#1 CthulhuBob

CthulhuBob

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationMissoula, Montana

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

Here is a 6th ed. Gaslight scenario I wrote. I'd appreciate feedback, and please feel free to use it if you like.

Iä!
MisCon 31, 26th-29th of May, 2017
www.miscon.org

#2 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:50 AM

Hi Bob.

I enjoyed the scenario. Here are a few ideas.

I'd locate the setting a bit more specifically in terms of county at least or the town (Emborough?) where the train arrives. It would also be good to indicate how long it takes to get to the house and give some indication how isolated it is.

If the investigators have been there before, they should know the former butler by name -- "good old Timpkins makes the best toddy" -- and the servants would know the other servants, might even have made friends with them and be disappointed and feel lonely when they have unexpectedly gone. (Webb's avowal that it's hard to keep servants will also ring hollow.)

I believe that in the 1860s a woman would travel with he lady's maid and they would share a bed, both for the sake of both reputations and for warmth.

It looks like typewriters weren't commercially produced until the end of the century.

I expect that the meeplings only mutter in French if they are not attacking.

I'd suggest the term 'family plot' rather than cemetery.

All in all it looks like an entertaining story.

Edited by Gaffer, 02 August 2016 - 01:59 AM.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#3 CthulhuBob

CthulhuBob

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Gaffer.  It'll take me a bit to incorporate changes, but I'll get to it.

Iä!
www.miscon.org

#4 CthulhuBob

CthulhuBob

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

I've cleaned this now and made a few changes/updates, including the ones suggested by Gaffrer.

http://shoggoth.net/...hu-by-gaslight/

Iä!
www.miscon.org

#5 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

I've had a quick couple of reads through.  It seems like an interesting premise and I think the idea's reasonably well sketched in along with a couple of necessary specific scenes.

I've got to confess that after a fairly strong start, I'm not entirely sure what to do with the second half of the scenario.  So if they don't figure it out, they're basically doomed (and so they should be).  If they unmask the culprit, there's a few variations on violent confrontation ranging from having to fight off a mob of enemies in an exciting siege to killing off the antagonist and probably making the rest retreat.  No problem with those.  It does feel to me as though an explicit resolution to the situation might be good though? 

Basically I can see a group discovering/guessing what's up, confronting the immediate antagonist and killing it with shotguns, and then... I don't really know how things end, if that makes sense?  It doesn't quite feel like there's a resolution if they go down that route.  I'm very tired though so might have missed something. 

Of course if they get killed off or flee the place in terror vowing never to return, those both work as endings, and I think climactic siege victory would too.

#6 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

It looks good to me, Bob.

To make identification of the fractured skull as human more definitive, you might give it a gold tooth. "Well, if it is a pig skull, he certainly had an able dentist."

I'd suggest that Webb has his chamber in the attic to give the visiting servants free rein in the cellars. Maybe the missing servants also had rooms up there which the visiting servants might want to investigate. Also, if someone goes prowling in Webb's room, what might they find? Perhaps a book with more information about the Lloigor that Webb has hidden away (that gap in the occult books shelf explained).

I love the idea of Philbrick and The Head struggling to control a revolver or knife.

In weather as bad as noted, it would be decidedly odd for Webb to keep going out in the garden. Perhaps instead he goes out to the terrace and stands at the marble balustrade. If he can be stealthed up on, he is heard speaking quietly in French (to a meepling out of sight in the garden below). He claims to be reciting French poetry: "A particular enthusiasm of mine." But the meepling might be spotted sneaking away toward the garden shed.

He might also be going out to the stables to tend the carriage horses and meeting his meeplings there.

You could sketch in the first night's dinner a bit to make Philbrick more of a presence. He drinks too much, apologizes for the dreadful food, regrets inviting them but is so glad they've come. After dinner one guest plays some Chopin and Philbrick drinks more then breaks out cursing himself and his damned curiosity that's doomed them all before passing out and being carried up to bed by a surprisingly strong Webb.

Finally, if they've brought their guns for skeet and birds, they should only have birdshot, which I think reduces lethality quite a bit (if you want it to). Philbrick's gun cabinet might have more powerful shells.

Ooops! Something more. I trust at least one guest or servant will be familiar with the intricacies of carriage tack and driving, in case an abrupt escape is warranted. Perhaps a noble four-in-hand enthusiast or a valet who rose from stablehand.

Again, I like the story quite a bit.

Ps - have rats scurrying in the walls.

Edited by Gaffer, 21 February 2017 - 04:05 PM.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#7 CthulhuBob

CthulhuBob

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

Awesome observations once again.  Hmmm, rats.

Iä!
www.miscon.org

#8 Thekinginpurple

Thekinginpurple

Neophyte

• 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

Thank you very much! My group are interested in gaslight, this is just the ticket!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaslight