Photo
- - - - -

Best Gaslight Scenarios? (For Re-publishing)

Gaslight

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

Yet another vote for Sacraments of Evil; all of them.

I far prefer the scenarios from the second edition of Gaslight to those of the first.

Generalising one reason for the latter preference, I'd rather not see characters from famous works of fiction.  Arthur Conan Doyle had a keen interest in justice, including making attempts to gather evidence to exonerate people who he thought had been wrongly convicted - he managed to secure at least two acquittals, which helped lead to the formation of the court of appeal.  In addition, he was a believer in the supernatural, with a general assumption that supernatural forces would be benign, and a general intent to publicise any evidence of it he came across.  I submit, he'd be a much more interesting inclusion than Sherlock Holmes.

I would echo Nick's comments, but further and in particular, I do not want to see scenarios involving either Sherlock Holmes or Jack the Ripper. I tend to find scenarios involving the Ripper that provide a Mythos explanation for his activities in poor taste and I tend to find scenarios involving Sherlock Holmes to not only a raging, boring cliche, but inexplicable since a mind like his would accept the uncaring nature of the universe and likely go insane. That is in addition to the fact that the presence of Holmes is tantamount to negating player agency since he would surely have surmised the existence of the Mythos.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#42 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

Alternately, you could have Holmes (or, I don't know, Solar Pons?) show up, and reveal himself to be a raging apopheniac who has a reputation for genius purely on the basis of Watson's sycophantic memoirs and buffaloing Lestrade with polysyllabic proclamations. 

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#43 golfsale

golfsale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:07 PM

I do not want to see scenarios involving either Sherlock Holmes or Jack the Ripper. 

I usually find Jack the Ripper utterly boring. The fact that I consider Return of the Ripper to be the best Gaslight supplement is all the more telling.

#44 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Alternately, you could have Holmes (or, I don't know, Solar Pons?) show up, and reveal himself to be a raging apopheniac who has a reputation for genius purely on the basis of Watson's sycophantic memoirs and buffaloing Lestrade with polysyllabic proclamations. 

Or, Holmes is just an actor, and everything is Watson's creation.

Of course, you could just watch "Without a Clue!" which is the same premise. It is one of my enjoyable whimsy movies about the Great Detective.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096454/

#45 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

I usually find Jack the Ripper utterly boring. The fact that I consider Return of the Ripper to be the best Gaslight supplement is all the more telling.

Definitely not a fan of Return of the Ripper.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#46 woodnoggin

woodnoggin

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

I prefer the scenarios in Dark Designs to those in Sacraments of Evil. We had a lot of fun with the scenes and recurring villain in the two connected Dark Designs scenarios. I believe the author wrote that he would change the ending of Eyes for the Blind were he to write it now, which may preclude a straight reprint.

For industrial gaslight scenarios there is Geoff Gillan's 'The Machine King'.

#47 Deodanth

Deodanth

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

Similarly I'd be quite interested in some of the monographs in terms of topic, like Sudan and Raj, but as I've heard the execution leaves something to be desired I haven't bought them. 

Glad that others have mentioned settings outside of London.  I'll put in a plug for "Spheres of Influence" from Mysteries of Sudan.  With some embellishment, it would make a full-fledged scenario and a nice romp through London, Rome, Cairo, Aswan, Khartoum, and possibly other locations.

#48 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:25 PM

Glad that others have mentioned settings outside of London.

I think it's particularly important - and the non-UK/US settings especially - for a couple of reasons. 

One, there's enough London-centric Victoriana out there that if there's any setting you can probably blag, it's London.  I mean, my London friends and historian friends might complain, but eh.  Making up other regions is tougher.  I have a vague, inaccurate picture in my head of what Cockney costermongers do but basically no idea what life was like for rural farmers, fishermen, middle-class families in small towns, etc. (and researching this is harder than I hoped).

Two, a lot of what is out there in English about other countries, especially the colonies and empire, is questionable and I'd really like a reliable source of information.  There's period and later literature about adventuring in the Nile or India or Mesoamerica, mostly written by Brits and Americans who might never have been there, and it tends to focus on specific things.  I'd have no confidence at all in making up a game, even set somewhere as familiar as France, let alone attempting to depict India.  And I'd also be worried that I was spectacularly distorting things, including stuff that was flat-out insulting because I didn't know any better, and so on.  I think most of us want the satisfaction of knowing that our games are mostly accurate and where they aren't it's an artistic choice on our part.

Can anyone advise on non-English scenarios that might be worth a look?  Because I'd also be interested in seeing some European settings, although I appreciate that's stretching the remit well beyond re-publishing to actual translation.

I prefer the scenarios in Dark Designs to those in Sacraments of Evil. We had a lot of fun with the scenes and recurring villain in the two connected Dark Designs scenarios. I believe the author wrote that he would change the ending of Eyes for the Blind were he to write it now, which may preclude a straight reprint.

For industrial gaslight scenarios there is Geoff Gillan's 'The Machine King'.

Thanks for the tip.

I thought there were lots of cool ideas and scenes in Dark Designs, including the basic premises, but they had structural issues.  I wonder what the revised ending would be?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaslight