CoC 7e Convention Podcast

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FatBuddha

FatBuddha

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

Here's a link to the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu Gen Con Panel I recorded from last night (Aug 5th) for those who couldn't go.

Mike Mason, Sandy Petersen, Jeff Richards, Paul Fricker, and Lynn Hardy talk about new plans for the Cthulhu line and share some juicy new details. The youtube description contains a breakdown of topics and timestamps. Biggest news is a new campaign from Lynn Hardy, new Pulp Cthulhu campaign from Paul Fricker, new collection of scenarios from Sandy Petersen, and remarks about quality and production from all Cthulhu products down the road. Exciting stuff!

Audio version here: http://outofspacegam...ulhu-panel.html

(Mods feel free to move this to the appropriate section. Also unsure how to embed video if that is possible).

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,413 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for posting this. Highly interesting!

#3 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:04 AM

This was a great deal of fun to watch, I'm glad to have things to look forward to!

D.

#4 Dr_Zarnak

Dr_Zarnak

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

Very interesting, but it would've been nice to hear something about the Lovecraft Country line.

#5 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

I heard almost exactly what I wanted to hear. Short scenarios for newcomers is exactly what the game needs. I think I see a question about short beginner stuff almost every week on reddit or rpgnet. All new stuff. Not just reprinting the old with new stat blocks. Color production. Great stuff.

I also appreciated the comments about other supplements in the pipeline being pulled back because it seemed like the followup has been a little anemic. 

#6 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:54 AM

I would be interested in hearing what the plan is with regards to older material. This game has such a history, but everything is out of print right now (including the rule books!). Is it the plan to bring back the best of the older material bit by bit, or is the focus on new material from here on out?
Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#7 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

I suspect (from what was said in the panel) that certain older material might be reworked with new art and layout and released in hardback. So I think we can expect (besides the new Central Asia campaign) some of the other campaigns to be spruced up and some of the anthologies (collections of scenarios rather than campaigns) cleaned up with new layout and art.

If MM is reading some of the threads here about what we wanted to see he'll have plenty of ideas, Lovecraft County, Arkham and the other New England city/region books would be nice.

#8 Mankcam

Mankcam

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

Some great times ahead here, and I love the production quality of the resources that are coming our way.

I can't wait for the 1930s Pulp Cthulhu campaign, and the 1920s South East Asian campaign sounds excellent as well. These kind of campaigns are quite attractive for my troupe.

I would personally also love to see Gaslight Era rejiggered as a game line before Dark Ages, but that's just me.

Same goes for Dreamlands - I think it's great weird fantasy, but I wouldn't want it to take too much time away from the iconic 1920s/1930s era investigations.

I think I will use the Pulp rules for the global-spanning adventure campaigns, and use the more purist approach for horror one-shots or Lovecraft Country investigation scenarios.

It would be good to see Lovecraft Country settings back in print.

However all in all this Gen Con presentation was great, there are definitely good times ahead for us!

Edited by Mankcam, 10 August 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#9 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:19 PM

I'm less interested in old campaigns (or supplements) being given the hardback & color treatment than I am about them getting the deluxe boxed set treatment - that is what I'd pay money for. MoN all but begs for this, probably with a minimum of revision (as opposed to addition), while campaigns like BoB or SOYS have lots and lots of potential but often seem to end up heavily modified by Keepers to "make them work" and could almost certainly benefit from a complete revision that saves the campaign(s).

Alternately, just coming up with a whole new campaign that uses the Silver Twilight since that seems to be one of the primary things that draws people to SOYS.

D.

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,413 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

Another vote here for boxed sets, like Sandy mentions in the video. Yes I know they're not cheap (to buy or publish) but I really like them as a format.

Essentially I end up making my own these days using lever arch/box files and looseleaf PDF & POD printing.

#11 Mankcam

Mankcam

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

I think I would love to see both formats produced for major campaigns

Hardcover books for default, and also boxed set versions with nice handouts for the fans - perhaps done as kickstarter projects if need be.

Hardcover books are more practical, but there is something much more fun about boxed sets :-)

#12 mvincent

mvincent

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

Another vote here for boxed sets

Ditto. I didn't think I liked them, but HotOE proved me wrong. The multi-book format is more convenient, and the loose paper props and bits really put it over the top.

#13 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Honestly, I was just thinking that Dreamlands might make a better boxed set than a campaign book - the same with the other alt-settings. Instead of stand alone books, you could sub-divide all of the various parts (character creation, bestiary, equipment, etc) into it's own little book, which makes it so much easier for a gaming group to share around the table. Especially for things like world maps, and maybe even some nice color plates of monsters to hold up to show what you are seeing.

(Wow, now there is a product I'd buy and/or Kickstart, a collection of a 5x7 or 8x11 color plates with a nice box to protect and store them, with good art of all the creatures that I could use in-game to show people what they see...)

There is nothing stopping Chaosium from also producing a nice hardcover that includes all the rules as well.

Actually, as I think about it - how a campaign for each of the alt settings, with the extra rules as part of the boxed set as I mentioned above, and then the extra rules can also be sold as a separate volume for people that didn't want the campaign? I like that idea even better.

D.

#14 numtini

numtini

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCape Schrod, Massachusetts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

I like to read the adventure from a single volume. It's just not convenient to have to raid a box full of little booklets. At an actual session, I want a smaller light easily opened book that contains only the material of interest. So for me, probably the best option is a hardcover with a PDF copy. I use the hardcover to read and then print the night's material from the PDF. 

The PDF really needs to be included when you're coughing up for a $50 hardcover. That seems to be the direction for the New Chaosium, but I wish they'd recon the backlist.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoC 7e, Convention, Podcast