Photo
- - - - -

Best Gaslight Scenarios? (For Re-publishing)

Gaslight

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 leonardolad

leonardolad

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSão José dos Campos, Brasil

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

If I had to choose a single scenario I would go with Sacraments of Evil from... well, Sacraments of Evil.

#22 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

A couple of years back I was involved in a book project to write some new CoC Gaslight scenarios ... in order to get an idea of what was already out there I put together a "cheat sheet" for myself which summarises the main Mythos themes, locations and plot points that have appeared in previously published scenarios. Maybe this list will be helpful to this discussion (even if only to help people recall which scenario is which).

It goes without saying that the summaries contain spoilers ... so don't read these if you're planning on playing in any published gaslight scenario anytime soon.

Gaslight, 1st & 2nd Edition
  • The Yorkshire Horror (Barton): Sherlock Holmes, Watson, Mycroft, Moriarty, Yorkshire, Beltane, Non-Euclidean Geometry, Rat-Things, Deep One taint, Dark Young, druids, octopus tattoo, Roman Britain, Church of the Starry Wisdom, night-gaunts, Manor under siege, Stonehenge, Nyarlathotep (Black Man, Crawling Chaos)
Dark Designs
  • Eyes For The Blind (Hallett): Creepy blind guys, the “spirit of Britain”, the Green Man, gypsies, Dr John Dee, Henley Regatta, Robin Hoods Bower, London “Rookeries”, Cornwall, Avebury megaliths
  • Menace From Sumatra (Jacklin): Plague/Taint brought back from primitive East, amnesiac missing person, East Indies company steamships
  • Lord of the Dance (Hallett): London Underground, Waxworks, Cornish Neolithic site, “Horn Dance” at Thaxted (occult ritual), Tollesbury on te Essex Coast (gate to Dreamlands & the “Sunken City”), pre-Roman ruins uncovered by Underground excavation, people trapped in mirrors, Tindalos
Sacraments of Evil
  • Eyes of a Stranger (Aniolowski): séance, Inscrutable Chinese gang (Si-Fan), Fu Manchu, Freemason conspiracy, red herring link to Jack the Ripper, Yekubians & Juk-Shabb, Coach Chase
  • Masterwork of Nicholas Forby (Love): rural Middlesex, Recurring Family Curse, Statue Animated by Unquiet Spirit, Poetic Justice inflicted upon heirs, Treasure Hunt, “green man”
  • Plant Y Daear (Ross): Black Mountains of Wales, Little People of Welsh folklore, Realms beneath the hills, Child of half-faerie (=tainted) blood, Serpent Person, Black Stone (related to Black Monolith?), Siege of the Little People!
  • Sacraments of Evil (Behrendt): York Minster Cathedral, Clergy, Aristocrat fallen on hard times, lloigor trapped within statue, Pair of killers each with different MO, surgical murders (pineal removed), killer acting under mental domination, Hunchback bookseller
  • The Scuttling (Woods, Ross): Sailing voyage to New York, Bust of Lady Jane Grey , Undersea quake
  • Signs Writ In Scarlet (Ross): London’s East End, ritualistic murders (committed by a mad woman), creepy asylums, immoral experiments, Liao Drug, Hounds of Tindalos, Insane victim retreating into another persona, NPC with romantic attachment to murderer, police coroners, Vigilance committee
Taint of Madness
  • Turnabout (Tice, Appel, Rowe): Bedlam Asylum, Animal sacrifice in Hyde Park, Nyarlathotep, Lunatics taking over the asylum (clup)
Golden Dawn (Pagan Pub)
  • The Room Beyond (Tynes): Lovecraft’s “From Beyond”, W.B. Yeats, Golden Dawn ritual, astral plane
  • Hell Hath no Fury (Hatherley): Family curse, Freemasons, Witch burnings, Derbyshire, Arthurian Legend, painted-over fresco, byakhee, scary woods, Celtic carved wards
  • La Musique de la Nuit (Aniolowski): Paris, Phantom of the Opera, Denizens of Yaddith, young Erich Zann, Golden Dawn Paris temple, Gaston Leroux, Thugee cult, Napoleon’s tomb
  • Sheela-na-gig (Tynes, Hall, Ross): King Arthur as a worshipper of Shub-Niggurath, attack on St. Pauls cathedral, Aleister Crowley, Goatswood, Soho brothel, Holy Grail, Celtic carvings, Ripper-like prostitute murders in Whitechapel, astral parasites, Dark Young
Return of the Ripper (Monograph)
  • Return of the Ripper (Barton): East End, Orginal Ripper Murders, New Ripper murders, prostitutes, Tcho-Tcho ritual curse, Dimensional Shambler, “psychic vampire”, ghouls, Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum, Y’Golonac, Giant Rat of Sumatra, Country Estate (Barnet, north of Camden), Coal Mine in Clackmannen (Scotland)
Cthulhu Britannica (Cubicle 7)
  • Bad Company (Bligh): Decadent Upper Class, Son of Peer goes missing, Fake “deposed Eastern European aristocrat” actually a Mythos god called Chernabog (=Y’Golonac), bohemians associated with the Theatre, blackmail letters, overarching desire to avoid scandal even at ridiculous costs, back-street “hack” doctor, London Slums, (optional Russian agents), pursued by hack journalist, poor proof-reading
Gaslight, 3rd Edition
  • Night of the Jackals (Ross): British Military in Egypt, mummy, cursed treasure & string of related deaths, Egyptian cult desperate to regain artifacts removed by explorers, Child of the Sphinx, Charing Cross Station, Society clubs, Estate in Hampstead, Islington, ritual to resurrect mummy
  • The Burnt Man (Watts): Dartmoor, Little People, Shub-Niggurath, Wicker Man, druidic sacrifices documented by Romans, monoliths, purported haunting, Winter Solstice, Death of Peer of the Realm, ancient family curse, Gypsies

Dean (from Adelaide)

Edited by dce, 15 July 2016 - 03:15 PM.

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#23 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

Wouldn't an omnibus that combined both Dark Designs and Sacraments of Evil make the most sense?  (If nine scenarios is too unwieldy for one book, maybe pull a Ross scenario or two and make that part of the book that is already being planned, which, IIRC, is by Ross.) Then, maybe down the road, pull together all the Barton material into one book?

A Western and Colonial book is really needed to show folks that Gaslight is not just hansom cabs in London.

#24 DAR

DAR

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:40 PM

Similarly I'd be quite interested in some of the monographs in terms of topic, like Sudan and Raj, but as I've heard the execution leaves something to be desired I haven't bought them.  Raj in particular seems promising because it's quite a likely place for both NPCs and Investigators to have travelled or even lived, so it'd be for character background and it should be relatively easy to introduce links (or skeletons in the closet) from the past.  A revamped version I might buy.

I was so excited by Raj - and then was really disappointed. I agree that it is a setting book rife with potential, unfortunately the monograph delivered none of it :-(

I think it is a prime example of just how little work was put into actually vetting the monographs by that era of Chaosium.

I've got what I would consider to be a very expansive CoC collection and I've only been able to borrow a copy of Golden Dawn so I could read it.

Same, but I've been a supporter of Pagan ever since the early days. I've only ever sold off things that I could immediately replace - so the Eyes Only Chapbooks were replaced by the collected book, and all of my old boxed Chaosium sets were replaced by the reprinted books. The boxed sets I have some nostalgia for, but not enough that I would pay the insane prices that people paid for them on Ebay 10+ years ago (most of them shipped to Australia IIRC).

D.

#25 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

I was lucky enough to pick up Golden Dawn at the Conception Bring and Buy a few years back. I don't think the seller know how much it would have been worth on eBay.

#26 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

A couple of years back I was involved in a book project to write some new CoC Gaslight scenarios ... in order to get an idea of what was already out there I put together a "cheat sheet" for myself which summarises the main Mythos themes, locations and plot points that have appeared in previously published scenarios. Maybe this list will be helpful to this discussion (even if only to help people recall which scenario is which).

Dean, that's brilliant, cheers.

From that I've pulled together a loose and inaccurate picture of the settings of these 19 scenarios:

10 of them are primarily in London

5-6 involve a country estate, 2-3 are primarily there (the rest are partly in London)

1-2 are primarily rural, and 2-3 more have some rural sections

1 is in Paris

1 is aboard a ship

1 is in another historic British city

4 (included above) move between London and elsewhere

There seems to be a shortage of industrial scenarios, which is a shame - I've seen a couple of very promising ideas here on the site, and I think it's actually one of the features of Gaslight that I do find interestingly different and appealing.  I'd like to see more stuff that's actually about the Industrial Age side of things.  There's also a London and southern bias in general, which is understandable, but again I'd like to see more variety.  But that's off-topic.

To get back on-topic, I'm trying to decide if it'd be better to see:

a) scenarios re-released which are amenable to being tied together, perhaps encouraging people to dip a toe in the waters of a Gaslight mini-campaign

B) scenarios released which are distinctly different, showcasing some of the rich possibilities available, but perhaps leaving people scratching their heads about using them

#27 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

A Western and Colonial book is really needed to show folks that Gaslight is not just hansom cabs in London.

Cthulhu by Genocide?

Edited by The_Tatterdemalion_King, 15 July 2016 - 07:45 PM.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#28 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

While its not a scenario, the Gaslight Equipment Catalogue would be a great enhancement to any gaslight scenario guide. (Assuming its contents aren't in the 7th ed book or recent gaslight reprint, which I didn't think it was)

#29 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:07 PM

Cthulhu by Genocide?

Sadly, that could be a title for any Cthulhu time period offering, paleolithic to (probably) future.

The point is that exploration, gold rushes, railroad building, etc. (and the according clashes between peoples) were much more a part of Gaslight CoC than they were Classic CoC but for some reason Gaslight CoC seems to only be perceived as foggy London.  Quincey Morris, Texan adventurer, is just as much a part of Dracula as is Jonathan Harker, solicitor.

#30 ColdSteel

ColdSteel

Master

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAlone in the Dark.

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:08 AM

http://www.yog-sotho...-gotham-legion/

#31 bastthecatgoddess

bastthecatgoddess

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

I think the Yorkshire Horror should be republished, if only because it wasn't included in 3rd edition, but also cause its a good adventure.

Other than that i agree with everyone else about Sacraments of Evil, not really a fan of Dark Designs.

But for the most part i would just like new adventures, which thankfully is happening with the upcoming campaign Curse of Seven.

On Pagan Publishing and pdfs: I believe the reason why delta green was allowed to be in pdf format was because John Crowe wasn't really involved with that book. But for The Golden Dawn, i think it's worth reminding that one of the authors of that books is "Alan Smithee", they probably won't be able to get his permission to republish it. Which is a shame.

#32 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,409 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

For those who don't know who "Alan Smithee" is (it's a US term), here's a link explaining the name.

Alan Smithee

#33 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

Another upvote for the Gaslight Equipment Catalogue Monograph from me.

It's more than its name suggests - it has useful articles on healthcare, postal methods, gun law in Britain, the encroachment of electricity and more.

Well worth a purchase ( you can still get POD on DriveThru I think ).

I think it's so good it should be "promoted" by Chaosium to be a Cthulhu by Gaslight Companion.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#34 Lammomedes

Lammomedes

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

Another upvote for the Gaslight Equipment Catalogue Monograph from me.

It's more than its name suggests - it has useful articles on healthcare, postal methods, gun law in Britain, the encroachment of electricity and more.

Well worth a purchase ( you can still get POD on DriveThru I think ).

I think it's so good it should be "promoted" by Chaosium to be a Cthulhu by Gaslight Companion.

I don't particularly like "me too!" posts, but I'll second Tony on this. It's so good, I have two copies of it (the first crappy binding, and the second better binding). It's essential (and I don't use that word often) for a Gaslight campaign.

#35 littleo

littleo

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

I have the majority of the Pagan books including the rare stuff, but it's a shame they can't be put on Drivethru or sold through Arc Dream. Yes some people will pass them around, but many more will buy them, cherish them, and run them for their groups. The Pagan books are some of the best written rpg books in my collection. The extreme position against pdf frankly strikes me as a bit paranoid.

M

#36 skaye

skaye

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

(this might be better as a new topic, if so mods work your magic)

Almost 10 years ago I'd corresponded with William Barton about Gaslight U.S. plans - he'd mentioned he had some ideas for the Wild West, and there was also a Wild West monograph Chaosium had received. Not sure if that's the same as Kevin Ross' thing.

I also have vague memories of Badger working on something for Gaslight New York.

Worlds of Cthulhu #2 had "The Good, the Bad and the Utterly Insane" (thank you, Yog-Sothoth.com wiki, for reminding me!) and there are more Wild West scenarios listed on the Wiki.

#37 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

"I also have vague memories of Badger working on something for Gaslight New York."

This would be an excellent supplement to see come to light!

Edited by Mysterioso, 16 July 2016 - 09:52 PM.

#38 Dr_Zarnak

Dr_Zarnak

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:36 AM

Didn't Old Chaosium have a Gaslight Companion in the works? There was a lot that wasn't covered in the core book - for example, the rest of Britain - perhaps this was going to do that? A Severn Valley campaign would be neat.

I would put Fred Behrendt's "Sacraments of Evil" on top of my Gaslight adventure list - imo, the best Ripper-type adventure that's been published - with the mini-campaign in Dark Designs a close second. I'm also quite fond of the three adventures concerning Arthur of Britain in Golden Dawn - what an excellent twist to the classic tale.

On my wish list would be an adventure involving Dracula - a very 1890's character. There was an excellent three-parter in Roleplayer Independent that was a sequel to Stoker's tale, but a novel approach like that taken in the recent Dracula Dossier - or even Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, where the Count is cast in a less villainous role - would be equally welcome.

#39 Judgetrev

Judgetrev

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:59 AM

Captain Nemo searching for R'yleh would be cool. Did anyone make that yet?

#40 SunlessNick

SunlessNick

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

Yet another vote for Sacraments of Evil; all of them.

I far prefer the scenarios from the second edition of Gaslight to those of the first.

Generalising one reason for the latter preference, I'd rather not see characters from famous works of fiction.  Arthur Conan Doyle had a keen interest in justice, including making attempts to gather evidence to exonerate people who he thought had been wrongly convicted - he managed to secure at least two acquittals, which helped lead to the formation of the court of appeal.  In addition, he was a believer in the supernatural, with a general assumption that supernatural forces would be benign, and a general intent to publicise any evidence of it he came across.  I submit, he'd be a much more interesting inclusion than Sherlock Holmes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gaslight