good purchase now and instead should be postponed until the publication of the sequel?

#13 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

Does this mean you feel TFI is incomplete/missing a final chapter? Or does it mean that you're eager to see further development of the line that started with TFI?

#14 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:37 PM

I believe the author is already working on a sequel.  Is the need of a follow-up such that it is not a good purchase now and instead should be postponed until the publication of the sequel?

At this point the sequel has not been published, so not being able to see the two together, it is difficult to conclusively answer one way or the other. As written though, The Fenworthy Inheritance is is self-contained and you can run it without ever having the need  to run a sequel.

Does this mean you feel TFI is incomplete/missing a final chapter? Or does it mean that you're eager to see further development of the line that started with TFI?

Obviously Graham will have to answer this point for himself, but from having read and reviewed the scenario I can report that it is not incomplete and that fundamentally, there is nothing missing from its pages. Personally, I would not mind seeing a sequel.

#15 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:04 AM

At this point the sequel has not been published, so not being able to see the two together, it is difficult to conclusively answer one way or the other. As written though, The Fenworthy Inheritance is is self-contained and you can run it without ever having the need  to run a sequel.

Obviously Graham will have to answer this point for himself, but from having read and reviewed the scenario I can report that it is not incomplete and that fundamentally, there is nothing missing from its pages. Personally, I would not mind seeing a sequel.

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to the end of my annual September chaos to take a look at this.

#16 Montidots

Montidots

Initiate

• 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thank you everyone for you interest and kind words.

We are now up and running on DriveThruRPG and aim to be on Indie Press Revolution some time this week.

I will be delighted to answer any of your questions. The Fenworthy Inheritance, started life as an ad lib game I played with friends at Gary Con 3 years ago. It  used the Old School D&D rules, and I turned it into our first publishable adventure Bad Day At Blackmarsh. If anyone is interested in this, please let me know. It is very much a tale of two halves, solving the murder of a girl and the evil plot in Blackmarsh, and a sizeable dungeon in the form of a disused copper mine. 

I immediately saw the potential to rewrite the whole thing as a 20th Century Cthulhu game but initially could not find an open game license for Chaosium products, until Michael Curtis mentioned Goblinoid Games and the GORE system, which is still free to download. It did everything I wanted, but had omitted the sanity point system. 

I consciously tried to avoid Cthulhu, but of course this is impossible. From the outset there was an ancient, somewhat mindless elemental god, Arlor in the Blackmarsh game, Urulia in Fenworthy, and the Arataxus Bug had the equivalent in the Arlorian Gargoyles. I therefore embraced the premise.

Apart from this, itself really exists and if you look it up will find many genuine locations ripe for a supernatural thriller. Some of the newpaper handouts are also genuine apart from some name changes, especially the one to do with the strange sound, that originates from the Fenworthy area in reality.

As for sequels.  Yes they are planned in as far as an idea of locations. Fenworthy is designed to introduce new investigators, thus most of the pregenerated characters, have life history but little or no knowledge of the occult. If you notice, my stability system actually allows for characters to potentially gain in their stability, hopefully resulting in a game where players don't count the time before their character ends up in a padded cell muttering about fluting spiders. From there the sequels can go in two or three directions, and in the fullness of time I will endeavour to write them all. a) Istanbul. The origin of Lydia Malas, wife of William Rasthorne. Where the Zevians are plotting to awaken the Titans...end of world stuff. b) The British Museum. The artefacts in Gerald Hadwick's study came from somewhere and left unattended will end up in the wrong hands. These unexploded bombs of delight need rescuing....c) Honduras and the City of the Monkey King. Time to shake hands with the earth god of war and dispair....the Smoking Mirror, Tezcatlipoca. 

I am into a 6 month write of a new rpg called The End of Kings set in the 17th century. This monster is being shelved for the time being to get The Smoking Mirror written. Started two days ago and already filled with blood, intrigue, pea soup nights in London and a sinister ring of occult networks vying for possession of the new museum artefacts.

I hope this covers everything. It will all take time so be patient and I will keep you all posted on the blog:

https://bluefairydes....wordpress.com/

and Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/eusabyus/

Let me know what you think. I'll be happy to answer any questions...and take any advice!

Si Todd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 1-6e, Jazz Age, Review