#1 AndyC70

AndyC70

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:36 AM

Hi,

I wonder if anyone is able to help me out, I recently came across a couple of issues of Dagon Magazine that someone had scanned had posted online. They were a great read and looking for others I managed to track down the scanner (who called himself Cosmic Jukebox) , but learnt that unfortunately only 2 had ever been made, issues #11 & #25.  I know that the magazine had a very low production run and was actually a non-profit venture. I searched ebay etc. and they do seem like gold dust. I saw 1 used copy for sale for £40.

So my question is, does anyone have any copies that they are willing to scan and share for the community? I am quite happy to build the PDFs from scans or even scan them if you would trust me with your copies (which will be very well cared for and returned immediately). It would be nice if they could find a wider audience, I'm sure more people would want to read them now than back in the day.

Also, I've tried to contact Carl T Ford the editor/owner to ask his permission, but without luck so far, so if anyone knows him please could you mention it this message. If he wants to make them available digitally for sale again I can probably help out with that too. OBS would be an obvious choice because of the gaming content.

Many thanks, Andrew 

P.S. Please let me know if I've posted this message in the wrong place,  was a little unsure where it should go.

#2 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:58 AM

Dagon is the Intellectual property of Carl Ford. You cannot scan and distribute it, privately or publicly, without his permission.

My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#3 AndyC70

AndyC70

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:05 AM

Yes, I was hoping to contact him. If you know him, please could you ask him if he would consider making them available digitally. 

#4 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:19 AM

I've actually tried a few years ago (found a possible lead on Facebook) but he did not respond. Perhaps you might see if anyone else in YSDC had a lead?

(I've managed to squirrel away a grand total of 3 issues and I'm a collector. ;) )
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#5 AndyC70

AndyC70

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:39 AM

I've actually tried a few years ago (found a possible lead on Facebook) but he did not respond. Perhaps you might see if anyone else in YSDC had a lead?

(I've managed to squirrel away a grand total of 3 issues and I'm a collector. ;) )

Cool, I'll keep trying. Carl T Ford seems to be is a really hard person to track down. I guess he would be in his 50's or even older by now... it was my worry that he may have even passed away. I saw there was an interview with him in back 2010 and that there was going to be a special edition of the magazine produced, but then things went quiet.

It would be nice if people could still get hold of it electronically.

#6 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,405 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:57 AM

As of writing Carl Ford is still alive.

There have been several enquires made to Carl over the years about making DAGON magazine available again. The answer is no due to the many copyright hurdles that would need to be overcome from all the individual contributors from 30+ years ago. (A similar reason why you don't see old White Dwarf or Owl & Weasel magazines reprinted).

Carl's current web site is: http://unrated.co.uk/

Copies (or even large runs) of DAGON do appear on places like eBay from time to time, but it can take years to track them down - I'm still missing one.

A digital version of DAGON #1 is available here on YSDC (which I created with Carl's permission as he produced it all himself).

DAGON Magazine 1st issue
Last Updated 11 Dec 2013 12:26 PM

#7 jasonw1239

jasonw1239

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB Canada

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

If I recall properly there was one vendor at NecronomiCon 2015 in Providence that had several large boxes of Dagon magazines available.

You may be able to round up physical issues at any number of the Lovecraft festivals. Perhaps NecronomiCon 2017 in Providence Rhode Island.

Jason Williams

Author of Secrets of Tibet & scenario author in Tales of the Caribbean from GGP

#8 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,405 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

Carl also sells off various copies of DAGON from time to time via his eBay account.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fussygerbil

#9 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

Carl also sells off various copies of DAGON from time to time via his eBay account.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fussygerbil

Yes, I bought a few copies from him in recent years. Nice as new condition.

#10 beasterbrook

beasterbrook

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:33 PM

Carl can easily bee found in this facebook group..

"Friends of Dagon Press, publisher of Dagon magazine"

#11 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

I've been looking for a long time, and I'm still missing more than I have found.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Collector, Buy, CoC 1-6e, Pulp, Publisher