29 replies to this topic

#1 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:33 AM

The (IMHO excellent) audio drama adaptions created by the HPLHS don't seem to get a lot of publicity here on YSDC, but I recently noticed a pre-release announcement of a title that may be of particular interest to Call of Cthulhu gamers (and prop collectors).

While the dozen or so "Dark Adventures Radio Theatre" discs made to date have drawn mostly from HPL's fiction directly, the upcoming title "Brotherhood of the Beast" would seem to be an audio adaption of a Chaosium Call of Cthulhu campaign -- namely Keith Herber's globe spanning campaign of the same name (also published under the titles  "Fungi from Yuggoth" and "Day of the Beast". This dramatic audio adaption has been with Chaosium's permission.

Here's the text of the product description:

"The Brotherhood calls forth their gods and they answer. Mankind is
given the choice to join them, or perish."

Dark Adventure Radio Theatre: The Brotherhood of the Beast is an epic tale of globe-trotting adventure inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, presented as a 1930s-style radio drama. Dark Adventure Radio Theatre presents the tale with our largest cast of professional actors, exciting sound effects and thrilling original music by Troy Sterling Nies. Click for more information about our other Lovecraft stories in the Dark Adventure Radio Theatre series. They're like movies you can enjoy with your eyes closed.

Like many Lovecraft fans, we played Chaosium's celebrated role playing game Call of Cthulhu®. Now, with the permission of Chaosium, we've adapted one of their most thrilling game supplements — Keith Herber's The Fungi From Yuggoth — into a fully dramatized 3 disc super episode of Dark Adventure Radio Theatre.

A consultation in a Boston child-murder case leads Professor Nathaniel Ward and his adventurous colleague Charlie Tower into an investigation of a group called The Brotherhood of the Beast. They follow a trail which takes them across the world as they struggle valiantly to thwart the plans of a doomsday cult insidiously plotting the demise of mankind. Can the Brotherhood be stopped, or has an ancient prophecy accurately foretold the end of days?

The Brotherhood of the Beast is an epic adventure, filling three CDs (nearly four hours!). Inspired by the game upon which it is based, this episode features four different endings! Follow the plan of your favorite character first, and then see how the others work out. All endings are included with all versions of the show. Like all Dark Adventure episodes, the CD version includes collection of props to enhance your listening experience. They include:

• an article from the Boston Globe about the child murders

• a very strange horoscope

• an urgent telegram from Budapest

• a brochure for a factory tour of a very strange facility

• a photograph of a very special Ancient Egyptian papyrus (for pre-order customers only)

For more info on the upcoming title, check out this page ... of particular interest to me is that there is a Deluxe version planned which adds a mountain of awesome-looking props, all neatly bundled up into a vintage satchel. Yes, really!

Dean (from Adelaide) -- happy HPLHS customer, nothing more :)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

The (IMHO excellent) audio drama adaptions created by the HPLHS don't seem to get a lot of publicity here on YSDC, but I recently noticed a pre-release announcement of a title that may be of particular interest to Call of Cthulhu gamers (and prop collectors).

I guess you don't visit the Front Page of YSDC that much... ;-)

hplhs-brotherhood-of-the-beast-ysdc-front-page-news-item.jpg

I also talked about it in the first entry of Table 7.

It looks fantastic. It will be really interesting to see how their first foray into RPG campaign adaptation pans out.

#3 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:56 PM

I guess you don't visit the Front Page of YSDC that much... ;-)

Err, yes, well apparently so. Oh well, I am only too happy to have been gazumped in this particular announcement ... although I do still find it weird that the DART audios get very little discussion on the actual YSDC forums. Surely I can't be the only person who loves them to bits :)

Dean (hoping to sign up for a Deluxe package of "Brotherhood of the Beast" goodness when October rolls around)

#4 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Yes, the DART stuff is fantastic. I have to pick up their latest releases in Portland in a few weeks. Actually, I'm disappointed that many of the COC licensees are barely active on YSDC. Golden Goblin is a good example- excellent products, their website hasn't been updated for more than a year. I suppose most of the activity is on facebook. I just don't have time to check multiple portals every day for all the companies I like to follow. Just wish they would realize they have a captured audience here.

M

#5 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

For those who have been eagerly awaiting this new (and prop-tastic) release from the HPLHS, it has now been released!

International shipping for the Deluxe edition (which includes six pounds of props) is a bit ugly, but otherwise it looks like an amazing release. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the HPLHS guys do with adapting an RPG campaign to audio.

Dean (from Adelaide)

#6 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Here's the promo video for DART: The Brotherhood of the Beast...

#7 Judgetrev

Judgetrev

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

This is the first ever thing I have ordered from HPLHS. I have been tempted to try the audio dramas before... But the fact that it is a Call of Cthulhu adventure clinched it for me. That bag didn't hurt either.

#8 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:19 PM

From a UK perspective it's worth noting that the "Deluxe Edition" (with 6 lbs of props) costs £156 with a further £59 in shipping (total c. £216  + any import taxes).

#9 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

Preordered the deluxe edition, quite excited to get my grubbed pseudopods on it.

There are three different editions of Fungi from Yuggoth, no? Which one Is it based on?
Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

The video would seem to suggest it's based on the first edition release (1984), but until someone listens and compares we won't know for sure. ;-)

#11 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:24 PM

It really is an altogether odd series of releases. Let me see if I get this right: The campaign is called Brotherhood of the Beast, and was released in the Fungi From Yuggoth book, which was then revised and re-released in Day of the Beast and later revised and re-released in Curse of Cthulhu?  :?

Also, might I add, I really hope that this works out well for them and they chose to convert more campaigns!

Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#12 Dr_Zarnak

Dr_Zarnak

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:58 AM

Curse of Cthulhu, released in 1990, was just a reprint. Day of the Beast came out a few years later, and expanded the campaign with three new adventures.

I'm hoping they tackle Masks of Nyarlathotep next, and also offer a deluxe edition so we get the handouts we should have gotten from a certain failed Kickstarter.

#13 Galbraith

Galbraith

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:11 AM

Is there any easy way to acquire this supplement these days, in any of its editions, as a PDF?

#14 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:00 PM

Queued up on my "To Listen" list.

dart-brotherhood-beast-audio-files.jpg

#15 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

Is there any easy way to acquire this supplement these days, in any of its editions, as a PDF?

I think the short answer to this is ... "sadly, no". Although it has been published several times (most recently in 1998), the campaign has never been released in PDF form by Chaosium.

If you speak German, though, you can get the translation in PDF. (search for "die bestie" on DrivethruRPG -- it's split over three books) :)

Dean

#16 gladius

gladius

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Waiting for the CDs to arrive...got a note that they were supposed to ship last Tuesday...This was the first full campaign that I ran to conclusion as a Keeper, so I hold it dear in my twisted, black heart. Eager to see what HPLHS did with it.

#17 Danial

Danial

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

I've got it sitting in my cart. I've never read the source material either, so I'd love to read a review or such from anyone who has.

#18 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

RPG Geek have a short review:

https://rpggeek.com/...review-spoilers

Hope it helps.

#19 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

I've been very impressed with all their adventures thus far, but the latest batch have been a step above to me, and I hope we have more Tie-ins with published scenarios in the future!

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#20 csmithadair

csmithadair

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

It really is an altogether odd series of releases. Let me see if I get this right: The campaign is called Brotherhood of the Beast, and was released in the Fungi From Yuggoth book, which was then revised and re-released in Day of the Beast and later revised and re-released in Curse of Cthulhu?  :?

Also, might I add, I really hope that this works out well for them and they chose to convert more campaigns!

CURSE OF CTHULHU was the next appearance, and it included two additional prequel scenarios, one of which had previously appeared in DIFFERENT WORLDS magazine. DAY OF THE BEAST came out later, with three brand new scenarios and without the two additional ones from CURSE OF CTHULHU.

Christopher Smith Adair
Freelance Copyeditor & RPG Writer
csmithadair.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Audio